• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Man of Steel: Remastered - An Agent 9 FanEdit

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guess its time to make it official;
After a year in the making here it is, I'm still working on this cut - especially the coloring atm, and its still in development.. So some of what I'm posting now, could possibly change.

MAN OF STEEL: REMASTERED - RECUT, RECOLORED, RESCORED

An AGENT 9 FanEdit

Original Running Time: 2hrs 22mins
Fan Edit Running Time: 1hr 45mins (approx atm)

Here's my official announcement Trailer:

MAN OF STEEL: REMASTERED

Removal of the Hanz Zimmer Score
Replaced with the John Williams Score

Because of the Removal of the music, an entirely new 5.1 Dolby Digital track had to be redesigned.. Which will include new Sound FX, new Ambiance etc.. while some Sound FX have also been replaced in order to enhance them, especially Superman's takeoff's.

The entire movie has been Re-Colored

New VFX - Removed the drone from certain shots aboard the Scout Ship.

The Edit:

Krypton – Sequences Removed:
In this Version the Codex is the Command Key. It is no longer in Kal'El's blood.
Birth Scene
Jor'El talks to Council
Jor'El is taken prisoner by Zod's men
Jor'El retrieves the Codex
Activation of Codex into Kal-El's body
"Any mention of being born naturally etc."

Removed Scenes / Shots:
In no particular order
Fishing Scene
Tanker Rescue
Stealing clothes
School room sequence
Bar scene & Truck on Pole
Clark fighting the Krptonian Drone in Scout ship
Clark healing Lois
Church Scene
When Clark comes home – 2/3 of the scene has been cut.
Tornado Scene
Superman trying to fly and crashing
(Zod's Message) The Other countries receiving the transmission have been removed
Shots and small sequences of the Fight Between Superman & Faora-Ul in Smallville
Kryptonian skipping down the road before attacking fighter jet
Superman laying on the rocks after destroying world engine
Zod hopping up the building
Shot of Kryptonian looking at Superman's blood in the syringe
Scene about Kal'El's blood being the key
Zod & Jor'El having a conversation aboard the scout ship
Perry & Gang getting trapped in the rubble of another building
1/2 Daily Planet ending scene, Clark gets in Elevator and it cuts to black
Some shots of Logo's & Trademarks such as Ihop.. etc...

Dialog Removed:
"I let my father die.."
"...yada yada yada.....flack jacket...."
"as for my rescuer............."
"...yada yada yada.. visit an old friend"
"I can't print this Lois you may hallucinated....."
"...yada yada yada..Ive fought these people before"
"If you destroy this ship, you destroy Krypton"
"Krypton had its chance"
"My soul is what you've taken from me"

Moved / Changed:
Krypton has been cut in a similar fashion to that of the 78' Superman movie
Lois's search for Clark happens after talking to guy in bar.
Placed Bus flashback after Lois talks to Pete.
Flashback Jonathon talking to Clark, now During Clark & Lois conversation
Flashback of Clark being instigated, now During Clark & Zods conversation
All shots of Superman taking out World Engine – Cut together
Superman talking to General is now the last scene

Added Shots / Scenes:
All New Establishing shots of Planet Krypton
New Establishing of Antarctic
New Zoom and establishing of Saturn & Superman's ship
Shot of the Entrance to the Daily Planet
Superman Flybys – With completely new sound design
All new Titles
All New ending in The tradition Superman cinema style

Movies Used:
Man of Steel
Superman Returns
Guardians of the Galaxy
Contact
Superman: The Movie 78'
The Thing (2011)
NASA Footage

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Currently rendering my first WORKPRINT of the film using the proxies so I can watch it off the timeline for the first time and see where things may need to be fixed or adjusted etc...
After which time I'll be fixing anything noticeable and then I'll be breaking it down - replacing the proxies and then recoloring the entire film and creating a 5.1 Mix

If a few people would like to check it out and give me any notes, I'd love to hear some feedback - just send me a PM.
Thanks so much.

(Please note this render will only be 720 and lacking on video quality - the recoloring is only a temporary preliminary grade and the audio will only be stereo.)

Please make sure your wanting to watch this to give feedback, otherwise just wait for the completed version.

-A9

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's the Box Art I've designed for this Edit.. I gave everyone a bunch of choices, so hopefully everyone can find one they like.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Needs moar covers. ;)

Great work!

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Needs moar covers. ;)

Great work!

*sigh* Alright... I'll go make more..... hahaha...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agent9 said:

giphy.gif

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Goddammit now I don't know which cover to use, they're all brilliant!!!!! :cry:

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched the trailers, very excited about this edit and keen to see how the colour correction and replaced score turns out!

Whilst Zimmer's score was far from the masterpiece that Williams created it worked well enough and I enjoyed the new Superman theme. What bothered me most was that the main theme didn't really feature throughout the film to accompany Superman in action. I can't begin to imagine how difficult a task in replacing the entire score and I applaud Agent9 for taking on the challenge.

With the colour correction it's simply bizarre how the colours in the costume vary from scene to scene. For example when Superman and Lois board Zod's ship the red and blue stand out. Compare that to the scene of Superman and Lois in the interrogation room.

I watched this video below which shows what might have been. Saturation is probably a little too high but still well worth checking out.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ollie W said:
Just watched the trailers, very excited about this edit and keen to see how the colour correction and replaced score turns out!

Whilst Zimmer's score was far from the masterpiece that Williams created it worked well enough and I enjoyed the new Superman theme. What bothered me most was that the main theme didn't really feature throughout the film to accompany Superman in action. I can't begin to imagine how difficult a task in replacing the entire score and I applaud Agent9 for taking on the challenge.

