• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

MASH 2 - "Ticket Home" - DVD w/ Commentary now available

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I think it's cute when you 'cross the ponders call them "series" instead of "seasons."

"On 2 November 1936, the BBC began transmitting the world's first public regular high-definition service from the Victorian Alexandra Palace in north London. It therefore claims to be the birthplace of television broadcasting as we know it today"

^ We invented them, so we get to name them, and we named TV programs "Series", so that's what everyone else in the colonies has to call them! :pound:

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you invented M.A.S.H., you'd have a better argument. :p

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc took an early look at my edit and made some great comments on it, which lead to some great edits in Version 2!

Version 2 Changes:

Fixed Lip sync problem (was 3 frames off)

Replaced George Morgan in pre-credit scene with William Christopher (Father Mulcahy)

Color Balanced Scenes to prevent Jaring from different episode cuts

Got rid of internal monologues of Hawkeye Pierce

Added one medical scene with Frank and Hawkeye

Redid sounds on "Aid Station" - Animal noises for higher tension and replaced walking music with Suicide is Painless

wayne.workman2012

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been watching this thread unfold, I'm anticipating it's "Final" version.

When I was a kid, I'd stay up late to watch old MASH reruns with my dad (my age is showing).

Seems like I really got into them sometimes, and OH how it annoyed me that those guys were stuck over there!!!

I think that one thought is what made the show a hit.

I'm interested in what "Ticket Home" has in store....

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Version 2 may very well be the final version. The first one wasn't far off, just suffered a bit from my laziness. But once I heard someone saying what was already in my own head, procrastination met it match. Just finished rendering and reviewing Version 2 myself and it looks good. If someone wants to give me a second opinion on that, let me know.

Movie Poster/Box art:

1620596_10203096376551855_768697538_n.jpg

Trailer:

[video=youtube_share;RQif91TBRTc]

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the New Cover Art. Not my thing, but I think I managed to make it look like something I would see at the Video Store in the 80's.

1926789_818656124818391_1603348318_n.jpg

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting! I've always had quite a strong dislike of the show, despite recognising its strengths. Partly because the film is one of my favourite films (Altman is my favourite director) and partly because the show's focus just seemed... uninteresting to me compared to the film. So if you're trying to capture tone and the pacing of the film, I'm definitely in.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice retro trailer! Maybe change "Not meant for distribution" to "Not meant for sale".

I never really watched the show. My dad was a fan, though.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Distribution is the process of making a product or service available for use or consumption by a consumer or business user, using direct means, or using indirect means with intermediaries.

It is meant for private viewing only, not Distribution!

Most of my edit's sit on the shelf and the HDD. This is the first one I've really shared.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ken Poirier said:
Distribution is the process of making a product or service available for use or consumption by a consumer or business user, using direct means, or using indirect means with intermediaries.

It is meant for private viewing only, not Distribution!

Most of my edit's sit on the shelf and the HDD. This is the first one I've really
shared.

Mark is right, it struck me as an odd phrase too. FYI:

distribution (noun)

"the action of sharing something out among a number of recipients"

regularjoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could someone point me in the direction of linkage for this via PM, please? I am a huge MASH fan and would love to see this. I used to head to fanedit info but that seems to be no more.

Nice to see that someone is making some TV fanedits. I've been doing some Walking Dead edits myself.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
regularjoe said:
Could someone point me in the direction of linkage for this via PM, please? I am a huge MASH fan and would love to see this. I used to head to fanedit info but that seems to be no more.

Info is still there but this edit isn't listed... would be cool if it was (Hint ;-)).

regularjoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, I had deleted the link after checking it for a few weeks and it was down every time. I figured someone somewhere was not pleased with the content and got it yanked. I'll re-bookmark and keep my eyes open.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
regularjoe said:
Could someone point me in the direction of linkage for this via PM, please?
[MENTION=7518]regularjoe[/MENTION] please read The Rules and Using This Site. Top of every page.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This one brought back lots of great memories for me. This was my first "grown up" tv show I remember watching. Yes, it was a comedy, and many of the subtleties were lost of me at the age of five, but even at that young age I sensed the underlying message about the futility of war. You knew you were watching something different, something dramatic and important. And now, all these decades later, I look back at MASH as one of the true great series in the history of television.

This firstling fan edit wonderfully captures the spirit and power of those early (and in my opinion, best) seasons of the show. The characters are rich and immediately engaging. The loose narrative works really well, it has an Altman feel and structure much like the original movie that inspired it. And even though I knew how it must end, I still felt surprised and choked up when the story came to close. Very well done.

The video upscale from 4X3 to 16x9, looks very look overall, none of scenes felt too zoomed in or chopped off. There is some quality differences between different episodes. Also, there is a very significant video quality difference during the new opening credits with the cuts to the incoming helicopters that I found a bit distracting as I believe these are from the feature film and I am surprised at how degraded they looked. But most tv shows through the 70s and 80s used poor quality stock footage for shots, so I guess it fits with the edit.

I did find it distracting that the editor choose to put "Do Not Distribute" warning right in the middle of the opening credits, instead of before the main feature.

Majority of the cuts worked for me, I did not notice any flash frames or significant transition issues. Though I did notice a continuity issue right away.... In the beginning Hawkeye is wearing his blue Hawaiian shirt, he is still wearing it when the copters arrive and when he is evaluating the incoming wounded at the top of the landing hill, but when he gets to bottom of the hill he is in army greens. Not a big deal, but it is one of the challenges of doing a multi-episode edit that editors need to keep an eye on. The end credits, also come to a very abrupt end, no gentle fade out of music or video.... it just stops.

Audio is for the most part good. I loved the use of the original them song. Though the instrumental version that is used for a scene transition at 1hr6min, while dramatically powerful, was too loud for my tastes. Also, there were a couple of scenes in the MP4 version I watched where the audio went out sync for a minute or two, for example at 31minutes where Radar gives Trap the bad news.

All in all, a good firstling edit. The world of Hawkeye, Trapper and Colonel Blake is as entertaining today as it was 40 years ago and this edit really does shine a light on some of the series best moments while telling a fresh narrative.

Thumbs Up. :)

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey everyone, I just wanted to mention that the Mash Box set is on sale at Amazon for $110. That's 1/3 the price.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wanted to let every one know that MASH 2 is now available as a DVD w/ Editor Commentary track. Thanks! Grab it at fanedit.info

Top Bottom