• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Malthus - A Year In Editing.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 27:

Processed some discs and tinkered with my Underworld rescore. What's that? Oh no, I made LITERALLY no progress but I did make multiple changes that I didn't like and ended up discarding so...
I edited NttD for an hour or two the other night...last night....it's all a blur....and ended up scrapping it all 😅
I'm really liking reading your thread and appreciate reading about the approaches, dilemmas and solutions you come up with. Great resource!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 28:

Big day, I made a trailer for my infinite Spider-Man edit, publicised its release over on Reddit, added the project to IFDB and created a thread.

I also; did some preliminary colour tests on Spider-Man (2002) wow is that film yellow.

Before:
unknown.png

After:
unknown.png

Last edited:

yoshif8tures

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why was your ASM edit shelved? Judging by the original thread it seemed to be complete.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why was your ASM edit shelved? Judging by the original thread it seemed to be complete.

It was initially mothballed as an editor had promised to provide some effects shots for the post credit sequence (Dr Strange Tease) but they never manifested. I began rebuilding it with lossless files recently and it will potentially be my March release after Valerian in February

yoshif8tures

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How were you able to fix the issue of him changing suits between the films?

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 29:

Aside from some limited colour correction work I did next to nothing as my best friend was involved in a car accident. Thankfully they are okay but everything else took a back seat after that.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 30:

Another day of turning blu-rays to MKVs to MP4s. My process might well match yours but either way this is what I do:
  1. Insert disc into optical drive
  2. Open MakeMKV
  3. Select files I wish to keep*
  4. Process disc (1-2hours tops)
  5. Open AVIDemux
  6. Open an MKV I have just made
  7. Select settings: Video Output = copy / Audio Output = AAC (Lav) / Output Format = MP4 Muxer
  8. Select audio stream and highest bit rate**
  9. Press save and wait ~3 minutes
  10. Repeat stages 5-9 for other files
* Sometimes I copy everything but usually I watch the disc before hand
** AVIDemux does not seem to like file with 7.1 audio or older codecs so I occasionally use Handbrake to process an ultra low Res MP4 with seperated audio streams, works like a charm but it's a slow process compared to AVIDemux. (1+ hour)

Bonus content: I was copying my TASM 1+2 discs and started some preliminary colour work on them. Turns out 18 months later I might be able to accurately colour match the footage.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
** AVIDemux does not seem to like file with 7.1 audio or older codecs so I occasionally use Handbrake to process an ultra low Res MP4 with seperated audio streams, works like a charm but it's a slow process compared to AVIDemux. (1+ hour)
You're losing video quality there aren't you? Why not just extract the 7.1 audio in another program. I've run into the same issue with AVIDemux and usually just use the 5.1 mix.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You're losing video quality there aren't you? Why not just extract the 7.1 audio in another program. I've run into the same issue with AVIDemux and usually just use the 5.1 mix.
I think they mean they make a junky second video track as a workaround to get their NLE to accept extra audio, and splits the 8 sound files between two video files, one full quality video used for the edit, and one unused low quality copy.

Edit: oh do you mean audio quality? I think you can do it losslessy (with audio) in handbrake.

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Exactly @addiesin. Sorry @DigModiFicaTion I wasn't particularly clear. I use AVIDemux for the video (using a random audio) and make a second version for the 8 channel audio and just replace the trash video with the AVIDemux file. And voilà.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, I see. Does lightworks accept the 7.1 audio without having to convert it?

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, I see. Does lightworks accept the 7.1 audio without having to convert it?

When I put an MKV into handbrake I select the audio to be 7.1 mixdown and the highest bitrate. Then I drop the resultant mp4 file in into Lightworks and each channel plays independently. I assumed that was standard behavior for NLE's but I've only used Lightworks so I am probably wrong

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 31:

It is the end of the first month of 2022 and what a month it has been. Let's do a run down:
  • Two edits completed: Infinite Spider-Man and Valerian - No Love Lost Edition with artwork and trailers
  • One edit started: The Matrix - Rebellions (70% Done)
  • One edit lost: The Wolfman (Retro edition)
  • One major update to my NLE which cause untold problems to existing projects. Urgh this was a headache.
  • One new edit idea that has definite potential: John Is Not OK (Matrix 4/John Wick Fanmix)
  • Three lovely reviews. Thank you to @Wallace Painter @recordwrangler95 @gunpowder for taking the time to review my efforts.
So; what are my intentions for February? Well so far;
  • Release Valerian (1st of February)
  • Complete The Matrix - Rebellions
  • Complete my The Amazing Spider-Man - Radioactive Edition
  • Chip away at my Underworld rescore
And how am spending my last day of January. Watching films and making notes with a light bit of colour correction practice on the side.

Thank you to everyone who has followed along thus far. So long, January, bring on February...

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 32:

I spent the first day of February doing some little jobs. I submitted my Valerian edit and uploaded it to my drive. I also finalised my matrix-style title card. Oh, and I bought It Chapter 1+2 for a future project.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 33:

Today I processed 3 discs

Priest (2011)
It (2017)
It Chapter Two (2018)

I also made some preliminary cuts to Priest and tested out a colour grade to see how viable it might be. The results look pretty promising.

Before:
unknown.png

After:
unknown.png

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 32:

I spent the first day of February doing some little jobs. I submitted my Valerian edit and uploaded it to my drive. I also finalised my matrix-style title card. Oh, and I bought It Chapter 1+2 for a future project.

I used this matrix bakground creator to create a custom background for the FE logo that used fanedit.org as the text of the matrix stream. Might be fun to have the code say Malthus Fanedits or something like that :)

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 34:

Really good day today. I started out with some further exploration of my colour regrading experiments with Priest (2011). Thank you to @Handman and @The Scribbling Man for your input.

I then made a few tweaks to a few edits but decided I'd watch It: Chapter 1. I made some notes and sketched out the bones of the first 3 episodes of my potential It mini series.

I received my first review for my Infinite Spider-Man edit and what lovely review it was. Thanks @Zarius!

And after rewatching @Gieferg's fab little Star Beast trailer I experimented with some grindhouse filters which was a lot of fun. I'm thinking of doing a grindhouse style vampire double feature comprised of truncated versions of Priest and Daybreakers with various grindhouse fanedit trailers at the interlude in homage to Quentin Tarantino's Grindhouse double bill.

Polish_20220203_215246985.jpg

Last edited:

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe slip in some Paul Bettany Silas from the Da Vinci Code....personally i don't like the fella as he ended up stealing my girlfriend and marrying her :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom