• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Malthus - A Year In Editing.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have set myself the mission of editing every day throughout 2022.

This thread will serve as a blog as I chronicle all my fanediting and adjacent actions. I will be posting concept art, samples and rough ideas along with regular progress updates on all my IFDB and other projects.

The aim; to improve my skills while increasing my engagement with the community.

Overview:

I currently have multiple projects languishing in incompleteness:
  • The Wolf Man (2010) Retro edit (Files got lost)
  • Valerian - No Love Lost Edition
  • The Amazing Spider-Man - Radioactive Edition
  • Infinite Spider-Man
  • Underworld - First Blood
  • Star Wars - Ashes of the Empire
  • Quarks
  • The League
  • Black widow - Redacted/Declassified (Workprints completed)
  • Shang Chi
  • Der Panzer (Fury edit) Back to square one due to a catastrophic audio issue
I also have various ideas that are pulling at my attention such as my "Studio Malthus" Ghibli-esque edits and a variety of niche anime edits that I fear will only really appeal to me.

Last edited:

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
a variety of niche anime edits that I fear will only really appeal to me.
That can be a trap of editing projects, finding some labour of love is less widely recognised than you'd believe it to be, but that's not to say fans of what you might do don't exist. If it gives you another credit on your C.V I'd say it's worth putting it out there regardless.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd say it's worth putting it out there regardless.

You're right, I started but dropped a movie edit of Escaflowne which is one of my all time favourite animes. The project got no traction here so I shelved it in favour of a project that would garner more attention within the community. As an established editor I now feel much happier leaning into vanity projects like that. I just grabbed a copy of Izetta - The Last Witch and I plan on truncating it down to a movie length. If you've not seen it I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Ghibli esque content and alternative histories.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I shelved it in favour of a project that would garner more attention within the community

I'd never do an edit for attention, I'm doing them for myself. I consider attention to be a nice bonus.
The edit which I consider to be my favourite and most interesting editing experience yet, didnt get almost any attention and the one I am workin' right now won't be even "advertised" until finished.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@The Scribbling Man I'm willing to persevere with it a little longer because while it's only 15 secs of content it provides a nice interaction between Natasha and Yelena. If I can't figure it out I'll nix the scene but I'll certainly weep uncontrollably if I have to

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd never do an edit for attention, I'm doing them for myself. I consider attention to be a nice bonus.
The edit which I consider to be my favourite, didnt get almost any attention :p

I meant attention as in feedback and input. I had zero experience in editing back in 2020. I joined Fanedit.org with the hope to learn. For there to be any growth there had to be input from other editors so I opted for projects that would provide me the greatest opportunity for personal development.

Last edited:

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, that's understandable.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 2:

Today I did what I often find hardest; I rewatched a work in progress edit. I was dreading rewatching an edit after so many months of inactivity but Underworld: First Blood held up. It's narrative flows smoothly. The big issue I have is selecting the tracks for the rescoring. I have all the tracks but find the right one for the right scene is the tricky bit.

I also revisited my Star Wars edit which @The Scribbling Man kindly watched in its embryonic stages. With this project I'm pioneering a new approach to how I edit. I'm actually editing individual sequence in their entirety in seperate timelines before bringing them all together in the master time line. Perhaps this is a common place practice but it has worked well so far and allows me to focus in on each moment. Now if only I can convince someone to render our a custom crawl for me....

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 3:

Whipped up some fresh artwork for my Star Wars edit...

Polish_20220103_201132388.jpg

And I successfully finessed all the transitions in my Infinite Spider-Man edit:

unknown.png

So that's 33.37 minutes of Parker action which will be added onto a truncated Civil War/Homecoming Fanmix

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 4:

Big day today, I left MakeMKV running when I went to bed last night and I now have some shiny new Spider-Man: Homecoming files to play with. This morning I will be running them through Avidemix and Handbrake before sticking them into Lightworks. The aim; to remove all non-Parker-centric sequences from the movie to reduce focus in on Peter's story which will then segue into the 33+ minutes of Infinity War content I'll be adding at the end.

Lots of progress made today:

Colour graded Infinity War footage
Minor colour correction on Homecoming footage
Removed four scenes and finessed the resultant transitions
Rescored Marvel flicker
Repurposed Spider-Man theme from Homecoming flicker for the title card
Made a title card

unknown.png

Last edited:

yoshif8tures

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That’ll be interesting. A Parker edit that keeps his scenes from the other films.
How will the narrative work though?

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That’ll be interesting. A Parker edit that keeps his scenes from the other films.
How will the narrative work though?
The narrative is pretty linear. I've opted to not include the Civil War footage so that this can be watched as a sequel. The key difference here is we have much less characterization of the Vulture leave a streamlined Homecoming with an extra 35 minutes of Infinity War added as an epilogue. The films segue together really nicely. Peter leaves the Avengers compound and then we cut to Tony and Peper post-press conference being sort out by Dr Strange before returning to Peter on the bus.

Top Bottom