• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Make a fake crossfade in Womble and other valuable info

Captain Khajiit said:
Cool! I'll have to try pgcdemux some time.

PGCdemux is a great tool that every editor should have installed on their system. I can't count how many times I use it.

I do know that this is off topic as far as the thread heading goes, but we've discussed other things already, so ...

I have a project that is nearly finished. I've burned it twice to try to sort out compatibility problems with fussier DVD players. My Pioneer will play it without problems, but it seems to play just about anything anyway, and temperamental players like a Sony my dad owns and a TEAC my friend owns often find a problem with it no matter what I do.

I make sure that the following options are ticked.

1 Gop size compliance for DVD recording
2 Use CRC protection
3 Re-encode the whole audio if any part needs fixing

I ran the mpg file I made at the start through the GOP fixer too.

Is there anything else I can do? I'm trying to do everything possible to ensure that this will work on any player, for obvious reasons, but perhaps that's an unrealistic goal. The two players I mentioned sometimes have problems with official DVDs anyway, so it's not just my discs. How far do other people go to ensure compatiblity?

The only other thing I can think of doing is closing the GOPs, but I've read that this is unnecessary and I don't trust Womble's filter to do it: it turns the whole video bar red meaning it will re-encode the whole video, and I'm trying to get the same picture quality as I put in. Is there a way I can close the gops without losing quality?

Captain Khajiit said:
How far do other people go to ensure compatiblity?

Just make sure it plays on your DVD player. You can't control the quality of other people's players.

Captain Khajiit said:
I do know that this is off topic as far as the thread heading goes, but we've discussed other things already, so ...

I have a project that is nearly finished. I've burned it twice to try to sort out compatibility problems with fussier DVD players. My Pioneer will play it without problems, but it seems to play just about anything anyway, and temperamental players like a Sony my dad owns and a TEAC my friend owns often find a problem with it no matter what I do.

I make sure that the following options are ticked.

1 Gop size compliance for DVD recording
2 Use CRC protection
3 Re-encode the whole audio if any part needs fixing

I ran the mpg file I made at the start through the GOP fixer too.

Is there anything else I can do? I'm trying to do everything possible to ensure that this will work on any player, for obvious reasons, but perhaps that's an unrealistic goal. The two players I mentioned sometimes have problems with official DVDs anyway, so it's not just my discs. How far do other people go to ensure compatiblity?

The only other thing I can think of doing is closing the GOPs, but I've read that this is unnecessary and I don't trust Womble's filter to do it: it turns the whole video bar red meaning it will re-encode the whole video, and I'm trying to get the same picture quality as I put in. Is there a way I can close the gops without losing quality?

are you using womble to create your dvd or are you using it to make your clips and having another program author it???

Womble's actual dvd author part is sh*t. I never use it and it always has made some kind of screwed up non standard disc from standard material

look into other dvd author apps to input the clips womble creates. If you are using mpeg2 dvd material as your source to begin with you really have no need to make sure it is compliant because it should already be so

Thanks to both of you.

I'm exporting the streams firom Womble, then using DVD Lab Pro, which is supposed to be the best. It always tells me when something is wrong, so I guess it must be the other players. The only thing it always mentions is the open GOPs.

I've googled this and other people say ignore it. It was the last thing I hadn't done.

I've read that closing GOPS entails a small loss of quality, which I was hoping to avoid, but on the other hand it might improve compatibility. I guess it's a toss up. Womble's guide says that many DVD players ignore the other aspects of the DVD standard, such as GOP size and CCE, but it seems older and fussier players don't.

I do wonder about the quality of Womble's filter though. Cheers!

it does not matter if it is open or closed Gop. It seems more like you

either have

A: fussy players
B they do not like the type of media you are burning the disc onto

If you ever watch CCE do some shrink/encodes it has an auto gop and it includes both open and closed for a stream.

Really it does not matter and is not the cause of your problem

Sorry, guys, I'm going to need your help again. I'm working with two ac3 5.1 tracks from different versions of the same movie in Womble. I think the volume level of one track needs adjusting (lowering) a little.

I know there's a volume control and a normalisation option for Womble. Have people had much success using these? If I adjust the volume of a track I guess I just use the master option for decibels in audio -> volume control. Will Womble output the file okay, if it sounds okay with headphones?

I actually don't really understand what normalisation is. Would this option help?

Thanks for any advice. I'm sure other people have come across this problem before.

I've used Womble's volume control quite a bit, and haven't encountered any problems with it. As for normalisation, I haven't used that, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. The volume control should do what you need without any issues, though.

tranzor said:
Womble has a cross fade option for audio only if you use special effects. I kind of figured an easy way to get a cross fade without it (damn program should offer that as a regular option)

It is hard to explain this to Womble's support staff, as they do not see it as a problem. After a number of attempts to explain this problem, I received this e-mail today.

Hello ****,

Thanks for the explanation.

I will recommend your suggestion as a high priority modification/addition
for the editor.

I will inform you when this becomes available.

Best regards,

I only hope that this is followed through. Having the kind of crossfade you get with effects as a regular option would be a great improvement. Its absence is the greatest deficiency Womble has, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom