• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Max: A Collateral Fan Edit by Messenjah14

The edit:
The image quality is pretty good, no stuttering and no rough cuts, almost perfectly executed. In the finale, when the text shows up, there is a problem with the black bars, but it is minor. Also the text is a bit too small which makes it a bit hard too read.

the audio quality is great. Very well mixed, no flaws, good volume level.

editing: 4 of 5
image quality: 5 of 5
audio quality: 5 of 5

Entertainment:

To me this is a great fanedit. It improves the original, which was to me dragging getting real close to boring, a lot. The movie is real short now, but not too short. It's a movie about MAX, taxi driver, dreamer, loser, who meets the wrong guy on the wrong day and is forced to face his inner and outer demons. This was the main part of the original as well, but it is far better executed here. The movie has an altered focus, turning both Max and Vincent into much more plausible guys. It's all about reality and control.
Still there are 2 scenes in this movie that I don't like, most of all the scene, when Max talks to Vincent's boss, pretending he is Vincent and suddenly makes that turn from shy guy to tough guy. I didn't buy that in the original and I still don't buy it in the fanedit. To me Max behaves untypical there, this does not fit his profile and should have been addressed in the fanedit. Next scene is the nightclub shootout. It is too much of everything, too over the top, like it was from a different movie. I think this should have been more edited.
The new ending is great. It is far far superior to the original ending. I wished the image would have been slowed down to stand still, instead of being gone so fast and I wished the ending text was bigger and there were end credits of any kind, so the movie could finish and the audience (me) would get time to think it all over. Maybe with a cool song.
Still, this one is GREAT and it easily replaces the original in the order of what I would rather watch. What was cut here, is not at all missed, especially not that ridiculous original ending.
This is still a kind of dragging movie for me, but much more enjoyable.
4 of 5

Extras:[/b]
The extras are simply put: great. English subtitles!!! A cool menu with sound. Carefully chosen and named chapters, cover art, disc art and even a trailer and the original ending as deleted scenes. Wow!
5 of 5

resulting in
4 of 5 rating from me (very close to 5 of 5). This one still has potential to be some more improved, but it is already great.

synopsis: a great fanedit and your best work yet, IMO, messenjah. Thanks for entertaining me so well. You showed with this one what fanedits are about and what the possibilities are. Keep it just up.

I read this over on the original thread. Sounds like a real winner. I'll have to add this to my long, long list as well. ;) Heh.

boon23 said:
Still there are 2 scenes in this movie that I don't like, most of all the scene, when Max talks to Vincent's boss, pretending he is Vincent and suddenly makes that turn from shy guy to tough guy. I didn't buy that in the original and I still don't buy it in the fanedit. To me Max behaves untypical there, this does not fit his profile and should have been addressed in the fanedit. Next scene is the nightclub shootout. It is too much of everything, too over the top, like it was from a different movie. I think this should have been more edited.
I wished the ending text was bigger and there were end credits of any kind, so the movie could finish and the audience (me) would get time to think it all over. Maybe with a cool song.
First of all, I appreciate the review ALOT. And also, I always name the scenes that way :grin: It's fun to do it.

Now, Max does indeed behave untypical. But he does it for survival. He knows he needs to try to act like Vincent or get shot. So he does his best impression of Vincent, and it prooves sufficient for the client. Now, it ain't as if this scene couldn't really be edited. But imo it's important for Max's character development. It's one step forward to him realising who he is. The scene is about finding courage. In the end he has enough of that to do what he does. The night club shootout is all there since I just think it's a damn cool scene, and it's a very hard thing to remove. It does seem a bit out of context, but no more than in the original movie. And yeah, I know about the text being small. I only noticed it too late, I saw it after making and burning the DVD. It looks fine on the PC though. The credits were my personal fuck-up. Make a long story short, they got cut out accidentally. However, I now think they fit the ending. I mean it's kinda like the same thing as with Birds. Since
Vincent is supposedly still alive,
there's this feeling of terror that hasn't ended yet. Hence, no credits. I see your point though.

Once again, thanks alot for the review, and hopefully there will be a few more to come :)

Thanks for a great movie. I found it to surpass the original both in pacing and ending. I agree with the previous comment that had the ending slowed down the visual image and reality of choice would have been more dramatic. But still a great movie in its own right.

betabeetle said:
Thanks for a great movie. I found it to surpass the original both in pacing and ending. I agree with the previous comment that had the ending slowed down the visual image and reality of choice would have been more dramatic. But still a great movie in its own right.
Thanks for the comment :) Now I really hope I would've done that :smile: Or atleast left the credits.

it can still be done... some fanedits are worth to be improved.

boon23 said:
it can still be done... some fanedits are worth to be improved.
Yeah, it sure can be done, but I'm currently far too busy trying to edit Jarhead into different shape to do such things, and I also do need to make a v 2.0 of that Spider-Man edit I made since I was very unhappy with it originally.

would be cool if you could get back to it...
and if you can't just tell me, I might give it a try and create a new ending.

boon23 said:
I might give it a try and create a new ending.
Knock yourself out for all I care. It's always good to get more things about this flick.

When I find the time I will do this and post it in fanedit bits and pieces (kind of lonely section so far)

boon23 said:
When I find the time I will do this and post it in fanedit bits and pieces (kind of lonely section so far)
In fact it's so lonely that I can't even find it.

just watched this and here's a review:

i didn't like it.

the editing and idea are pulled off great. i just didn't care for it.

i think the content that is removed detracts from vincent's character, which in turn detracts from max's character (his reactions, his ACTIONS).

also, maybe i should have prefaced this, but i actually liked tom cruise in this movie - so removing his scenes (which i think are stronger than max's - OMG i can't believe i said that) doesn't work for me.

i just didn't care about max. he seemed like a nobody. useless. his dreams and struggles just didn't seem important without the viciousness of vincent to compare.

also i didn't care for the ending. it didn't finish well. the "intensity" just wasn't there for me. it didn't seem finished.

i'd give the original a C+ and this edit a C-.

i would still rate the "work" on this edit VERY highly (like A+ until the final scene) and look forward to your other edits.

joebshmoe said:
also, maybe i should have prefaced this, but i actually liked tom cruise in this movie - so removing his scenes (which i think are stronger than max's - OMG i can't believe i said that) doesn't work for me.

also i didn't care for the ending. it didn't finish well. the "intensity" just wasn't there for me. it didn't seem finished.
Well you know besides the ending (by which all the charecterisation in the original had been completed) I cut away about 20-30 seconds of Vincent, and I think he had 1 line throughout those seconds, so I don't really think I detracted that much.

And it didn't seem finished in my opinion either. That's the point. I was going to make the film more depressing. What's sadder than realizing what you need to do, but never actually being able to do it because if you wouldn't have acted on something else and died, lots of others might have died?

I agree to what messenger says. Focussing on Max makes this edit pretty interesting, because his dreamworld is forced to fall apart. What I like about this edit is the huge difference to the original.

well actually the MISSING scenes with vincent weren't that impacting, it was the scenes ABOUT vincent - the aftermath. the "choas in his wake" idea that i felt was lacking.

the movie just didn't achieve that level of intensity that the original had for me.

maybe i'm in the minority. i dunno. take what i have to say with 1/2 a grain of salt i guess ;)

i agree that focusing on max WOULD be a better idea than the original, too. i'm just saying that it didn't work for me.

i was pretty impressed with the editing throughout, though. it was pretty seemless on the AVI.

i just watched this, and well, what can i say... :( i hate to be negative about another faneditor's work. so i'll just say that there were too many technical issues with this edit that distracted me. and although your concept was interesting, i would've done a couple things differently. sorry messenjah. if you want more details feel free to contact me.

gekko said:
i'll just say that there were too many technical issues with this edit that distracted me.
Finally someone noticed them :smile: What were the technical issues in your opinion? I noticed a few myself but was shocked when others didn't.

re the technical problems.... there were at least 10 edit points where the audio was clipped. on my edits, i spend a good chunk of my time smoothing out the audio between cuts so that it's virtually seamless. sometimes it's as simple as adding a crossfade. other times it takes meticulous layering, syncopation, and tweaking of the levels. but when it's done right, viewers shouldn't be able to tell where a new edit was made.

conceptual issues.... one thing to be careful of when making cuts is to cut too much. for example, in your edit the cops appear at the club, but the audience would have no idea who they are or what they're doing there. likewise, the elevator scene in the hospital is supposed to be a high tension moment because we know fanning is a cop. but without the setup of that character, it's just an empty scene because the audience doesn't know who fanning is. so even though your edit is focused on max, i think it would be improved by introducing the cops earlier in the movie so that when they meet at the end it pays off. or the other direction to take it would be to remove every shot of fanning and the cops altogether and make the shootout at the end look like vincent vs the asian bodyguards.

the ending... i have no problem with the car crash ending itself. but one pet peeve i have in general is when a fictional movie ends with an epilogue. the only movies that should use epilogues are screwball comedies (for comedic effect) or movies based on a real person or event. we don't watch movies to read about what happens to a character. we want to see it happen on the screen. so when the movie ends, the story ends, and whatever happens afterwards is irrelevant because they're fictional. by removing the epilogue from your edit, the crash is the definitive end of story, and the audience can decide what happened to max and vincent if they wish. does that make any sense?

anyways, i understand the difficulty of re-editing pre-edited material, so i hope my comments help even if you may disagree with them. i think if you smooth out the audio between cuts and reinsert some of the detectives backstory, it would be a very good edit even at around 90 minutes. i would prefer the epilogue not be there, but i'm willing to overlook that as it's part of your fanedit concept. ;)

cheers.

I watched this on my TV from DVD and the audio issues were not that bad. I know of far worse cases. At least they were not that obvious to disturb my entertainment. This does of course not mean that they are not there and that they cannot be spotted, when you listen more carefully than I might have done it, especialy if you listen via headphones they might be pretty obvious.
As for the cops issue I have to agree to what gekko said. I found them irritating in your fanedit. They felt misplaced. Such things do also happen in original movies, when lots of scenes get cut for the final version and what was scriptwise important is suddenly no more, but in this case it was strange and even much more strange, because they knew of Max, although he had not met them before (except for the lift scene, which was not presented improtant).

Back
Top Bottom