• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope (TM2YC FanFix)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've talked about doing a fanedit of 'Man of Steel' for a long time in these forums and posted a few test clips but never did anything seriously with it. One because I liked the movie quite a bit in it's existing version, two because I kinda hoped MOS2 would fix some of the issues (We all know how that went down :D ) and three because I probably hadn't learned enough to do it right.

I made a post about it in my ideas thread almost exactly a year ago, when I thought I was really going to do (I even prepped all the source materials ready to start editing)...

https://forums.fanedit.org/thread-8056-post-260449.html#pid260449

...but those ideas are broadly still my intentions. This isn't going to be a radical edit like some of the excellent MOS fanedits already released but more a "fine tuning".

(Sorry @"samspider3" but I think I'm gonna stick with my original 'A Symbol of Hope' title idea because it's just too perfect for the tone and objectives of this project. It's not exactly the same as yours ;) )

Here are a couple of short test clips from my ideas thread...

^ Superman not destroying the dude's truck in act of rage filled spite because he's supposed to be a "Lawful Good" hero.

^ Jor-El and Zod's fisticuffs cut down by a half, so it doesn't become tiring.

(Password: fanedit.org)

Here is my cutlist so far, I'll update it in the OP as I go...

Cutlist said:
- Replaced audio and music of opening scene with a new mix. SoundFX much lower and score much higher. I wanted the musical theme to be the first thing we take note of
- Removed first shot of Lara screaming and re-ordered shots. I wanted the first shot to be the more hopeful holding-hands one
- Replaced audio and music during Jor-El stealing the Codex. I wanted the hero theme to play first for the father, then we will hear it later for the son
- Removed half of the fist-fight between Jor-El and Zod. It bored me after a while. Rescored and SoundFX added
- Removed Zod saying "I will find him" one time. Now he says it 3 times, instead of 4 times. Less is more I feel
- Added light effect to partially obscure the "Flying Dildos". They still look silly but whatcha gonna do?
- Replaced audio and music during the scene of Clark crying in the cupboard, through to him on the school bus. I always hated that sub-Grunge track that plays over this scene, plus it's weird when no other "pop" songs feature on the soundtrack. When you've got Hans Zimmer, use him
- Removed Clark violently destroying the a**hole guys truck in an act of vengeful rage. It was a very un-Superman like thing to do. Remixed music and soundFX
- Removed Lois' "measuring dicks" line. When possible I want to make this edit a little less sweary. It's clear from her other dialogues that she's got their number anyway
- Clark reacts much quicker to the Kryptonian probe after it lashes out at him. He's got super intelligence and super speed after all. We the audience knew it was dangerous the second we saw it, so Clark should too right
- Added the piano part of the hero theme as Clark gives Lois a reassuring look. The hero just saved the heroine for the first time, we should hear something
- Removed half of Lois' scream as Superman burns her wound, so it feels a little less violent
- Totally recut Superman's first flight and rescored it with the hero theme. Superman now doesn't crash 'n' burn on his first attempt, as I felt this was anti-climatic. Hopefully this version captures the joy flying. Footage cut to match the rhythms and beats of the new score. SoundFX and dialogue recut, replaced and remixed throughout

Artwork and my reworking of Superman's first flight coming soon.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Samspider3 v TM2YC: Dawn of the Fan Edits (?) xD.

It seems I wasn't the only one who thought about cutting the a-hole's truck scene.  Didn't Clark learned anything about revenge not being a good thing when Jonathan was talking to him as a kid? 

You know, I felt exactly the same about the flying scene when I watched it on cinema.  I was very disappointed because it was the scene I was waiting the most.  It's almost like a sacred moment.  That's why in my fan edit I edited it some days ago in a similar way you are describing it.  I think as mine as yours will be an amazing re edited version of the first flight :)

SpectacularSMan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I eagerly await both of your edits! I'm yet to find the cut of MOS that works as my definitive version, but the closest one at the moment is the Ultimate Kryptonian cut. I can't wait to see these! Man of Steel is a movie with a lot of good material, and I believe that some good tempered editing could really pull something great out of it!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
samspider3 said:
You know, I felt exactly the same about the flying scene when I watched it on cinema.  I was very disappointed because it was the scene I was waiting the most.  It's almost like a sacred moment.  That's why in my fan edit I edited it some days ago in a similar way you are describing it.  I think as mine as yours will be an amazing re edited version of the first flight :)

I've been working on my version of the first-flight scene all week, mixing and remixing the audio but I think it's finally ready. Visually it's got a similar feel to your cut...

- Generally I wanted this to capture the joy and thrill of flight
- Score replaced with the MOS hero theme (aka "What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World"). I'm gonna be adding this to several moments of heroics
- Recut and rearranged footage to time with the musics rhythms and beats
- Reworked all the soundFX as there was quite a bit of bleed through on the center channel in this one scene (typical) and added some of my own

This pretty much how I thought the scene should have been when I first saw the movie. There is still some audio fine-tuning to do in the future no doubt.

The timeline for the scene, for those (like me) who are interested in seeing them...

32802202280_8d96aa9707_b.jpg

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am extremely happy for TM to do a version of Man of Steel.  I have done one too, but am not entirely satisfied with it… we will see!  The first clips seem wonderful!  Good Luck!!!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DSM2337 said:
A Cymbal of Hope

Ha!

