• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Malthus - A Year In Editing.

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 57:

Several weeks ago @Darth Kermit mentioned that they use audacity to obtain individual mono wavs. I had never used this method because I didn't need to as I, like many community members, use AVIdemux. In the rare occasions that AVIdemux fails to handle the audio due to a codec issue I use Handbrake to create a low quality video high quality audio proxy and switch the video with my AVIdemux MP4. However, when I tried to process Blade (1998) both AVIdemux AND Handbrake failed to deal with the audio stream so I needed an alternative solution. And the results were superb! If you've never tried Audacity I strongly recommend it.

Method:
  1. Obtain MKV from source disc. I use Makemkv.
  2. Process MKV with AVIdemux to obtain editable MP4
  3. Demux MKV to obtain audio stream. I used tsMuxer for this.
  4. Import audio stream into Audacity* ~4 mins.
  5. Select Export Multiple to produce individual wavs of each channel. ~20 sec per channel.
  6. Profit**
* You might need to instal the latest version of ffmpeg to do this. I certainly did.
** Do NOT profit from your fanedits!
The method I use is actually even simpler, although I’m not sure if it gets the same result. I don’t actually know what muxing is, but my process is:
1. Obtain MKV using MakeMKV
2. Put MKV into Audacity
3. Using Export Multiple, export all 6 audio channels which are already put into the correct order (for a 5.1 at least, never tried with anything above or below that, but I’d imagine it would work)
4. Using ffmpeg, convert MKV to MP4 for editing
5. At the end, convert MKV to uncompressed (I don’t remember the name of the file, I learned this from @M4_) and substitute it for the MP4 for lossless video quality.
This does require ffmpeg and the audacity ffmpeg plugin to work, but it works wonderfully in my experience and it worked for M4.
And I would love to hear a fanediting podcast hosted by yourself!

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can use HD stream extractor, which is a very accessible GUI for eac3to.
Sorry i should elaborate that is the GUI i use...thanks @The Scribbling Man . Its very easy to use @Malthus Play around with it when you get some time..there is a tutorial on here somewhere. I'll try and find it for you.

UPDATE: The tutorial is here : Audio 4a Decoding with Eacto

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don’t actually know what muxing is, but my process is:
1. Obtain MKV using MakeMKV
2. Put MKV into Audacity...

Presumably at this stage audacity imports all of the various audio streams from the MKV (i.e English, Spanish, Italian etc) so you then need to delete the tracks that are undesirable.

The reason I used tsMuxer is because you can select which audio stream you want and it'll spit it out as a single file that can be put into Audacity.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am really enjoying chronicling my fanediting efforts and it got me thinking...

What about a weekly podcast?

But what would it be about I hear you cry. Well...
  • Discussions of methodology
  • Interviews with community members
  • Detailed conversation about on going projects and their development
  • Ideas for new releases
  • Reviews of new media and/or edits
You get the idea. I was thinking episodes would be 30-45 minutes.

Is that something you'd be interested in?

Totally interested in that! I had thoughts about doing videos on methodology for my YouTube channel because I get tons of questions about the logistics of fanediting. There’s an interest in the topic out there for sure. It would also be fun to hear members of the community share their stories.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With a podcast, we'd finally get to the bottom of that age old question that's plagued the fanediting community for decades:
What does Malthus' voice sound like?

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Presumably at this stage audacity imports all of the various audio streams from the MKV (i.e English, Spanish, Italian etc) so you then need to delete the tracks that are undesirable.

The reason I used tsMuxer is because you can select which audio stream you want and it'll spit it out as a single file that can be put into Audacity.
Oh no sorry. When I use MakeMKV I deselct all the audio tracks I don’t want, so I’m only left with the 5.1 english track, which Audacity then separates into the 6 individual tracks in the correct order.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right; thanks to @The Scribbling Man @lapis molari @Jrzag42 @Darth Kermit @Last Impressions @Ryantology for your vote of confidence in my podcast idea. I've decided I'm going to push ahead with it.

I will make a thread for it soon but I figured I'd share my current thoughts for the series here for the time being.

I really like Lapis' suggestion of keeping episodes short (around 25min) so that's something I'm going to work towards. In March I will be releasing The Matrix: Rebellion which will be my 12 edit on IFDB and it gave me an idea for how to give the series a regular structure.

I have spoken to Jrzag42 about appearing on the pilot episode as they were the academy member who approved me. So the first episode will focus on how I became a faneditor and Jr's backstory with the following episode looking at my first edit Thor: Odinson. This structure will repeat as I work through my releases chronologically with episodes alternating between me talking to fellow faneditors and then a deeper dive into one of my projects. To avoid it being all about me every third cycle will focus on a different editor and one of of their edits.

So here's a HYPOTHETICAL running order:

Ep 1: Desperately seeking approval: Jr and I talking about our origin stories and fanediting in general
Ep 2: Thor: Odinson: A deep dive into the making of my first edit. (I'll also do a full length watch along commentary of the edit as a bonus when ever I cover one of my edits)
Ep 3: Freeware: An overview at the various free software faneditors use when making edits featuring [Insert guest here]
Ep 4: Driver A 25 minute deep dive into the making of my first fanmix (Drive and La La Land) with a full length watch-along commentary as a bonus.
Ep 5 Digmodification: The Origin story for Dig featuring @DigModiFicaTion
Ep 6: The Coaxium Heist: An in depth conversation about the development of Digmod's sensational Solo edit

Thoughts? (That gives me 36 episodes or 9 months worth of content)

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ep 5 Digmodification: The Origin story for Dig featuring @DigModiFicaTion
Ep 6: The Coaxium Heist: An in depth conversation about the development of Digmod's sensational Solo edit
Sounds like fun! Just warning you that it will be an oddball conversation for sure:) I'll have to review what i told BanthaFodder to make sure my origin story is accurate 🙃

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love the idea! Since the other fanedit podcast ended, I've been yearning for something like this!

