• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Regraded

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did some work on Thor Ragnarok based on kk650's IMAX Regrade. I actually haven't seen the film yet, so I haven't looked too far ahead, but looking at some earlier bits in my version look pretty good. I'll

Blu Ray:
AnLWpPU.jpg

Regraded:
KAQTWcP.jpg

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your regrade looks much too purple to my eyes.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Your regrade looks much too purple to my eyes.

Agreed. Regrading shots with sky in them is always tough to get right.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I find this newest version to look significantly better than your first regrade, especially in the top row of screenshots, although I find the sky to still be a little bit purple in the screenshot of Valkyrie (and I'm not referring to the purple wormholes in the sky). To be fair, tough, that screenshot is set on Sakaar, which could theoretically have a purplish sky.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Made another iteration of my GOTG Vol 2 LUT making it a little more subtle this time without the oversaturated orange skintones. This one also removes a bit of the yellowish green tint that lays over the film. 

474nBDZ.png

Gdm1Zlm.png

wQmidV4.png

ak6iShP.png

2eL5lth.png

lOzb5dZ.png

71qIgVg.png

V2zwbBG.png

Probably not very noticable but it looks subtly better. Especially the one with Rocket, Groot and Peter flying through the clouds
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/114938 

I think the blacks may be too crushed, but let me know what you think
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zGys9amcvNk9LZBM8rCNFFlMYoWplMT6

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's another crack at Ragnarok aiming to tone down the green-ish tint that covers the 3D Blu-Ray while also doing the usual saturation and contrast. The skin tones look less sickly to my eyes and more natural. It's a tad more subtle than my previous one. 

Comparion here with some more frames
LUT Downloadable here

4aiUZ5O.png

EUAsHws.png

OigTR8u.png

shcuv5Q.png

2KfCbBJ.png

9PrRaJE.png

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A simple touch-up of Spider-Man: Homecoming to reduce the yellow-ish tint, but keeping the warm look of the film, so not as radical as kk650. Saturation and contrast have been turned up a smidge as well. I'll most likely end up using this as the base for a new version of FNSM. 

LUT downloadable here
Comparison here

iC6dIGp.jpg
I3A5PiY.jpg
0xknjZI.jpg
dal6ONa.jpg
XB7TBnI.jpg
YLnZxI7.jpghttp:

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So which Guardians of the Galaxy LUT is which? There's GOTG 2 v2.cube and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Regrade v1.cube. I'm assuming the latter is obviously for Vol. 2, but is the former also for Vol. 2, or is it just named strangely?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
So which Guardians of the Galaxy LUT is which? There's GOTG 2 v2.cube and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Regrade v1.cube. I'm assuming the latter is obviously for Vol. 2, but is the former also for Vol. 2, or is it just named strangely?

My guess is that thet’re both for Vol. 2 but V2 ls version 2 and V1 is version 1 of the regrade

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
macmilln said:

My guess is that thet’re both for Vol. 2 but V2 ls version 2 and V1 is version 1 of the regrade

Thats correct, the 2nd one (GOTG 2 v2.cube) is my preferred one as I found the first one overly bright and saturated.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
Masirimso17 said:
macmilln said:

Thats correct, the 2nd one (GOTG 2 v2.cube) is my preferred one as I found the first one overly bright and saturated.

Are you still working on these? Would love to see some other MCU movies regraded. Iron Man 2, Winter Soldier, Captain Marvel, The Dark World, and lots of others come to mind lol.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
Here's a go at doing Endgame, might be a tad too dark though
Comparison here
Album with more images 
LUT Download here

Interesting. In my opinion, Endgame doesn't really need work done too it, I like the slightly pale look of the first act, I think it fits the tone well. Again, your other regrades are phenomenal, thanks for all the work you've done, really looking forward to anything more from you in the future!

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your Endgame comparison looks decent enough. I wonder if you can remove the yellow tint like you did with the Infinity War trailer? :)

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've had a go at The First Avenger, which looks awfully bland when it should look like a great technicolour pulpy 40s film. Not that my grade looks like that, but its an improvment

jZZ1mhY.png

NDeGMjr.png

CPVLjh5.png

aWEqKxb.png

FyDRVmt.png

UiG94Jc.png

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Used a Film Stock Emulation LUT in combination with my own correction to try and make it look a little more old fashioned

WgLG0La.png

JCPtPKi.png

McqcDOE.png

z9AZAwY.png

g4SOC8G.png

1OYMHhd.png

gwg6EzD.png

MVvfyw2.png

GcElhVj.png

tSKFtk0.png

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know how I missed it, but I didn't see your "Captain America: The First Avenger" regrade attempts until now.

I think that the first one is a slight improvement, but not as significant as would be preferable. The second one has badly oversaturated reds in the characters' faces.

It looks like you significantly reduced the sepia tint, but I'm not sure if you removed it completely. I found an easy way to remove it by color-matching footage from this shot in the movie:

bvSglX0f_o.jpg

...to this untinted, ungraded one from the special features:

FF3Bek7W_o.jpg

Some scenes (such as those featuring snow) also feature a blue tint that I haven't figured out how to remove yet.

I took a crack at regrading the screenshots that you posted above (using a chain of effects, including the color match above, brightness and contrast alterations, and multiple LUTs applied simultaneously), and got these results:

CPVLjh5.png

zP8Nd4Pm_o.jpg

FyDRVmt.png

Adm67Eek_o.jpg

g4SOC8G.png

NBX7JUya_o.jpg

GcElhVj.png

ZJfupELD_o.jpg

gwg6EzD.png

Y9WBakJq_o.jpg

jZZ1mhY.png

Y5XPHASz_o.jpg

McqcDOE.png

jpanwCwD_o.jpg

WgLG0La.png

yfp4YKbC_o.jpg

It's still not quite "there" (like you, I think that the movie should have a Technicolor look), but I think that it could be helpful to you in figuring out how to make the movie more colorful without oversaturating the skin tones.

Top Bottom