• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Man of Steel (2013)

Don't forget Amy Adams was in smallville too! There's also a shoutout to Chloe Sullivan, when Clark is being bullied - They're outside 'Sullivan's' something or other. Oh, and smallville was about superman, and so was this movie.

This movie was more about how much Hollywood could get away with CGI and it was to dark for my tasted, there was nothing about this Superman or Clark Kent that made me want to root for him. His Step Father just was not impressive to me, he was dull and Boring compared to John Schnider of Smallville and Hist step mother was just as boring. And what about Lana Lang all we saw was her was as a kid, no high school friends, please don't get me started I just don't
like the direction they are taking this, but to each his own, so for those who really love this version reboot they hey that's all that matters.

Gaith said:
I kinda... really hated this movie. So damn loud I had to cover my ears during the biggest action bits. The shaky cam made me queasy, and ruined even the quiet and intimate scenes on the Kent farm that should have worked.

I love Michael Shannon, but he was sorely miscast. He excels at crazy person, whereas the role required snobbish nobility to match the humble nobility of Supes.

Nothing in the movie made a Zod-damned bit of sense. Why does Clark smash up a truck that probably didn't even belong to the jerkass driver? Why did he tell Martha he met his "father", not his "biological father"? When Welling-Clark heard from the Jor-El AI, he was a decent enough son to refer to him as his "biological father".

Why does a super-advanced "codex" look like an ancient skull? Did Jor-El really re-code Clark's entire DNA, or just a part of it? In what, thirty seconds? That's really stupid, and sounds really dangerous. Why does Jor-El keep saying Clark's gonna inspire and lead the world, when the whole idea behind the natural birth was for Clark to choose his own way? What if Clark just wants to become a chef? Did he mean Clark could inspire humanity with an out-of-this-world lemon meringue pie?

Why was there a Superman suit on the ancient scout ship? Why was it red and blue when everything else the Kryptonians wore was black? Why wouldn't Zod and Co. want Earth as it was, to rule humanity as Olympian tyrants? If the Kryptonians have a machine that can transform whole worlds' mass, why... no. Just no. Look, I can accept a lot, but not that. That's extremely stupid. Where is the extra mass coming from? Why does the black hole appear stationary? The Earth orbits the sun at roughly 28 km/s. Even if I accept the notion of a mini-black hole that very politely eats the alien space ship and doesn't destroy what's left of the city right below it, I'm sure as sh*t not accepting a mini-black hole that orbits the sun.

Why does Jonathan also say Clark has a great destiny to inspire people, and then get all pissy when Clark says he doesn't want to be a farmer all his life? Why does Morpheus order a building evacuation when the safest course is obviously to stay put, and avoid the chaos of the streets? Why can't Zod just move his eyeballs to fry the family while in Clark's headlock? How does a 33-year-old with (presumably) no qualifications whatsoever join the staff of a dying industry, and get introduced to the paper's star reporter by the editor himself? Why can the movie show us a graphic neck-snapping, but won't allow Commander Locke to say "fucking"?

Never mind being a mere fraction as good as Smallville's pilot, which isn't even the best ep of its first season. Why was this movie even worse than frickin' Superman Returns?!

D+

:p

(Compare to Iron Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man, both A-minuses.)

Sounds like you shouldn't be watching sci-fi. Ever.

Metrostar said:
2ni66f6.jpg

:-D

Wow, I've made that typo quite a bit in my post, huh? (I just corrected one of them).
Funny picture, I never saw Red Dwarf though. Looks like Jim Carrey to me on this picture, lol.

TMBTM said:
Wow, I've made that typo quite a bit in my post, huh? (I just corrected one of them).
Funny picture, I never saw Red Dwarf though. Looks like Jim Carrey to me on this picture, lol.

Kind of does doesn't he. Sorry. Love Red Dwarf. Any excuse to remind the world of it! :)

BloodLust said:
This movie was more about how much Hollywood could get away with CGI and it was to dark for my tasted, there was nothing about this Superman or Clark Kent that made me want to root for him. His Step Father just was not impressive to me, he was dull and Boring compared to John Schnider of Smallville and Hist step mother was just as boring. And what about Lana Lang all we saw was her was as a kid, no high school friends, please don't get me started I just don't
like the direction they are taking this, but to each his own, so for those who really love this version reboot they hey that's all that matters.

Yeah, as much as I liked Kevin Costner the Smallville version will always be the best Jonathan Kent for me. It would've been nice to have seen a little bit more of him as a kid. But the nice thing is that there's always gonna be the Chris Reeve's version, Smallville version, the DCAU version, and this one. So there's a Superman for everyone really.

reave said:
Sounds like you shouldn't be watching sci-fi. Ever.
Hey, you're talking to a guy who totally enjoyed Red Planet. I'll forgive all sorts of stuff if the story, characters, and pace are interesting and engaging, even the stupid and completely unnecessary traitorous government official subplot in IM3. :p

reave said:
For those who "hate" Man of Steel, which one of these options would you have preferred?
The cast was first-rate. The only problematic bits were just about everything else.

