• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

.m2ts to ???? for adobe cs4 or FCP

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i am trying to figure out the best format to edit with in either adobe or CS4. when i convert some scenes from my blurays i get some that are in 29.970 & some in 29.976(such as the main movie). so i am trying to figure out a format to which the format works for both smoothly with no glitches or drags, audio sync, and other problems.

so from a man who knows it best, if you took your files from a bluray (.m2ts) and were making a FanEdit, which format would you convert to so everything flows together the way it should. i have all the software & programs i need to do the tasks, i just need the help. or would i be better off using a dvd instead of a bluray, because i do not own the dvd just the bluray. please help me out here, if you were in my shoes what would you do from beginning to end including software & programs. if it isn't too much trouble. thank you for your help greatly!!!!!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I assume you're on a Mac. Neither program will natively edit M2TS files as this is a delivery format, not an editing one. I have yet to find an effective method of converting M2TS files on Mac, so I use Windows for that.

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i have been using Xilisoft HD converter to convert .m2ts to HD H.264 AVC, so the files will be converted before i even start my project in either program. will this work? and yes i am a  user. iMac 24" 2.86Ghz Intel Duo Core 2 Duo, 1TB internal HDD, & 4GB RAM

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since you're on a Mac, and if you use FCP, you'll have to convert your footage to ProRes. Expect this to take some serious time though; a feature film can take upwards of 48 hours. Now, if you have an H.264 MP4 file then you might be able to get that working in Premiere. But the image will fluctuate while editing because MP4 is another delivery compression, not editing.

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
would it just be easier to do my edit by dvd instead of bluray? i was just using bluray because i own the BD not the DVD, but my buddy has both for sale for $10, if i go snag them up can you give me better advice using DVD instead of Bluray for Adobe CS4 & FCP. i prefer Adobe CS4, but thats me. so would i still get my same deleted scenes from the dvd as i would from the blurays? i am sure there is a way to get them to fit a dvd format from a bluray somehow. you think im on the right path here using dvd instead?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DVD would definitely be easier and quicker, but I also like to encourage people to edit and release in HD if at all possible. I'd suggest doing some experiments. You could be a pioneer and pave the way for HD editing for other Mac users.

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i would love to show others the way of editing in HD with m2ts files on mac using adobe cs3/4/5 or FCP, but i would like to complete a edit i have task at hand for sometime now. and i feel its time to finally do it. i may need your help if thats cool Thunderclap? im going to get those dvds tomorrow so expect to hear from me if you dont mind. what resolution should i expect coming from DVD? 720 x 480? im going for widescreen on my project, and when the 2 films with the deleted scenes and everything are added in, i would like to add it to a bluray to burn myself a copy if possible. what do you think of all this????

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are several Mac editors here, all of which I'm sure are willing to help. I don't do much editing on Mac these days for fanedits these days so others might be a better resource. I'll weigh in when I can though.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you go the DVD source route, I can give advise/assistance on the FCP side of things.

Top Bottom