• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

LOTR edits that are shorter!?

daedal

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
browsing through IFDB, I can't help wondering if there are potentially a FE of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy that would be shorter? I feel like when I'm watching those movies I need them to advance faster! (I know: Heresy right!!). I especially get distracted when we are following Sam and Frodo. Do you know of an edit that would suit me?

Fellowship is perfection. I can maybe understand some trimming to the two towers. Return of the king is a mega slog though, especially that final act. I'd like to do an edit of that one someday and you can bet your ass it would be shorter.

In terms of current ones in existence, I don't know of any specifically made to be shorter... Though one presumes some are probably shorter regardless by the simple nature of having stuff cut.

There is a LOTR miniseries edit in the works I think. That would at the very least put the film's into smaller chunks.

if there are potentially a FE of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy that would be shorter?

Well, I guess, all of them?

Well, I guess, all of them?
well yes, but I mean much shorter!
There is a LOTR miniseries edit in the works I think. That would at the very least put the film's into smaller chunks.
I will keep an eye open for that one I'm guessing you're talking about @almightycutie's edit?

@tremault 's project seems interesting as well, although it's been a long time since their last post about it...

I also noticed samspider3's entry on IFDB that seems to be doing the opposite of what I'm looking for, but an interesting take on the story nonetheless

To be honest I also skipped through some pages of the books when I read them, and only read them once. I never felt like all those details were necessary to the story. I think the movies also have those lingering, sometimes boring passages. Don't get me wrong, I like LOTR and its epic tale, the production value, the music's quality and the wonderful sets and costumes. it's a very good fantasy story. It's just too long!

I feel like it's one case where the movies could have taken more liberties with the source material (heresy again! I know) but I can't be the only one who thinks that. Right?

I've made 3h40m edit of the whole LOTR trilogy once, and then my hard drive crashed before I've made a backup copy...

I've made 3h40m edit of the whole LOTR trilogy once, and then my hard drive crashed before I've made a backup copy...
that is frustrating. And a 3h40 cut of the trilogy would have been interesting to watch, so 2-times the frustration then!
What were you removing from the original cut?

Last edited:
We need edits of LOTR and The Hobbit that cut them down to the length of their animated counterparts! Someone was working on something like this, but I can't remember who.

@tremault 's project seems interesting as well, although it's been a long time since their last post about it...
Thanks for the shout-out @Dwight Fry :)
Yes this is still a project I have in my to do list. It's nice to see that more people are interested in this kind of edit, so that does actually push it higher up the list. :)

@spence's Hobbit edit is just over three hours, I believe. That's one of the more famous 3 in 1 short edits. It's also arguably, the best.

Imo, the simplest solution is to split them into more movies or a miniseries. That way you don't have to worry about cutting stuff out.

Imo, the simplest solution is to split them into more movies or a miniseries. That way you don't have to worry about cutting stuff out.
it maybe too simple ;) and imo, there is a lot of stuff that could be cut out! I already skip ahead of some scenes when I watch the original.
As a weird twist of fate, I received the extended editions this week, which I have never seen. I guess the next time a watch LOTR it will be even longer...

I have yet to see the Extended Editions either. They're still sitting on my shelf, sealed in the original shrink-wrap.

I saw the movies before reading the books and I think the theatrical cuts are mostly superior versions to the EE for people without book knowledge. Once you’ve read the books or even if you just loved the movies and want more, the EEs are essential IMO.

If I were going to make a shorter cut of the theatrical editions of these movies the first thing I’d do is end the whole thing at “my friends you bow to no one.” I think Jackson was mostly judicious with his theatrical cuts but the multiple endings should’ve been left for the EEs.

There are book accurate cuts, but honestly they don't really improve the quality. The film's pacing is pretty much spot on most of the time. If you watch the extended edition they cut all the movies basically in half so you can stop halfway through each film.

Back
Top Bottom