Another clip showing my recut of the 'Tornado Flashback' sequence (FYI: Between about 00.48 and 02.00 is unedited)...

- Toned down Clark's cruel words to his Dad a lot. We don't see much of their relationship, so what we do see shouldn't have been as harsh as it was in the original. Also removed the angry look his Dad gives Clark (again for the same relationship reason)
- Removed Jonathan telling Clark not to save him and Clark actually agreeing to do that. It was the worst moment of the movie for me. Now it's recut so it looks like Clark is just about to rush in when suddenly his Dad is killed. He hesitated and that's what got him killed.
- Removed Clark saying he let his Dad die because he "Trusted him". Hopefully now it plays like he blames himself for hesitating, not that he literally made a choice to "let his father die". Does it work with the new context?

Original scene for comparison...

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like it… I find the scream to be kind of off for the first time, though… I will watch it again later to see if I get the same feeling.

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That works a lot better. I'm still not a fan of the scene (hence why I excised it), but this certainly allows the characters to behave in a less stupid fashion.

By the way, did the dog escape? Everyone cares about the dog :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
I like it… I find the scream to be kind of off for the first time, though

In what way? The scream isn't edited if I recall.

DSM2337 said:
By the way, did the dog escape? Everyone cares about the dog :)

There wasn't anyway to integrate that shot of the dog escaping naturally/tonally but maybe Clark's anguished scream is for the Dog? :D

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the tornado clip. 

Pitch-perfect work, as usual. No suggestions from this guy.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the feedback. Hmmm, I'll have another look at the dog shot and see if I can find a place for it.

One of the worst parts of MOS (for me at least) was Lois not saying "Superman" during the interrogation scene. It speaks to Zack Snyder's obvious discomfort with the Superman character. e.g. He can't have red pants, he can't have a cowlick, Lois has to know he is Clark etc because it's all apparently too "goofy" for a modern Superman movie. Well all of that cannot be changed but the film not being allowed to say the word "Superman" might be.

Using an interview with Amy Adams where she says "Superman", I've dubbed it in over the line we don't hear. I'm not sure if it quite works though...

The first part of this clip is also recut so we see Lois laughing at Superman's joke about surrendering. It's lighter and shorter that way.

If I can't make the redubbing work, I could just remove that part. I'd rather have Lois not bring up "Superman" than not be allowed to say it.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't find Lois knowing who Clark is all that offensive...the modern interpreation of Lois  in the comics has known who he is since I was a kid in the 1990s after all. Every modern version of Lois ultimately finds out sooner or later...happened very early on in the Lois and Clark show too if I recall.

I don't know, depends on your preference for what deem to be the 'classics' I guess...and to be fair, they did keep Lois oblivious to it in the animated series and until the very last season of Smallville, so there's that.

Back to the edit...you just about got away with that, with the timing of the lips and the audio. Did it take you a few goes there?

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It doesn’t work too badly, actually.  Better than one may think.  There is a slight, I think, amount of noise under the dialogue, but it could be the original.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dude, your version of the Tornado scene is way better than the original.  It sticks to the idea I had in the beginning of Clark not able to save Jonathan because he was too late, he hesitated.

Asking for your permission, could I edit that scene in a similar way to yours for my cut? If it doen't bother you, of course.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just catching up on this thread....
Cut list sounds very good.  Love the idea of the music piano cue after Superman saves Lois.
Good call on the destroyed truck moment.
I agree with you on the First Flight.... Superman should not fall.

What are your plans for the epic Metropolis fight?

Tornado scene I like much better.  Though what if you cut off Clark a second or two earlier, while in mid forward motion?  Instead of hesitation, he is simply too late to act?

The "Superman" dub idea I love, and it feels almost there.  Maybe manip the audio a wee bit more? 

Looking forward to this one.  :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
you just about got away with that, with the timing of the lips and the audio.

Canon Editor said:
It doesn’t work too badly, actually.  Better than one may think.  There is a slight, I think, amount of noise under the dialogue, but it could be the original.

As I thought, it's not quite right. Simply removing it is easy, so if I can't make it work I'll use this version...

samspider3 said:
Dude, your version of the Tornado scene is way better than the original.  It sticks to the idea I had in the beginning of Clark not able to save Jonathan because he was too late, he hesitated.

Asking for your permission, could I edit that scene in a similar way to yours for my cut? If it doen't bother you, of course.

Yeah go for it. IIRC... I suggested this way of the cutting the scene way back for some other person's fanedit of MOS (I forget which). So my cut would be the second to use this version anyway.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The timeline for the scene, for those (like me) who are interested in seeing them...

32802202280_8d96aa9707_b.jpg

And I thought my timelines were disorganized!   :p

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MUCH better TMTYC, I'd rather you go with that.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Love the idea of the music piano cue after Superman saves Lois.

Don't think I've uploaded a clip of that yet but yes, it works really nicely IMHO.

bionicbob said:
What are your plans for the epic Metropolis fight?

Nothing specific yet but generally making it shorter and not having Superman deliberately murdering thousands of people (where possible).

bionicbob said:
Tornado scene I like much better.  Though what if you cut off Clark a second or two earlier, while in mid forward motion?  Instead of hesitation, he is simply too late to act?

I like the way it plays into Clark regretting not acting.

TVs Frink said:
And I thought my timelines were disorganized!   :p

There is a logic to how I have it laid out (believe it or not). I'd explain but it would be too boring to contemplate.

Top Bottom