• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Merging seperate BD clips loslessly, is it possible?

T-itanium

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm intrested in putting some BD clips together losslessly as some sort of customized collection, but I've been trying to merge some other h.264 footages made from softwares like Freemake and such, with supposedly same setting as far as I can see, cut-by-keyframe and merge through Avidemux using append/copy, and everytime the result look screwed up on and since the point where they are put together.
My guess is things get much more complicated with h.264 than with MPEG2.

Thus my questions are:
1. if I put different BD clips together, even from sources with same codec, frame rate, and audio format, can it even be done as there are tons more variables other than mere keyframes like back in days of mpeg-2?
2. Can such obstacle be oveerriden with BD-compliant playlist?
3. Can clips with different codec played consecutively under one single title through above mentioned playlist?

Thank you in advance!

Radzinsky

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Check out a program called Machete. It's awesome for lossless merging and cutting of video files--even HD ones. It also allows basic editing, though the cuts can only be made on keyframes.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The open source way to do this is with MKVmerge. If it's the exact same codec, framerate, etc., you can simply write

Code:
mkvmerge -o newfile.mkv part1.mkv +part2.mkv

from the command line, and MKVmerge will take care of the rest. MKVtoolnix GUI does the same thing (it's a front-end for the MKVmerge command (among others)), but through a convoluted interface, if that's your thing.

EDIT: Obviously, this presupposes that your BD files is already muxed as MKV files. But this is simple to do if your files are in a different format, and shouldn't pose a problem.

Top Bottom