• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

LOTR: The Battle of Dol Guldur by Funny Puzzle

Funny Puzzle

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit Film Name
LOTR: The Battle of Dol Guldur
Original Film Name
The Hobbit (trilogy)
Fanedit Running Time
43:30
Brief Synopsis
This is the adventure of Gandalf the Grey. Fear strikes the great wizard as he realizes that evil may be on the rise after hundreds of years of peace. With rumors of a necromancer and increasing darkness at Mirkwood Forest, Gandalf attempts to seek help from Saruman the White. Turned down, he ventures off on his own to meet with Radagast the Brown and investigate the darkness of Dol Guldur.
All footage is taken from The Hobbit trilogy. Unlike my 3-Hour Hobbit edit (kotaku.com/now-theres-a-three-hour-cut-of-the-hobbit-trilogy-1681224543), which removes this plot entirely, this cut does precisely the opposite: it is a 100% Hobbit-free version of the Hobbit, it exclusively tells the story of Gandalf and his adventures that take place during Bilbo and Thorin's journey to The Lonely Mountain.

Change List
watch here:

This is a standalone piece separate from The Hobbit films that the footage comes from. I've removed all mention of the Company and their journey to the Lonely Mountain, I've centered the first half of the film around the council at Rivendell, using flashbacks from Beorn (Desolation of Smaug) and Radagast (Unexpected Journey), as well as re-ordering/restructuring the whole conversation for better flow and to allow for the flashbacks. The second half of the film is more or less the few battles scenes at Dol Guldur edited together, along with a reduced flashback from Thrain and an added flashback that Gandalf has after being caged by the orcs. The film ends with Sarumon saying "Leave Sauron to me!" as a menacing prelude to the LOTR films that follow.

Thanks for watching!

I've previewed this excellent Hobbit short and it's approved. Here are some thoughts...

- A genius triple-layered flashback structure like this, is a hard thing to pull off well. This is some serious Sergio Leone/Michael Powell level time weaving! Very clever work
- The edits are pretty much invisible
- Excellent touch with the psychic-link with Radagast
- Having a full 10 of the 43.5 minutes taken up by credits seems a tad excessive. I was a bit surprised when the edit ended 3 quarters of the way through. Giving credit is always good but some concise custom credits would have been better for a short like this IMO. But hey it doesn't effect the edit before hand and we can all skip them if we wish.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

This edit really shows off the quality of the material within the Hobbit films. It's every bit as good LOTR, when shaped properly. This is highly reccomended and feels like the appendices brought to life.

I watched this video a couple of weeks ago and it was great!

Well done, you put together those puzzle pieces about as well as they could go together. Now I'm wishing for a 1 hour version that has more traveling around Middle Earth so we can understand the geography as well as LOTR, get some quieter times for pacing and see more of the New Zealand scenery. Too bad faneditors can't do the impossible. :)

[MENTION=31745]Funny Puzzle[/MENTION], congratulations on the approval. I've moved this thread to Special Projects and Shorts for now, but if you'd rather it appear in the Fix/Mix forum, please let me know.

This looks like a good addition for us who like the hobbit to be only about the hobbit!

yoshif8tures said:
This looks like a good addition for us who like the hobbit to be only about the hobbit!
You're joking, right? :)

What I meant was that I like my hobbit movie to be as lean and close to the book as it can and if I want to see the Gandalf scenes, then a separate short film is better.
Hope I'm not creating further misunderstanding! [emoji51]

Just watched this. Really really enjoyed it! Agree totally with YOSHIF8TURES, it would do well to accompany a hobbit purist edit. Did you consider using any of the prologue from LOTR to give some more information on Sauron?

Does WB own MGM now?

After this I am think Peter Jackson made the Hobit movies just for faneditors. lol. I really disliked all these scenes being in the movie, but seeing them on their own instead of threaded into the hobbit, I actually like them much better! It's kind of like watching the movie that was made by the second unit. :)

Back
Top Bottom