• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Making a blasted AVI from FCP

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to create an AVI of my Sith rough-cut edited in FCP. I used the export as Quicktime Movie option, then selected AVI as the file type.

My first attempt I set the quality at medium. The resulting file was 2.6 GB and quality was horrible (swimming pixels)
My second attempt I went the other direction and maxed the quality. Resulting file was 26GB or so, and looks beautiful, but A) It's 26Gigs, and B) when I open it in Quicktime, it only shows the first 9:27 of the movie.

Now I know there is now way that an AVI of a 9 minutes is going to be that big, so perhaps there is an issue with my Quicktime viewer handling a file that big?

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong/how I should be doing it to get an acceptable AVI for people to review will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't use Mac, but it sounds like you need to set the codec (compression) option. AVI is just the container. It contains audio and video streams. Most people encode using XVID or DIVX or H.264 when encoding to AVI. What is yours set to? For instance, a lossless, or less efficient lossy codec will result in much higher file sizes.

Perhaps someone who uses a Mac can specifically direct you where to set this.

This defiantly helps, thanks ThrowingCpr. I did not modify the default setting in FPC and this is likely the cause.

I seem to recall seeing that H.264 was ideal. I'll see what I can find via google, but any input from more experienced Mac users will of course be appreciated.

I'm not in front of my computer at the moment, but I don't think FCP allows you to create an H.264 AVI. But since you're on a Mac why not make an H.264 MOV or MP4 file? Both can be viewed on Windows and Mac systems.

thunderclap said:
I'm not in front of my computer at the moment, but I don't think FCP allows you to create an H.264 AVI. But since you're on a Mac why not make an H.264 MOV or MP4 file? Both can be viewed on Windows and Mac systems.

I'll have to check what the options are when I get home. I did click on the compression drop-down, but wasn't sure I should mess with it so left the default. I thought I saw H.264, but could be mistaken.

If I want to make an H.264 MOV or MP4, what are the best ways to do that? I have to get it out of FCP in some format. I have Toast and Filestream and can export in multiple formats from those.

L8wrtr said:
If I want to make an H.264 MOV or MP4, what are the best ways to do that? I have to get it out of FCP in some format. I have Toast and Filestream and can export in multiple formats from those.

Export --> Quicktime Conversion. There you can configure the MOV/MP4 file. Make sure you go with H.264 and at LEAST Medium Quality (I'd suggest High). Then configure the audio if you so desire.

Back
Top Bottom