• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Max: A Collateral Fan Edit by Messenjah14

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what kind of fanedit (true fanedit = TF, extended edition = EE, special collection & preservation = SP): TF

[youtube:2puqx3y2]

tagline: Everything will change

original film name: Collateral
new film name : Max
film studio name : Paramount Pictures& Dreamworks SKG
edit crew name : Messenjah14
Date Original Film Was Released : 2004
Date Edit Was Released : 11 August 2007
Original Runtime : 115 minutes
New Runtime : 74 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added : You do the math.

Cuts removed/added/extended :
- Added a new title screen
- Cut Vincent at the airport.
- Cut Vincent in the building where Max drops Annie.
- Cut Vincent walking around during the first hit.
- Cut the detective going into the apartment where the first hit took place.
- Cut the second victim being shown.
- Cut the detective at the crime scene with his partner.
- Cut the detective going to the fifth floor.
- Cut the detective at the morgue.
- Cut the cops entirely out of the restaurant scene. I had to leave Vincent though, since otherwise a transition at one point would seem weird.
- Cut the cops discussing Vincent outside their hideout.
- Cut the cops from the driving montages, and added some new music.
- Then there's the new ending, of which I won't spoil anything. If you wish to question my decision of making the ending the way it is, I appreciate the comments and will be glad to explain why I did that.

Fanedit details (please add here details about DVD contents as well as video and audio information):
The DVD will contain the following:
16:9 widescreen picture
Trailer
Original Ending
Scene Selection
Optional English Subtitles

Your intention for this fanedit: To portray the story from the perspective of Max, and to make it far more depressing than it previously was.

Your way to achieve your intention: Cutting away everything that doesn't feature Max, and make the ending way sader.

Hardware and software information (what did you use to create your fanedit): Womble, DVD Lab Pro 2, DVD Decrypter, DVD Fab Platinum, DVDShrink and Subtitle Workshop

Additional Comment: -

Time needed for the edition: Planning: 115 minutes Editing: 2 days DVD making: 2 Days

persons involved: messenjah14

Additional information links: -

Maybe downloadable from info

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hihi... now I know why it is named MAX. Can I also see VINCENT? ;-)
Let's see what you made of this one. And it looks like you mnade a hell of a DVD there. That's the way I like it. Devoted to REAL entertainment. :)
From the release I see oyu do it like 3Raz0r, right? Release an avi as torrent and the DVD via Rapidshare. I think this is a cool way to handle it. At least THIS gives you a hell lot of downloads and promotes the idea of fanediting. Having seen 3Raz0rs incredible numbers for HILLS HAVE EYES 2 S.A.H.E. I got my doubts for the first time on releaseing full fanedit DVDs via torrent. I mean, hey, who had 1500+ downloads the last time for a fanedit?

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
hihi... now I know why it is named MAX. Can I also see VINCENT? ;-)
Let's see what you made of this one. And it looks like you mnade a hell of a DVD there. That's the way I like it. Devoted to REAL entertainment. :)
From the release I see oyu do it like 3Raz0r, right? Release an avi as torrent and the DVD via Rapidshare. I think this is a cool way to handle it. At least THIS gives you a hell lot of downloads and promotes the idea of fanediting. Having seen 3Raz0rs incredible numbers for HILLS HAVE EYES 2 S.A.H.E. I got my doubts for the first time on releaseing full fanedit DVDs via torrent. I mean, hey, who had 1500+ downloads the last time for a fanedit?
Thanks, I even made a video background for the DVD menus but that didn't work out due to technical difficulties. If it was up to me, I wouldn't even make a DVD, since I hate uploading 'em, but people like to get some pimped out discs and I might as well could provide them with them.

EDIT: I was going to make an audio commentary too, but my mic on my headset is crap.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i definitely think that dvds should be released. maybe torrent isnt the best method, but the dvd version should be available, and its even more cool when you put the time and cool extras into them. Is too bad you couldnt get the commentary completed. I think we need more of these. Sounds like you got a very cool release here, messenjah :)

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
torrent seems like the best method to me

easiest to access. demonoid is pretty good about keeping torrents alive.

Vengeance

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You may also like to know that the Direct Download section has been re-opened which offers FTP uploading, as well as unlimited downloads, and no waiting time.

