• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Malthus - A Year In Editing.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 35:

My quest to create a grindhouse aesthetic continues...

Yesterday's foray into using overlays and tints get me pretty excited but the results were far from perfect. So I continued tinkering today and I think I may have found an aesthetic that I really like. I used Power Glove & PYLOT - Aeon for this quick rescore.

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 36:

Oh no! I've fallen down a retrowave hole and I can't get out! I've been listening to Carpenter Brut's music all day. I'd honestly forgotten how much I enjoy the genre. As to why I have been listening to retrowave, well that's simple. It turns out Priest (2011) has a largely clean central channel AKA the holy grail of fanediting finds. Yesterday @Wakeupkeo gave me some fab feedback over on Reddit which prompted me to continue my mission to create the perfect grindhouse aesthetic. Here are today's efforts.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 37:

Polish_20220206_111148794.jpg

So I made some artwork for my Priest edit. I'm having a seriously good time with it, today I made a really satisfying audio loop to extend a track to fit a scene and I loved it. It's made me want to finish off my Underworld rescore too so that's definitely on the cards this week.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 38:

I'm making really great progress* with my PREACHERMAN edit. I've not felt this fired up about a project in a long time. Guess I better make a formal project thread...

*18 out of 70 minutes rescored.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Grindhouse effect in test 2 looks like quite a short loop. It need to last longer to not be that noticeable.
I usually use only 1 minute or longer overlays for loop, and shorter only to add some variety, and not on loop. Also, sometimes it's good to try invert effect on an overlay to have black particles instead.
Test 3 is better in that regard but the grindhouse effect is very light on it.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Grindhouse effect in test 2 looks like quite a short loop.

Oh yeah it was way to short. The one I settled on is 3 minutes and it's working out really nicely.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd advice not to limit it to just one (or a few) overlay(s). I think now, that I should've used more of them on JLG (but this was my first attempt at grindhouse and I didn't really know what I'm doin'), fixed that with Machete edit, and went for even bigger variety of grindhouse effects on Star Beast (with additional grain layer for the whole movie).

Just take a look on Rodriguez' Planet Terror.

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 39:

I did a variety of things today. I started by oroof watched the first half of my Priest edit, boy oh boy do those levels need work but all in all I'm very pleased with the progress. I also trimmed a bit of unnecessary bloat from an action sequence and made a project thread for the edit. I also received my third perfect score for my Infinite Spider-Man edit, shout out to @AdvisorOk4636 for that. Glad you enjoyed it!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 40:

I found out my subscription for my online drive was randomly cancelled and can't he restarted as my card has been flagged for fraud. Apologies to anyone that inconvenienced. This meant I spent a large portion of my day looking at alternative hosting options. I might end up returning to my "multiple google drive accounts" as a work around until I get things sorted.

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 41:

Rewatched Priest for the 5th time to identify any additional cuts that could be made. Tinkered with the colour grading and experimented with various possible tracks for the rescore. Very little to show for it but it was productive none the less.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 42:

I needed a bit of a break from editing Priest so I returned to my Black Widow edit and began colour matching the deleted scenes. I also finessed one transition. After I regrade the colours of the deleted scenes I need to mask an incomplete effect and that should be that.

There is one deleted scene I'm struggling to incorporate which is a pity as I really like it and I'm still not sure about whether I want to include Natasha's Endgame death as the cold open.

Colour matching​

While not final I was really pleased with the progress I made here.

Before - Deleted scene left/theatrical right
unknown.png

After - Deleted scene left/theatrical right
unknown.png

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 43:

I continued to work on my Black Widow edit. I'm still unable to satisfactorily finesse one transition meaning I might need to ditch on of the deleted sequences. I really don't want to though because it's a good interaction between Natasha and Yelena. Perhaps I can use just part of the scene or completely rescore it?

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 44:

Experimented wit lalal ai to test its audio extraction capabilities. It has potential but it isn't perfect. Might try it with my black widow deleted sequence.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 45:

Completed the two cuts of my Black Widow edit and previewed the Redacted version. So far so good...

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 46:

Back to Priest for some unsuccessful rescoring efforts. Huzzah! Why does every rescore start out strongly and then grow increasingly challenging?!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 46:

Back to Priest for some unsuccessful rescoring efforts. Huzzah! Why does every rescore start out strongly and then grow increasingly challenging?!
I've been asking myself that question for 2 years now....

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 47:

So I processed my copy of Legion (2010) and I'm happy to report it's central channel is pretty much clear \(°o°)/

I also previewed an interesting edit by @Ridimix which shows lots of potential.

Oh and shout out to @Palandrin for their fab review of my Thor: Odinson edit. Palandrin has written a several reviews recently, all of which have been both detailed and insightful and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them. 10/10 member of our community.

P.s I have inadvertently skipped a couple of posts during February but in my defense this month has been a bit of a blur for me. So if you're wondering what I did on those missing days you can simply assume I spent them petulantly staring at my computer trying to make that damn Black Widow deleted scene fit. Spoilers; it didn't.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 48:

I'm deep in a grindhouse hole everything looks deteriorated and grainy and the music is really good. I have been exploring Dungeon synth and Dark Wave as potential rescoring options while also reviewing an edit and outlining my second half of my Grindhouse double bill

Archangel...

Polish_20220219_123916071.jpg

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 49:

A big day for my Matrix edit which lost 20 minutes of footage and I watched and subsequently purchases the Ghost Rider films for a future edit...

Polish_20220220_153913537.jpg

Top Bottom