• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Malthus - A Year In Editing.

you‘re on fire.

No, that's Johny Blaze aka Ghost Rider...

Polish_20220221_053706889.jpg

Last edited:
Day 52:

Well I definitely lost two days somewhere 😅 Sorry about that folks.

Now that's sorted I guess it would be a good time to discuss the progress of various edits:

• PREACHERMAN aka Priest (2011) Grindhouse - Still a few trims to make in the third act but the rescore is shaping up nicely.
  • Black Widow: Redacted/Declassified - Workprints completed and ready for previewers feedback
  • The Matrix: Rebellion - This is approaching completion. I watched the workprint today and liked it. I almost want to extend the first act a little by reinstating Neo's conversation with the Senator in Zion but I'm torn.
  • Underworld: First Blood - This is an edit that I am... cough cough... working on
Not sure what my March release will be now. It was meant to be PREACHERMAN but I think The Matrix: Rebellion requires less work to finalise.

Day 53:

No editing today but I did perform an important job. I reorganized my edits across various Google drives and backed up a several project folders to my virtual drive.

Day 54:

I saved two more minutes on my Matrix edit. Total runtime now at 3:11:19 with credits.

I also looked at my Underworld rescore. Then closed it and made a sandwich instead. I like the idea of rescoring, I really do, but boy oh boy is it a tricky task.

Shout out to @Jrzag42 for offering to preview my Matrix Fanmix. Any other interesting parties should DM me for more details.

Last edited:
Day 55:

I got some feedback from @Jrzag42 regarding my Matrix edit and I asked Reddit to pick my Ghost Rider poster.

I also watched the Blade Trilogy and subsequently purchased it on blu ray as I am definitely going to be editing them in the near future. I will call this project the Daywalker trilogy. I even mocked up some artwork for them...

Polish_20220224_152641203.jpg

Polish_20220224_193559837.jpg

Polish_20220224_194702058.jpg

Day 56:

I made a new custom Fanedit logo for my Matrix edit (see above) and processed my copy of Blade. Interestingly I had some problems with the audio. It's a 6.1 mix and AVIDemux could not handle it and Handbrake didn't like it either so as it stands I have a silent film. Going to try eAC3to to see if that works. I did, however, take a preliminary stab at Blade's colour grading. (See below) With my Matrix Rebellion edit complete Blade: Daywalker will be my next new project.
20220225_190844.gif

20220225_190857.gif

20220225_190912.gif

The more blue coloured images are the original grade.

Color grading looks GREAT!
Wesley's skin looks more natrual and the blood from the showers also looks way better.
You're on the right path here!

Thanks for the vote of confidence @Dawnrazor but it's very early days. I was literally just playing around with the red curve to balance things out a bit. Increasingly colour work is becoming my favourite aspect of this hobby.

I am really enjoying chronicling my fanediting efforts and it got me thinking...

What about a weekly podcast?

But what would it be about I hear you cry. Well...
  • Discussions of methodology
  • Interviews with community members
  • Detailed conversation about on going projects and their development
  • Ideas for new releases
  • Reviews of new media and/or edits
You get the idea. I was thinking episodes would be 30-45 minutes.

Is that something you'd be interested in?

Last edited:
Podcast sounds cool :) Grading looks good for early days. Why so much blue everywhere?? 😫

Why so much blue everywhere?

Ah the scourge of the 2000's tints. I don't know for certain which film pioneered the heavy blue grading but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Blade. Blue tints certainly became a staple for Vampire films: Underworld, Twilight, and Daybreakers all spring to mind. Naturally the Matrix inspired many films to mimic its green tint throughout the 2000's as well. Thankfully all that's in the the past now because yellow is the new tint of choice 😅.

I am really enjoying chronicling my fanediting efforts and it got me thinking...

What about a weekly podcast?

But what would it be about I hear you cry. Well...
  • Discussions of methodology
  • Interviews with community members
  • Detailed conversation about on going projects and their development
  • Ideas for new releases
  • Reviews of new media and/or edits
You get the idea. I was thinking episodes would be 30-45 minutes.

Is that something you'd be interested in?

Solid idea.

Strong suggestion: keep the episodes around 20-25 minutes each. If a story is so interesting that it merits more time, make it a two-parter.

Day 57:

Several weeks ago @Darth Kermit mentioned that they use audacity to obtain individual mono wavs. I had never used this method because I didn't need to as I, like many community members, use AVIdemux. In the rare occasions that AVIdemux fails to handle the audio due to a codec issue I use Handbrake to create a low quality video high quality audio proxy and switch the video with my AVIdemux MP4. However, when I tried to process Blade (1998) both AVIdemux AND Handbrake failed to deal with the audio stream so I needed an alternative solution. And the results were superb! If you've never tried Audacity I strongly recommend it.

Method:
  1. Obtain MKV from source disc. I use Makemkv.
  2. Process MKV with AVIdemux to obtain editable MP4
  3. Demux MKV to obtain audio stream. I used tsMuxer for this.
  4. Import audio stream into Audacity* ~4 mins.
  5. Select Export Multiple to produce individual wavs of each channel. ~20 sec per channel.
  6. Profit**
* You might need to instal the latest version of ffmpeg to do this. I certainly did.
** Do NOT profit from your fanedits!

Last edited:
EAC3 TO will get you the same WAVS without the need for process 1.2.3.4....WAVS straight from the bluray source disc.

EAC3 TO will get you the same WAVS without the need for process 1.2.3.4....WAVS straight from the bluray source disc.

I was recommended that by @ChainsawAsh but I'm not I'm not au fait with command line tools. I'll certainly explore it at some point but for now I'm happy just to be able to work on Blade.

Cheers, I'll be sure to test that out. Long ago I did experiment with eac3to via a GUI but it resulted in sync issues, almost certainly created through my naivety. One think I love about this hobby is the seemingly endless skills to practice and the unique workflows each editor develops for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom