• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Man of Tomorrow: a Man of Steel / Batman V. Superman edit

jobwillins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Man of Tomorrow is a narrative experiment that combines Man of Steel and Batman V. Superman into one film.  The goal was to use material from both films to form a single, feature-length, 3-act structure that focuses on Superman.  

Like many, I was less-than-enamored with Batman V. Superman.  The Ultimate Edition was much more coherent, but it was fundamentally the same film.  This was a very dark story about Batman wanting to kill Superman… and Superman being kind of a dick most of the time.  And while I wasn’t a huge fan of Man of Steel either, I did think it had some pretty great Superman moments, which BvS lacked.  I decided to try to combine material from both films, focusing on their strengths and streamlining the narrative to the rise and fall of Superman.

Since I started with Man of Steel (2.2 hrs) and Batman V. Superman: Ultimate Edition (3 hrs), keeping the running-time down to 2.5 hours was no small task.  A lot of plot wasn’t used (most of the Krypton sequence, the Smallville fight, the Africa subplot, the jar of pee…), but because the major threads that lead to the 3rd act of Batman V. Superman came directly from the battle in Metropolis (the crashed Kryptonian ship, the Kryptonite from the world engine, Batman’s distrust of Superman’s power) I chose to hone in on those story points as the core of the narrative for Man of Tomorrow.  Several scenes were reordered or reworked to fit the new narrative structure and better weave the material from the the two films together.  For example:  Batman/Bruce Wayne is introduced in the 1st act, Superman doesn’t put on his suit until Zod appears, Lex Luthor interacts with the Kryptonian ship earlier, the dour shots of Superman’s heroism from BvS are used much more optimistically, and the flashback to Pa Kent’s death is utilized very differently, just to name a few changes to the structure.

Thanks to everyone who test screened it and provided feedback.

Here's a quick little trailer:

Hope you enjoy it!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is already a fanedit in-the-works called 'Man of Tomorrow' so it'd be best to pick another title.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alternatives:

Man of the Day After Tomorrow
Mañana Man

Man of Next Week

jobwillins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi @"TM2YC",  I certainly didn't mean to cause any confusion with the other editor's work.  I checked the IFDB but didn't look through the in-the-works section prior to the submission.

It looks like the other edit is for Superman Returns and doesn't involve MoS or BvS, so I'm ok with adding a subtitle like "A Man of Steel / BvS FanMix" to the title in the IFDB to distinguish it from the other project.  Although @"ssj"  does have some great title suggestions  :-D

Thanks,
~J

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
Mañana Man

nHRBv07.jpg

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great Work, Job!  I am also looking forward to watchingyour work on “Derelict”!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This one was definitely worth the watch. 

You managed to shrink MOS's basic elements down to just past a sizeable hour and nothing felt lost or detached. The way you worked around the loss of the Senate hearing/attack was a great mix of visual editing and audio splicing, and shows you need'nt have had that bit at all. I kind of wish Senator Finch was alive for other movies, I quite liked her performance.

Thematically, I really enjoyed joining flashes to Jonathan's death with Clarks' final decision, and working around the more sillier aspects of Johnathan's death was also very well handled

There were only two bits that did'nt gel for me, one of them being how Bruce was introduced (felt everything went too quick bridging from the sex slave rescue to the flashbacks of Bruce's youth, to him revving up to go somewhere, to transitioning back to Lois and Perry) and one near the end of the MOS portions, which was more to do with the music used sort of just fizzling out, same issue happened prior to the end of the Bruce intro

octoroxx

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the first hour of this edit. I think it has a lot of good ideas and executes on a lot of them pretty well, but ultimately I just felt like it moves too quickly, jumping from scene to scene without establishing a real flow. A lot of scenes also don't seem super motivated or natural, particularly the introduction of batman.

I think this is a problem shared by the theatrical version of Batman v Superman as well, and unfortunately a lot of fanedits I've seen seem to double down on it.

