• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Mass Effect 2: The Fanedit Series

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Intention: To create an episodic sci-fi video series based on the video game, "Mass Effect 2".
Fanedit type: True Fanedit
Editor involved: JasonN
Number of episodes: 16
Series complete runtime: 12 hours, 49 minutes
Amount of time cut/added: too numerous to list

This project has truly has become one of the largest and longest-running fanedit projects that I've ever worked on - taking nearly 11 months to complete (started in early April, only to scrap the project at the end of July and start over from scratch after I realized that the narrative wasn't what I wanted and learning better techniques for capturing game footage in FRAPS), Mass Effect 2: The Fanedit Series is a 16 episode fanedit that creates a complex and focused science-fiction series based on my interpretation of Commander Shepard and the events surrounding him in the second installment of the Mass Effect franchise.

The character of Commander Shepard and all of his decisions, choices, and interactions presented in this fanedit series was directly control by me and the numerous dialogue sequences between him and other characters were crafted from both "Paragon" and "Renegade" dialogue selections (at times, even combining both to create a unique dialogue not found in the original game). In addition, several texture mods were used to correct certain visual flaws present in the game (such as Liara's facial texture being consistent with her "Lair of the Shadow Broker" DLC appearance) and at least one scene was created using "deleted" footage not present in the game proper (but accessible through a game hack).

All 16 episodes are currently available through YouTube in 720p HD video and can be accessed through the series playlist here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL07DA0D2B3E499057&feature=view_all

Nice trailer. Just finished watching 1st episode, very impressive. Kinda of like watching a mini-tv series. ;-)

Looking forward to watching this.

Great trailer. Never played the game but sure makes me want to.

It really is a great trailer. Now I just need to find time...

Looking forward to watching it. Will make sure to spread the word. I take it there will not be a similar project for ME1 or a "Fem Shep" Edition?

Nic Sticinski said:
Looking forward to watching it. Will make sure to spread the word. I take it there will not be a similar project for ME1 or a "Fem Shep" Edition?
Oh geez, if I went and did a FemShep Fanedit series, it'd probably take me another 9-10 months. :p

With the first Mass Effect, I decided not to make a fanedit series out of the first game primarily because it doesn't lend itself to the same cinematic quality of ME2 - the scenes and dialogues are all kinda stiff and static, the camera angles rarely change, the acting isn't as refined as ME2, etc.

I am in the preliminary plans to eventually make a sequel fanedit series based on Mass Effect 3 once it gets released March 6th (after I, you know... play through it a dozen or so times :D ).

Maybe I'll take a crack at FemShep if you don't mind. Do you need to play ME1 to understand anything in ME2?

If you're skipping ME1 Jason, I'd recommend renaming the fanedit so people aren't confused. Call it Mass Effect, and then do a credit saying something like "Based on the game Mass Effect 2". Something to consider...

I'll be sure to check it out, I finished my quasi-renegade playthorugh (shepard has a thing about saving humans where he can, but still nto so much aliens) last night, bit confused though because I had characters survive despite not doing their loyalty missions (garrus, grunt.) Really wanted something a bit different other than a straightforward boyscout and chaotic-bad type character.

Can't believe the demo for 3 is out on Feb 14th, finally something good for Valentine's day :D

Looks interesting, I'll check it out even if I've never played Mass Effect :)

I've always wondered why there haven't been more videos where people have created movies out of video game footage.

Will this be released on DVD, or will it remain on YT only?

Kal-El said:
Will this be released on DVD, or will it remain on YT only?

I would love to see a DVD/AVCHD release. Or maybe a 720p MKV release.

thunderclap said:
I would love to see a DVD/AVCHD release. Or maybe a 720p MKV release.
I do have 720p mp4 versions of the episodes (which is what I used to upload to YouTube), but the video compression rates could be slightly improved if I was to release them separately from YT.

There are currently no plans to do AVCHD releases - I do have Blu-ray/AVCHD versions of the episodes for my own viewing (which are in excellent 720p quality), but each episode is 5-7GB and aren't exactly suited for uploading over the internet.

I downloaded the 720 Mp4's from youtube. They are about 520-581 megs or so. But quality is very good. Im sure his 5-7G copys are better but the youtube rips are more than acceptable . I plan on watching this over the weekend.

I haven't played Mass Effect 2 in a long while and I need to get brushed up for the upcoming mass effect 3.

Im looking forward to this

juice4z0 said:
I downloaded the 720 Mp4's from youtube. They are about 520-581 megs or so. But quality is very good. Im sure his 5-7G copys are better but the youtube rips are more than acceptable . I plan on watching this over the weekend.
Hmm, I'm guessing that YouTube must have recompressed the videos when they were uploaded, since the vids I upped where at least 800-900MB in size.

And I am also working on some new mp4s of all the episodes to be upped elsewhere, with slightly improved 720p video compression rates (each should be around 1-1.5GB in file size, I'm guessing).

this looks awesome, however I have still not finished the game. I am back to playing it again so I'll have to watch after completion.

elbarto1 said:
this looks awesome, however I have still not finished the game. I am back to playing it again so I'll have to watch after completion.

Does look good. Mass Effect 2 is an awesome game, I have completed it and also the downloadable Overlord, Lair of Shadow Broker and Kasumi missions too. Not doen The Arrival though. Pre-ordered Mass Effect 3 and cannot wait after playing the demo.

Just a semi-related update, I'm starting preliminary work on the sequel series based on Mass Effect 3 - I have a feeling that there'll be less episodes than the ME2 Fanedit Series, but the episodes will probably have a longer running time for each one.

Also.... I'm seriously trying to figure out how to improve the ending, because unfortunately the endings that BioWare gave us in ME3 are downright terrible (and cruel, in my opinion) - that will require true fanediting skill, most definitely.

Back
Top Bottom