• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Mimicking/Ripping off Retail DVD Cover Art?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I think in general is cooler and more interesting when fanedit cover artists make something original. Obviously we have a wealth of talented cover artists on here who have come up with some amazing artwork and designs! But then there are guys like myself who barely know their way around Photoshop (despite having watched Throwncpr's tutorial half a dozen times! :oops:). And also guys like myself who are not super creative when it comes to this stuff and end up coming up with some pretty blah/bland/boring artwork.

I'm just curious if you guys consider it a faux pas, "no-no" etc. to flat out mimic/rip off the cover art design of the retail dvd when making your own fanedit cover art? Is doing it once or twice acceptable, as long as you don't become a one trick pony?

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts as I am working on some cover art for a new fanedit I have in the works and I'm considering using the exact cover art design and just putting the new title on the cover.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
I'm just curious if you guys consider it a faux pas, "no-no" etc. to flat out mimic/rip off the cover art design of the retail dvd when making your own fanedit cover art?

While I do not make cover art that is heavily based on that of the retail disc myself, I do not consider doing so unacceptable as long as the result (like the edit itself) is sufficiently different from the original. Your concerns are understandable because not everyone is artistic, but I would sooner see faneditors have a go at their own cover art than see others do it for them, even if the result looks derivative.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with Captain. I don't really see a problem with it. Originality is nice, and it may help to set yourself apart from the original film, but it's best when the editor has a crack at it themselves before begging others to do it.

You edit a movie, I don't seen how editing the cover art is any different :p

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cover art does not have to be spectacular, it should however be recognizable as NOT the original just as Captain K notes. Think of your cover as something that should represent the edit in that it IS NOT the original film, but something unique. Unique and average is more desirable than spectacular but hard to discern from the original ;)

For instance, I thought your 21 Grams re-balanced cover art was great because while almost identical to the original, it was also 100% the opposite of the original and represented how your edit was different than the original film.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
For instance, I thought your 21 Grams re-balanced cover art was great because while almost identical to the original, it was also 100% the opposite of the original and represented how your edit was different than the original film.

Just a note, g1orkatsos actually did the cover art for 21 Grams Rebalanced.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yup, I recall, but the concept still stands, it's a variation on the original artwork, that is what I was trying to point out :)

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
Yup, I recall, but the concept still stands, it's a variation on the original artwork, that is what I was trying to point out :)

Ahh ok, just wanted to make sure to give credit where its due. But yes I understand your point!

Top Bottom