Certainly not a bad edit, just not really my cup of tea. I'm glad to have checked it out nonetheless!

jobwillins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The cut I'll be submitting to .info has an improved (in my opinion) introduction to Bruce Wayne.  People have rightly pointed out that it's a bit jarring in the initial Vimeo cut.  Thanks for the constructive feedback @"Zarius" and @"octoroxx" 

-J

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad to be of use Job. You've got a lot of attention with this one so we want it to look it's best. Looking forward to seeing the improved intro to Bruce

jobwillins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Glad to be of use Job. You've got a lot of attention with this one so we want it to look it's best. Looking forward to seeing the improved intro to Bruce

@"Zarius" The new cut is now up on the same vimeo link.  If you want to just check out the new Bruce Wayne intro, it's around 31:00.  I used another idea I had to ease into the scene in a less jarring manner.

Thanks again.

-Daniel

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"jobwillins" , that not only flowed much better, it was pretty innovative, I think some of us could learn from using quick snippets of Bruce's childhood rather than draw out the thing.

jobwillins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, @"Zarius" !

Glad Alfred's lumberjacking worked for you  :-D

-J

Zarius said:
@"jobwillins" , that not only flowed much better, it was pretty innovative, I think some of us could learn from using quick snippets of Bruce's childhood rather than draw out the thing.

octoroxx

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The new introduction of Bruce is definitely better. Nice job!

I've watched the full edit now and unfortunately it didn't totally work for me. Especially in the Batman v Superman section, I felt like scene transitions were too rapid and there wasn't enough context given as to what was going on. This was a problem in the theatrical version of BvS but was significantly improved in the Ultimate Cut. Unfortunately, I feel like this edit went backwards a bit.

I also found the big battle sequences tough to get through since there were so many of them packed into one movie, and they were so long. The battle of Metropolis in particular was intercutting between so many perspectives that I found it hard to get invested in what was going on.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great ideas in here (the death of Zod was a revelation, stuff like having Bruce watch Zod's message was clever, intercutting Pa Kent's sacrifice with Superman's was a GREAT idea) but it feels like a first draft to me, not a final edit. I personally think it could have benefited from an additional hour of runtime to add context and clarification, but I get the sense that you really wanted a very quick and compact cut. At the very least, I would have tried to simplify and trim the battle of Metropolis further and use the extra runtime to add some more character development scenes.

I could provide more detailed feedback, but since most of my ideas involve adding or extended scenes, I get the sense that it might not be all that useful with what you want to accomplish. Regardless, I'm glad that you're getting exposure. It's always great to see this community in the spotlight!

jobwillins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the honest feedback, @"octoroxx" 

I certainly know this isn't the edit for everyone, and I appreciate you taking the time the watch it.  

-J

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vimeo has taken the edit down now. I nabbed it before it got removed, but do you reckon it could stand a better chance of staying up with password protection?

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jobwillins said:
Man of Tomorrow is a narrative experiment that combines Man of Steel and Batman V. Superman into one film.

TM2YC said:
There is already a fanedit in-the-works called 'Man of Tomorrow' so it'd be best to pick another title.

jobwillins said:
Hi @"TM2YC",  I certainly didn't mean to cause any confusion with the other editor's work.  I checked the IFDB but didn't look through the in-the-works section prior to the submission.

It looks like the other edit is for Superman Returns and doesn't involve MoS or BvS, so I'm ok with adding a subtitle like "A Man of Steel / BvS FanMix" to the title in the IFDB to distinguish it from the other project.

Although my edit was on ifdb for a while, it was taken down and put back ITW status after a few (justified) frame rate complaints. While I applaud all MoS/BvS hybrids and am curious to see what you're cooking, I prefer there's more distinction to our edits than just a subtitle. If you prefer keeping your title as is then I'll come up with another title for my edit, as I prefer there are no misunderstandings among fanedit fans. :)

EDIT: I see your edit is already on IFDB. Never mind then, I'll make sure to change mine.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
I see your edit is already on IFDB. Never mind then, I'll make sure to change mine.

That's very decent of you Kal-El. Thanks. It saves confusion as you say.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
That's very decent of you Kal-El. Thanks. It saves confusion as you say.

My pleasure :) New title is up and running already ;)

Top Bottom