• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Lovecraft Actually

jobwillins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey folks,

I just finished my latest edit, Lovecraft Actually.

Synopsis:An ensemble cast struggles with an ancient, creeping terror in overlapping narratives.
Featuring material from In The Mouth of Madness, Deep Rising, The Mist, and the music of The Beach Boys.
The perfect holiday movie to end 2020!

Trailer:

Happy New Year!

~J

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw something about this on your website a couple weeks ago while looking for something else, I assumed it was going to be a short joke video and not feature length, but now I'm super intrigued.

jobfaust

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oooooohhh... I am already in love and I only heard about it two minutes ago....

gddgb

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished watching, and this may be my favorite fanedit of all time!  I can't express how impressed I was with this edit.  Absolutely perfect in every way.  1 mediocre movie and 2 crappy ones (in my opinion) were turned into one of the most fun experiences I've had watching a movie in years! 

You are a genius for thinking to bring these 3 movies together, and for your use of the Beach Boys. 
Thank you, sir.

jobwillins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the kind words, @"gddgb" !
That means a lot to me!

~J

gddgb said:
I just finished watching, and this may be my favorite fanedit of all time!  I can't express how impressed I was with this edit.  Absolutely perfect in every way.  1 mediocre movie and 2 crappy ones (in my opinion) were turned into one of the most fun experiences I've had watching a movie in years! 

You are a genius for thinking to bring these 3 movies together, and for your use of the Beach Boys. 
Thank you, sir.

pooberville

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got finished watching this - absolutely fantastic. That cut you do near the beginning where you connect the two scenes with the thunder and rain? Smooth as butter.

jackparsons

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is lovely work. There are a lot of nice flowing cuts, and a startling lyrical montage in the middle.

The core problem is that "The Mist" and "Deep Rising" have the same plot structure:
Act 1: Characters go to Bad Place
Act 2: Bad Stuff happens in Bad Place
Act 3: More Bad Stuff happens then people leave Bad Place

However, "In The Mouth Of Madness" has a different plot structure:
Act 1: Characters hit the road
Act 2: Characters travel to Bad Place and settle in
Act 3: Characters explore Bad Place, Bad Stuff happens in Bad Place, people leave Bad Place

In the first two, the different sections of "Bad Place" can be traversed in any order, which gives JW a lot of freedom to create a compelling set of juxtapositions. In "ITMOM", the different places have much stronger geographical continuity, and cuts don't work as well when they break the "characters are here and go there" flow of the original.

All three movies are clipped to maybe 45-50 minutes, and may have entire characters or subplots missing in the edit. I have not seen The Mist or Deep Rising, and they seem perfectly fine as big-budget 45-minute TV movies. I suspect I would be bored by most of the remaining "people do things in Bad Place" action in these flicks. "In The Mouth Of Madness" is the odd one out here, and it shows. I've seen it recently, and it is not improved by the drastic snipping which improved the other two movies. It needed a little tightening, but not this much.

About the use of the Beach Boys: I really liked JW's placements. Frankly, replacing Carpenter's cheesy synths with the Beach Boys would improve most of his lesser work.

Mr. WIllins can really cut!

Last edited:

vhsrip

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, this immediately is so exciting! I can't wait to watch o_O :geek:

vhsrip

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hahah no worries, I appreciate the thought you've put into it and it seems like a valid critique. But nothing can quench my lust for whacked out movies or anything scored by The Beach Boys.

Dantango

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was really fun, It took me a while to get into it "The Mist" in particular being shot in a different decade (and century) to the other two segments stood out at first, but once it got going they all combined really well.
To anyone wondering, like me, what all the films have in common it's tentacles.
My only complaint is that the continuity is all over the place when they enter the church in The Mouth of Madness, sunny day, lightning, dark sky, but being only reaction shot they aren't on screen long enough to really take you out of the experience.

Top Bottom