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Method:

1. Obtain MKV from source disc. I use Makemkv.
  2. Process MKV with AVIdemux to obtain editable MP4
  3. Demux MKV to obtain audio stream. I used tsMuxer for this.
  4. Import audio stream into Audacity* ~4 mins.
  5. Select Export Multiple to produce individual wavs of each channel. ~20 sec per channel.
  6. Profit**

I don't see any need for MKVs or MP4s.

1. Rip Blu-ray disc as a Blu-ray structure (main movie only).
2. demux audio track with TS_Muxer
3. Put audio into Belight (there's no importing, just select file and demux into separate mono Wavs).

I'm editing on m2ts file - what's interesting, there was not even one crash of Vegas since I started working on Star Beast. Vegas must really like Alien :)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't see any need for MKVs or MP4s.

1. Rip Blu-ray disc as a Blu-ray structure (main movie only).
2. demux audio track with TS_Muxer
3. Put audio into Belight (there's no importing, just select file and demux into separate mono Wavs).

I'm editing on m2ts file - what's interesting, there was not even one crash of Vegas since I started working on Star Beast. Vegas must really like Alien :)
That used to be my prevoius work flow. For some reason Vegas stopped liking m2ts files for me. Once I switched to MP4's using MKV and avidemux, the crashses started to go away.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Podcast Update:

I think I've decided on a title for the podcast:

Recut

Here is my proposal for the first block of episodes. If you're a community member and want to be a [Guest] or a faneditor who wants to be a [Guest] or an [Interviewee] please DM me. Please note that [Guest]s can select the topic they wish to discuss on their episode.
  1. Desperately Seeking Approval - Jrzag42
  2. Thor: Odinson - Deep Dive + Commentary
  3. Favourite freeware - [Guest]
  4. Driver - Deep Dive + Commentary
  5. Digmodification interview
  6. The Coaxium Heist - Review/Rewatch
  7. Workflows - [Guest]
  8. Thor: Odinson - Godsized Edition - Deep Dive + Commentary
  9. AI - Topaz and Lalal - [Guest]
  10. Godzilla vs The World - Deep Dive + Commentary
  11. Faneditor interview
  12. Review/Rewatch
  13. [Guest]
  14. Planetfall - Deep Dive + Commentary
  15. [Guest]
  16. The House of Abrasax - Deep Dive + Commentary
  17. Faneditor interview
  18. Review/Rewatch
  19. [Guest]
  20. Infinity Thor - Deep Dive + Commentary
  21. [Guest]
  22. A Better Day To Die Hard - Deep Dive + Commentary
  23. Faneditor interview
  24. Review/Rewatch
  25. [Guest]
  26. Dino Crisis - Deep Dive + Commentary
  27. [Guest]
  28. Infinite Spider-Man - Deep Dive + Commentary
  29. Faneditor interview
  30. Review/Rewatch
  31. [Guest]
  32. Valerian: No Love Lost Edition - Deep Dive + Commentary
  33. [Guest]
  34. The Matrix: Rebellion - Deep Dive + Commentary
  35. Faneditor interview
  36. Review/Rewatch

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
\(°o°)/

Bobson Dugnutt wants to be on the show. Who else...

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Podcast Update:

I think I've decided on a title for the podcast:

Recut

Here is my proposal for the first block of episodes. If you're a community member and want to be a [Guest] or a faneditor who wants to be a [Guest] or an [Interviewee] please DM me. Please note that [Guest]s can select the topic they wish to discuss on their episode.
  1. Desperately Seeking Approval - Jrzag42
  2. Thor: Odinson - Deep Dive + Commentary
  3. Favourite freeware - [Guest]
  4. Driver - Deep Dive + Commentary
  5. Digmodification interview
  6. The Coaxium Heist - Review/Rewatch
  7. Workflows - [Guest]
  8. Thor: Odinson - Godsized Edition - Deep Dive + Commentary
  9. AI - Topaz and Lalal - [Guest]
  10. Godzilla vs The World - Deep Dive + Commentary
  11. Faneditor interview
  12. Review/Rewatch
  13. [Guest]
  14. Planetfall - Deep Dive + Commentary
  15. [Guest]
  16. The House of Abrasax - Deep Dive + Commentary
  17. Faneditor interview
  18. Review/Rewatch
  19. [Guest]
  20. Infinity Thor - Deep Dive + Commentary
  21. [Guest]
  22. A Better Day To Die Hard - Deep Dive + Commentary
  23. Faneditor interview
  24. Review/Rewatch
  25. [Guest]
  26. Dino Crisis - Deep Dive + Commentary
  27. [Guest]
  28. Infinite Spider-Man - Deep Dive + Commentary
  29. Faneditor interview
  30. Review/Rewatch
  31. [Guest]
  32. Valerian: No Love Lost Edition - Deep Dive + Commentary
  33. [Guest]
  34. The Matrix: Rebellion - Deep Dive + Commentary
  35. Faneditor interview
  36. Review/Rewatch

This probably warrants its own thread - especially if you're fishing for guests.

Edit: if you do call it recut, i would consider adding a subtitle that more explicitly relates to fanediting. Will make it easier to search for/come across. "Recut" would not stand out much from the crowd in a sea of podcasts and wouldn't bring up any relevant results on google.

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This probably warrants its own thread - especially if you're fishing for guests.
Absolutely, I reached out to TVfrink over on Discord regarding where the best place to start one would be. I was thinking Special Projects or General Discussion. What do you think?

Top Bottom