With the colour correction it's simply bizarre how the colours in the costume vary from scene to scene. For example when Superman and Lois board Zod's ship the red and blue stand out. Compare that to the scene of Superman and Lois in the interrogation room.

I watched this video below which shows what might have been. Saturation is probably a little too high but still well worth checking out.
Ollie you do realize that video is fake right? The colour correction is way off, and that company also tampered with the original footage to make their 'correction' come out better.

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been a while since my last update, but I've still been working on this edit. - Takes a while to do a shot by shot color correction, as I am doing this for Man of Steel to make sure everything comes out truely beautiful.
The movie is almost done - just a few more tweaks here and there on some things and finishing the new color grade.
For the Meantime, he's a little Color Grade Comparison Video for you all.
Enjoy

-A9

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WOW!

Looks great! Sounds even better!!! Excellent rescoring! :)

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
WOW!

Looks great! Sounds even better!!! Excellent rescoring! :)

Thanks Bob.. Much appreciated...

If anyone out there is saying - its too much Magenta, Here's the scope comparison for you. Your calibration may be off - I always calibrate and read my scopes while CC'ing - Several times a week, just to make sure.
Magenta_zpsa6saalf5.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those interested, these are some of the more dramatic Color Grades for MOS Remastered: The Low quality doesn't do them justice, for that I'm sorry, but its almost complete and should be available sometime in Sept, for now I hope you Enjoy and appreciate all the work this edit has taken me. :)

MOS%20Sample%2001_zpsp0nj1xot.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I admire your efforts here with color grading. Your images do look a little too magenta in places, but that is the downside of trying to restore natural color to an image that has been so heavily graded. My monitor is calibrated correctly, FWIW.

The monotone effect in many heavily color-graded films, like MOS, makes it hard to get skin colors correct while keeping a realistic color the background imagery. Amy Adams looks absolutely wonderful in that image, but the cabinets and wall in the background are a bit too far pink (similar issue with the light rays in the Jor-El image above).

I had nearly identical cabinets in my former office, and their color is somewhere in-between the two images you presented. Getting the image perfect throughout the entire film would probably take a lot of masking and color grading of individual components. Who has time for that though? At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to which sacrifice you prefer - the heavy green tint of the original, or the slightly odd pink hue of the color grade.

I had a quick stab at masking out Amy - keeping your (really nice) color correction for her, while tweaking the background. I did bump the midtones of the entire composite up a bit, because it still seemed dark. There may be shots of the film where this might be simple and beneficial to your end product

Top image - Original
Middle image - Agent9 color correction
Bottom image - masked re-grade (Amy is Agent9's, background has additional adjustments). slight levels adjustment to entire shot.

MOS_throw_zpse6fthism.jpg~original

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I admire your efforts here with color grading. Your images do look a little too magenta in places, but that is the downside of trying to restore natural color to an image that has been so heavily graded. My monitor is calibrated correctly, FWIW.

The monotone effect in many heavily color-graded films, like MOS, makes it hard to get skin colors correct while keeping a realistic color the background imagery. Amy Adams looks absolutely wonderful in that image, but the cabinets and wall in the background are a bit too far pink (similar issue with the light rays in the Jor-El image above).

I had nearly identical cabinets in my former office, and their color is somewhere in-between the two images you presented. Getting the image perfect throughout the entire film would probably take a lot of masking and color grading of individual components. Who has time for that though? At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to which sacrifice you prefer - the heavy green tint of the original, or the slightly odd pink hue of the color grade.

I had a quick stab at masking out Amy - keeping your (really nice) color correction for her, while tweaking the background. I did bump the midtones of the entire composite up a bit, because it still seemed dark. There may be shots of the film where this might be simple and beneficial to your end product

Top image - Original
Middle image - Agent9 color correction
Bottom image - masked re-grade (Amy is Agent9's, background has additional adjustments). slight levels adjustment to entire shot.

MOS_throw_zpse6fthism.jpg~original

Oh I'm going to agree with you completely on this. I'm not going to roto-scope the entire movie... LOL... and there is a definitely a sacrifice - its either going to be to Green or slightly pink / magenta. When you drop green, especially as much as this movie has in it, your going to get that magenta, and every adjustment you make to try and balance it, its going to be leaning towards the green or towards a magenta tone.

That masked shot you did looks really nice - but like you said - who wants to do that to the entire film? Argh!!

I'm decently happy with how everything looks - I think it's at least better than the original Green / Cyan.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep, absolutely :) I think a lot of people are going to be very happy with what you've done - which is really nice. I would expect to get some "pink" comments though.

Keep in mind as you go through the cut, that there may be shots where a simple mask might help tweak some of the things in the background that were pushed a little too far in one color direction. I agree though that rotoscoping or excessive masking/keyframing is not worth the effort.

Good luck moving forward!

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Yep, absolutely :) I think a lot of people are going to be very happy with what you've done - which is really nice. I would expect to get some "pink" comments though.

Keep in mind as you go through the cut, that there may be shots where a simple mask might help tweak some of the things in the background that were pushed a little too far in one color direction. I agree though that rotoscoping or excessive masking/keyframing is not worth the effort.

Good luck moving forward!

Thanks... I'll look into doing some minor masking to fix a few things, I had thought of it a while back, but decided against it. Guess I'll look into doing some here and there to clean it up a bit.

Oh, I know. Guess I may have come off wrong on the above post - It was just a reminder while I was showing grades, about the magenta and possible calibration. My bad on sounding like an ass. LOL.

Top Bottom