• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Mission Impossible II - The Spence Edit

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everyone!

I'm taking a little time off from my Justice League project. It's nearly done, but I've been working on it a lot and it's still not quite where I want it to be. I'm taking a little break so I can look at it down the road with fresh eyes.

So my project I've decided to work on is one I've been thinking about for a while. Mission Impossible is my favorite franchise, I've enjoyed every film in the series so far. However, I always found Mi-2 to stand out from the group a bit. I really enjoy the story of the film and some of the action beats are great, but it feels incredibly dated. It sticks out so much because it's the only film in the series that is so clearly from the time it was made. It's full of late 90's/ early 2000's rock music, Matrix-y slow motion, and other "cool for the time" elements that haven't aged well at all.

But! I think there's a really good movie in there. The script, by the legendary Robert Towne, is a solid Hitchcock esque caper full of twists, turns, backstabs and reveals. The performances overall are great, with Tom Cruise giving a charming turn as a softer and more romantic Ethan, a deliciously dirtbag villain, and one of the best female leads the series has had. Also, though they lay the "John Woo-ness" on a little too thick at times, the action is well staged and choreographed.

So the goal here is to remove the dated elements of MI-2, pick up the pace, and bring it more in line with the other films in the seires.

Overall goals:
- Replace the majority of the music with music from other films in the series.
- Up the pace. This movie has a weird structure in that there really isn't a big action scene till almost halfway through the film, and then it's just non-stop action for the second half. The middle third of the film needs some serious trims to get the film moving.
- Remove a lot of the over the top John Woo moments. I love John Woo, and I definitely still want it to feel like a John Woo film, but they go so hard on some of his trademarks that it ventures into parody. Slow motion scenes that drag on or show the same shot from 5 different angles will be trimmed. Some of the slow-mo will be trimmed just for action pacing.

Here's a more detailed cutlist of what I've done so far, I'll update it as I get further in.
- Remove the opening sequence that explains Chimera, as it gets reiterated multiple times later on. The film now starts on the plane.
- Remove Ethan climbing the mountain. It's cool but useless. It's mentioned that he was on vacation later, which gives enough set up and gets the movie moving.
- We now transition from the plane crashing to an all new title sequence that's more in keeping with the later films.
- We and Naya do not see Ethan until he pops up behind her in the bathtub. This gives a more intriguing start.
- Trimmed some of the car crash ballet so it doesn't feel like they're staring at each other for 3 minutes straight.
- Trimmed a little of the bedroom scene when Ethan and Naya wake up for pacing.
- Trimmed Hopkins' line to just "She's a woman, she's got all the training she needs." Same effect, slightly less creepy.
- Trimmed the EXTREME introducion of Luther and Billy. I also cut the majority of Luther's references to his expensive clothes. I did keep "punk put a hole in my Versace" because it's actually funny and we need a joke at that point.
- Cut that really silly "reflection in Ethan's sunglasses" bit.
- Trimmed the "Oh no the satellite isn't working!" stuff out when Naya reaches Ambrose. They're just spying on her as normal.
- Cut the finger cutting scene. It's not necessary, that dude's finger can just be busted as a character thing. It doesn't need a back story and Ambrose ignores him anyway.
- Retained the majority of the betting track scene. It's the most Hitchcock the movie gets and I'm here for it.
- Trimmed down some of the Brendan Gleeson interrogation/exposition scene. Some of the dialogue in there is... not good. And it slows down the movie tremendously.
- Made Ethan's trip through Biocyte to destroy the Chimera samples a little faster. We know Ambrose is coming for him, so unless they're in the worlds slowest elevator, it shouldn't take that long for the bad guys to arrive.
- Cut up a lot of the big Biocyte shoot out to remove some silly shots and slow-mo. Also, I'm not sure why there's like 4 establishing shots to show that Ambrose is there, but I decided one would suffice.
- Cut up a lot of Ehtan's raid on the Chimera sale for action pacing.
- Cut up the rest of the movie for action pacing.
- Reworked Ambrose's death for impact. The shot order they used for that made absolutely no sense. Why do we see Ambrose get shot, then Ethan continues firing, then Ambrose is still just still slowly rolling over? It could be a cool moment but as edited it's really strange.

The music replacement on this one will take some time. Certain scenes have a pretty clean center channel, while others have part of the music on it. Some sound FX will need to be replaced.

Here's the new opening WIP:

This is a cool project, and great work on the new titles! As usual, I'd suggest adding a little bit of gaussian blur to the new texts so they look more optically-printed and less like digital additions.

Incidentally, do you have any particular plans for the Seville procession scene? For non-Spaniards I guess it's just something that looks weird and cool, but in Spain that scene is widely derided and laughed off because they mixed the Seville processions (taking the saint statues out to the streets) with the completely unrelated Fallas of Valencia (setting sculptures on fire). Would it be possible to remove the statues burning?

This is a cool project, and great work on the new titles! As usual, I'd suggest adding a little bit of gaussian blur to the new texts so they look more optically-printed and less like digital additions.

Incidentally, do you have any particular plans for the Seville procession scene? For non-Spaniards I guess it's just something that looks weird and cool, but in Spain that scene is widely derided and laughed off because they mixed the Seville processions (taking the saint statues out to the streets) with the completely unrelated Fallas of Valencia (setting sculptures on fire). Would it be possible to remove the statues burning?
I hadn't considered it from that point of view, but I have and will continue to make trims to that sequence, so if it makes continuity/pacing sense I'll look into it. It may not make logical sense but it's hard to deny that it's a cool visual.