BloodLust said:
I suppose in the end I am more for the Smallvile type Superman story.

BloodLust

So you'd rather have a Superman story that only resembles Superman in that it features a character named Clark Kent who is really an alien from another planet, but in very little way does he or any of the supporting cast featured resemble their comic counterparts in any real way? Got it.

njvc said:
Don't forget Amy Adams was in smallville too! There's also a shoutout to Chloe Sullivan, when Clark is being bullied - They're outside 'Sullivan's' something or other. Oh, and smallville was about superman, and so was this movie.

lol

g1orkatsos said:
A World's Finest movie coming next?!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/20/report-supermanbatman-movie-planned

F**K YEAH!!!
national-high-five-day.jpg

Also we might get to see a Flash movie in 2016 and a Justice League movie in 2017.
But still....
Batman and Superman together?!
F**K YEAH!!!
Hmm, can't help but feel something's wrong with that...
Honestly, I don't know if this is part of WB's DCU plan or that there is no faith in making a solo Superman sequel (I'm inclined to believe either the latter or both). All I know is that it's going to be written by David Goyer again...
genieCheerleader_963.png

Nic said:
Honestly, I don't know if this is part of WB's DCU plan or that there is no faith in making a solo Superman sequel (I'm inclined to believe either the latter or both). All I know is that it's going to be written by David Goyer again...
I believe...

1) DC has never had a plan for more than one movie at a time.
2) They correctly fear they just shot their wad with Zod as the best Supes villain, and need a good hook for the sequel - Luthor won't cut it by himself, and Brainiac just sounds hopelessly dumb to the average audience member.
3) For the above reason, mixing Supes and Bats for MOS2 is actually pretty sound strategy...
4) But yes, with Goyer scripting again, chances of suckage are high. I'll probably wait for the redbox on this one.

Not too happy about this.

1) I was worried that DC would start thinking more about JL than their individual properties, and this has proven to be correct. I wanted more Man of Steel. This won't really be that. I wanted a true sequel. This is going to be like Iron Man 2. Exactly what I didn't want.
2) They're reintroducing Batman too soon. I think this reason speaks for itself.

Anyways, I'm not going to lie to you guys, I'll probably be the first in line, if for no other reason than to see Superman and Batman on the big screen together. And, I do want to see a follow up to MoS, even if it is this half-hearted. And, honestly, who am I to say it won't be good? It very well could be. I just wish they had gone in a different direction. Or at least waited on the direction they're going with.

PS: Oddly enough I have the same feelings towards Xmen: DoFP. Wish they had just gone with a straight-up First Class sequel.

Gaith said:
I believe...

1) DC has never had a plan for more than one movie at a time.
2) They correctly fear they just shot their wad with Zod as the best Supes villain, and need a good hook for the sequel - Luthor won't cut it by himself, and Brainiac just sounds hopelessly dumb to the average audience member.
3) For the above reason, mixing Supes and Bats for MOS2 is actually pretty sound strategy...
4) But yes, with Goyer scripting again, chances of suckage are high. I'll probably wait for the redbox on this one.

I was going to say that both Luthor and Bizarro could be in the next film, and giving us a chance for "Superman" (Actually Bizarro before he/it goes all Bizarre) and Clark Kent to be in the same place at the same time on screen... Then I realised that Bizzaro would probably be too "unrealistic" for them to have as a villain.... And Lex Luthor would actually have legitimate and well defined reasons for wanting Superman gone/dead...

Also Superman doesn't really exist in this film universe. In his place is some mopey hobo alien called "Man of Steel" who's a self-proclaimed "saviour" that does very little saving (beyond punching a giant space laser on the other side of the planet where there's no people around.)

Very, very good. Not sure he's entirely right though about Superman. I got the feeling the devastation was deeply troubling, but he didn't know what to do - he was outclassed. The scenes with Perry and co were essential for seeing the human toll.
I suppose the sequel will tell - if he is troubled by the destruction which in effect HE brought on the earth. Of course if it just jumps to a Superman Batman mashup with nary a thought to the destruction :-( Then folding human is right.
But very insightful about the shift in movies from "should we?" to "shoot first". It reflects a war mindset, which is troubling for a country that is not at war.

Nic said:
So..., I'm just gonna say that this video makes me feel uncomfortable and leave it at that.

http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s3e5-the-people-vs-clark-kent-6618856

An interesting political take on modern superhero movies. There is definitely a reflection of the times within these movies, which is what good movies do, but yeah, one could definitely overanalyze these movies and interpret them to be a bit disturbing about their implied messages. Superhero movies have always had some of these issues though. There is an inherent implication that when an individual decides to become a vigilante, he/she is making a statement that the existing system is incompetent and an individual or small group of individuals know better. This conflict is well explored in Watchmen.

Also, the statement he makes that $1 trillion could provide a long list of services (including internet and basic health care) to everyone on the planet is ridiculous. There are 7 billion people on the planet. This equates to $142/person.

^ Those figures generally aren't intended to account for those who already have such basic necessities. An intelligent but overall meh video.

Back
Top Bottom