• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Mac newbie help!

herobreakers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi!
So I'm thinking of buying an iMac and just have some questions!
How does everyone get their clips to edit with? I normally use DVD shrink, would this work on an iMac?
Obviously iMacs don't come with a CD drive so can anyone recommend a good external CD drive to buy?
I currently use Sony Vegas to edit my videos, could I use this on an iMac?

Thank you!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
welcome, breaker of heroes.

mac user here. no, you can't use sony vegas directly on a mac, unless your mac emulates windows. never tried that myself, but i suspect the cost of setting that up with software purchases would be greater than that of purchasing final cut pro x for $299. plus, your editing ability will probably suffer from the inefficiency of having a video program run atop two different operating systems.

there are plenty of USB blu-ray players available for less than $100. i use a samsung, and it hasn't given me any troubles over two years.

pavtube allows you to rip blu-ray sources to multiple pro-res formats. there are multiple pavtube products; they go on sale a few times a year, so you can grab a copy at a steep discount if you're patient.

hope this helps.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You could sell your Mac and get a better or comparable Windows system with a really nice NLE and still have money left over to buy a good monitor? Joking of course......or am I? :p

Great ideas there ssj. I've not had much success with pavtube. Perhaps it's more for Mac.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
unless your mac emulates windows. never tried that myself, but i suspect the cost of setting that up with software purchases would be greater than that of purchasing final cut pro x for $299. 

Actually there is an open source Virtual Machine program called VirtualBox. And Microsoft offers free "trial" versions of Windows for VirtualBox, meant to be used for web development (what I use it for) but they are genuine copies of Windows and they are officially available, no pirating, stealing, shady stuff, or cost at all. https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

plus, your editing ability will probably suffer from the inefficiency of having a video program run atop two different operating systems.
This is the real problem. The load on the physical machine will be greater running a VM.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
herobreakers said:
Hi!
So I'm thinking of buying an iMac and just have some questions!
How does everyone get their clips to edit with? I normally use DVD shrink, would this work on an iMac?
Obviously iMacs don't come with a CD drive so can anyone recommend a good external CD drive to buy?
I currently use Sony Vegas to edit my videos, could I use this on an iMac?

Thank you!

I have been a MAC user for easily over 20 years (yes, I drank the cool aid lol) but I would not recommend buying one now.   
APPLE has completely lost me as a supporter.   They have become the very thing they used to rail against.

iMACs are too glitchy now and the new Final Cut Pro X is vastly inferior to the older Final Cut Suites which the new OS do not support.

I would recommend staying away from iMAC and go with a something less expensive or at least with an OS which can support multiple/different software from competing providers.   Currently, both my wife and daughter have switched to ASUS and I have been incredibly impressed with its capabilities and efficiency.  :)

marthawatson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks to everybody for all responses because I just want to buy iMac. They have helped me to make my decision! Better I will by ASUS...

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Lenovo > ASUS

Disagree. I don't trust Lenovo ever since they were busted installing spyware on their systems as well as software that allowed them to take control of the webcam. No thanks.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
Lenovo > ASUS

Disagree. I don't trust Lenovo ever since they were busted installing spyware on their systems as well as software that allowed them to take control of the webcam. No thanks.

Well that stinks....

Top Bottom