I hadn't considered it from that point of view, but I have and will continue to make trims to that sequence, so if it makes continuity/pacing sense I'll look into it. It may not make logical sense but it's hard to deny that it's a cool visual.
Coolness! :) Also, since we're at it and since you are doing score replacement to begin with, let me add another suggestion for that scene:

Adding insult to injury, they even got the procession's music completely wrong. What they used is the "Danza Prima", which is from Asturias, NORTHERN Spain. As removed from Seville (SOUTHERN Spain) as humanly possible:

The musical landscape for the scene should actually sound like this:

The music replacement on this one will take some time. Certain scenes have a pretty clean center channel, while others have part of the music on it. Some sound FX will need to be replaced.

Looks like we have a pretty similar approach for this one. Good luck on the music changes. That alone put my project on hiatus for over a year :oops: If you find any good solutions let me know :)

Looks like we have a pretty similar approach for this one. Good luck on the music changes. That alone put my project on hiatus for over a year :oops: If you find any good solutions let me know :)
Some of it isn't too bad with the surround mix. There's sections that will require a bit of FX work and some tricky editing around the dialogue, but I'm pretty confident I can get it to work.

Also, just want you to know I haven't seen or read about any other edits of this movie beforehand. I always try to avoid that so as not to colour my plans. Good luck with your version!

Some of it isn't too bad with the surround mix. There's sections that will require a bit of FX work and some tricky editing around the dialogue, but I'm pretty confident I can get it to work.

Also, just want you to know I haven't seen or read about any other edits of this movie beforehand. I always try to avoid that so as not to colour my plans. Good luck with your version!

Same here. I've always appreciated your edits so it's nice to know that we have like minds :) I'm particiularly intriugued by your focus on the Biocyte facility showdown. The score is extremely hard to take out there and bleeds over into the center channel throughout. Lots of sfx replacement needed there.

2viv5d.jpg

Awesome that there are two attempts to fix this one! Please do consider the suggestions for the Seville scene I gave above for your edit as well. :)

Now THIS really is something I'm looking forward to.

Till now, my least fave of the franchise, but this will put it right back where it needs to be.

ps

Drop in some Lorne Balfe if you can... his scores I think are outstanding....and big props to you on the revised opening....

Really looking forward to this! This is one of my favorite franchises, but II just does not hold up.

Here's a little music test I did. There's a few cuts in here for pacing, and I'm still missing a few sound effects, but it gives you an idea of how the vibe changes.

EDIT: Here's a rough version of the kicking the gun bit at the end. Simplifying the sequence of events and removing unnecessary shots increases the impact makes it a more exciting moment.

Last edited:
For your opening, not in love with the credit fonts and I would do white over red for accessibility reasons. The font works fine for a logo, but feels lacking for continual credits.

EDIT: Here's a rough version of the kicking the gun bit at the end. Simplifying the sequence of events and removing unnecessary shots increases the impact makes it a more exciting moment.

What about the idea to rearrange the shot so that Sean Ambrose shoots first. That always bugged me, no one is fast enough to duck a bullet and Ethan is just throwing himself to the ground. If Ambrose is hit first the chance he pulls up the gun is signaficantly higher = ethan not hit

MI2 is definitely the weakest movie of the franchise. As i mentioned to Dig in his thread, any chance of doing something with Dougray Scott...he annoyed the hell out of me for some reason but its been so long since i watched MI2 i can't even remember why :)

What about the idea to rearrange the shot so that Sean Ambrose shoots first. That always bugged me, no one is fast enough to duck a bullet and Ethan is just throwing himself to the ground. If Ambrose is hit first the chance he pulls up the gun is signaficantly higher = ethan not hit
I tried that and it didn't quite feel right. I have reworked this moment a bit more since I posted that test, I'm pretty happy with how it lands currently.

I've got the majority of the music replacement figured out. I'm keeping a few bits of the Zimmer score when it's not worth the effort of replacing, and if it feels fitting with the rest of the movie. I'm struggling right now with something to go with the Seville robbery at the beginning, when Naya and Ethan are in the bathtub. The Zimmer music, frankly, is awful, and it sounds like bad dirty movie music. I just haven't found anything I like enough to replace it with.

Once all the music is in and I've finished up all my edits, I'll start doing the sound effects. Surprisingly there's pretty large portions of the movie where I could just keep the center channel, but some major action beats aren't allowing for it. The biggest hurdle is going to be the Biocyte gunfight and the beginning of the end chase sequence. The soundtrack is all over the center channel in those sections.

I'm going to need to purchase some gunshots, explosions, and helicopter sounds. Anybody have a recommendation for a good, inexpensive pack I can pick up?

I would love to see this fanedit when it’s done. This is one of my favorite franchises and of course, the second one was a major disappointment, especially compared to so many other John Woo movies and the rest of the franchise itself.

I'm going to need to purchase some gunshots, explosions, and helicopter sounds. Anybody have a recommendation for a good, inexpensive pack I can pick up?

Have you tried the usual place at Freesound.org i've just recently used a good helicopter sound for my Mandy edit.

I would love to see this fanedit when it’s done. This is one of my favorite franchises and of course, the second one was a major disappointment, especially compared to so many other John Woo movies and the rest of the franchise itself.
There is a little bit of a "polishing a turd" element to all this, and it's still going to be my least favorite in the franchise, but there's so much room for improvement by just making some changes.

This movie really can't overcome it's structure. There's only 2 action scenes in the whole movie and they're both in the second half. The beginning and middle will always be a bit of a slog to get through, but upping the pace of the existing scenes helps it get where it needs to go.

If I can help people slot it into a marathon and have a better time with it, then mission accomplished!

I heard there exists a rare international cut that restores some additional violent shots that were previously excised at the behest of the MPA (formerly the MPAA). If only that was publicly available… 😔

Back
Top Bottom