• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Migrating project to external hard drive

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want to be able to save a very large project onto an external drive for backup purposes. Saving the project file there, with the option "Copy media with project" seems to work - the files are indeed copied over to the external drive. However, I received a warning, indicating that some files had to be renamed. Furthermore, opening the file on the external drive results in a media missing/offline error, and the clips on the timeline still appear to be pointing to the versions on my internal hard drive. Am I doing something wrong?

You could always manually redirect those few files that aren't cooperating.

If file-paths are invalid, some programs look for files in the same directory as the project file, so it might be worth checking that everything is in the same directory.

I have my Vegas projects on both a main PC and a backup laptop, both for safety and for flexibility (I can work on one if my wife is using the other, for instance). What I did was copy everything (Vegas files, source files, additional files) between the two using the exact same folder structure, and it's worked flawlessly.

Back
Top Bottom