-Vengeance

gekko

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is the xvid/h264 version available on bittorrent somewhere?

@Vengeance,
What is the advantage of FTP over bittorrent? Doesn't FTP speeds slow down the more people who download simultaneously?

I remember the good old days of ratio FTP servers, before Napster. ;)

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gekko said:
Is the xvid/h264 version available on bittorrent somewhere?
I'll publish it at the same time with the DVD. Meaning some time next week.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
why would you publish them at the same time? Are there more seeders than just you?

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
why would you publish them at the same time? Are there more seeders than just you?
Umm, I am NOT torrenting the DVD. It will be up at RS. I will publish the xvid version as a torrent. After I'm done uploading the DVD, I will post the links here and publish the xvid as a torrent over at Demonoid.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ah. ok!!! RS is always great :D

gekko

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if you can, be sure to add a public tracker to the torrent as well when you create it. some people may not have demonoid accounts. so you can have demonoid as the primary and thepiratebay, for example, as a second tracker in the torrent.

Vengeance

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@gekko,

The good thing about FTP over BitTorrent is that there is no need to seed, no account needed and no waiting times.

-Vengeance

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gekko said:
if you can, be sure to add a public tracker to the torrent as well when you create it. some people may not have demonoid accounts. so you can have demonoid as the primary and thepiratebay, for example, as a second tracker in the torrent.
Well yeah, I think I'll just use PB's tracker since Demonoid allows for outsider trackers to be used in their site.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you can also just upload the torrent to mininova. It then uses the same tracker as demonoid, but anyone can download, because the tracker of demonoid is an open one, but the website isn't.
Uploading to both demonoid and pirateby with the demonoid tracker is a bit tricky, but I wrote a guide about that in the how to section. You need a torrent maker that supports multitracking for that (like azureus).

gekko

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
utorrent can also create torrents with multiple trackers. just be sure to add an empty line between the tracker urls to separate tracker groups.

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
4yt73g2.jpg

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, finally I watched this (it was on my list for long) and here is my little review:

The edit:
The image quality is pretty good, no stuttering and no rough cuts, almost perfectly executed. In the finale, when the text shows up, there is a problem with the black bars, but it is minor. Also the text is a bit too small which makes it a bit hard too read.

the audio quality is great. Very well mixed, no flaws, good volume level.

editing: 4 of 5
image quality: 5 of 5
audio quality: 5 of 5

Entertainment:

To me this is a great fanedit. It improves the original, which was to me dragging getting real close to boring, a lot. The movie is real short now, but not too short. It's a movie about MAX, taxi driver, dreamer, loser, who meets the wrong guy on the wrong day and is forced to face his inner and outer demons. This was the main part of the original as well, but it is far better executed here. The movie has an altered focus, turning both Max and Vincent into much more plausible guys. It's all about reality and control.
Still there are 2 scenes in this movie that I don't like, most of all the scene, when Max talks to Vincent's boss, pretending he is Vincent and suddenly makes that turn from shy guy to tough guy. I didn't buy that in the original and I still don't buy it in the fanedit. To me Max behaves untypical there, this does not fit his profile and should have been addressed in the fanedit. Next scene is the nightclub shootout. It is too much of everything, too over the top, like it was from a different movie. I think this should have been more edited.
The new ending is great. It is far far superior to the original ending. I wished the image would have been slowed down to stand still, instead of being gone so fast and I wished the ending text was bigger and there were end credits of any kind, so the movie could finish and the audience (me) would get time to think it all over. Maybe with a cool song.
Still, this one is GREAT and it easily replaces the original in the order of what I would rather watch. What was cut here, is not at all missed, especially not that ridiculous original ending.
This is still a kind of dragging movie for me, but much more enjoyable.
4 of 5

Extras:[/b]
The extras are simply put: great. English subtitles!!! A cool menu with sound. Carefully chosen and named chapters, cover art, disc art and even a trailer and the original ending as deleted scenes. Wow!
5 of 5

resulting in
4 of 5 rating from me (very close to 5 of 5). This one still has potential to be some more improved, but it is already great.

synopsis: a great fanedit and your best work yet, IMO, messenjah. Thanks for entertaining me so well. You showed with this one what fanedits are about and what the possibilities are. Keep it just up.

Top Bottom