• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

MAC DVD Burning Tips

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DVD Burning Tips For Mac

iDVD Burning Tips

Burning a DVD directly from iDVD is not a good idea. For some reason burning a DVD this way generally causes glitches and errors. Never, in my experience, has a DVD but faultless using the iDVD burn feature, which also takes a very long time.

A much better option, as shown in the screenshot below, is to "Save as Disc Image...."

DVDTips1.jpg

This creates a perfect digital DVD file as an img, which can then be opened and the VIDEO_TS dragged to any folder. Windows has issues with img files, so it is better to just pass on VIDEO_TS folder.

Burn your DVD in Disc Utility (see screenshot below) by dragging img file in the side bar, then highlight it with one click and press Burn. This way is much faster and more reliable than burning a DVD in iDVD.

imgTip.jpg

With Toast 9 Titanium, select the tab VIDEO_TS Folders and drag your VIDEO_TS folder into the window (as shown in the screenshot below) and press burn (the big red button in the bottom right of the software window). This way of burning a DVD can be more reliable than the above method.

ToastTip.jpg

DVD Studio Pro, which comes as part of Final Cut Studio (and not sold separately) is the best option for creating that perfect DVD. You can use Compressor 3, which is part of the Final Cut Studio package, to convert the audio of your DVD from PCM to Ac-3 and so increase the bit-rate of the video image quality.

Then the process is much the same, save your final DVD using "Save as Disc Image...." and so create an img of your FanEdit, which can be opened and the VIDEO_TS file dragged anywhere you want.

JMB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent advice Mollo. I have done that very thing with iDVD, for my Batman short. And using Compressor to shrink the audio is a great suggestion.

Do you ever get the feeling we are posting this information for just you and I? :)

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have been contacted by a few Mac users via PM that have had some Mac issues with FanEditing, so I hope with these Guides, kept simple and easy to understand, some questions can be resolved.

Of course the real agenda idea is to convert all FanEditors on Fanedit.org to Mac! ;)

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's too late, I've already installed Mac OS X on your PC

Or have you not noticed yet :p