• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Marnie - The Evan Hunter Cut

recordwrangler95

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

The final (unless I can figure out how to fix Stage Fright) in my series of Hitchcock mini-edits, "Marnie: The Evan Hunter Cut" is an attempt to showcase the 1964 Sean Connery/Tippi Hedren thriller without the sexual assault scene between the two married lead characters that appeared in the source material, to which original screenwriter Evan Hunter (aka crime novelist Ed McBain) objected.

Hitchcock insisted upon the scene, saying "Evan, when he sticks it in her, I want that camera right on her face."

Hunter pleaded with Hitchcock not to use that scene, which lead to Hunter's dismissal from continued work on the film.

Although Hunter is no longer credited as the screenwriter on the finished film, I was nevertheless curious to see how this still-controversial and divisive Hitchcock classic played without that particular scene.

If anyone from the FE academy is interested in reviewing this for submission to the IFDB, please PM me. Thanks!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad you did this! It's one that was in my list to maybe attempt some day. Though I'd go beyond what you did: I think the movie has quite a few further problems than the SA. But, of course, the SA being the big one and the first thing I'd remove.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marnie needs more than just that scene removing IMO, but it would still be an improvement.

You don't like Stage Fright? :(

recordwrangler95

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marnie needs more than just that scene removing IMO, but it would still be an improvement.

You don't like Stage Fright? :(
For sure, I agree with both you and DwightFry, that movie has a ton of problems (not all necessarily fixable in an edit). This is just me, once again, doing a little scholarly exercise within the current limits of my editing abilities. ;)

I actually quite like Stage Fright! I just know that's another Hitchcock movie with one heavily criticized scene that I'd excise if I could think of a way to do it without breaking the movie.

JustKeatz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Despite really enjoying Hitchcock's work, I haven't seen this film partly because of it's controversial reputation. So I'd be up for watching your version for a first time viewing.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, DigMod! I'll do so ASAP (should be tomorrow or the weekend at the latest).
Oops, for some reason I didn't see your faneditor badge....🤦‍♂️You don't need to do the first time submit form.

recordwrangler95

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oops, for some reason I didn't see your faneditor badge....🤦‍♂️You don't need to do the first time submit form.
My first two submissions went weirdly enough that I thought it entirely plausible I might need to do so again so no worries. :) I'll PM you once it's finished uploading.

Top Bottom