• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Lost Super Mario Bros footage has been found

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fine, at the very least let's hope there are some good new Dennis Hopper scenes that can be edited into Blue Velvet.

moviefan95

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I rented the movie once when I was younger. I had never heard of it before then, and I had no idea it had flopped so badly. I expected an adaptation of the video game. What I got instead was absolutely horrifying. I never watched it again.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After sporadic update videos showing off the remastering of the deleted scenes, they have now released their extended cut of the movie. I don't have all the details, I just saw the post about it on Reddit real quick. I won't link it because it includes a download link, but it shouldn't be hard to find, not that anyone besides me actually cares.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's great news :)
That movie is better "adaptation" than I could ever expect from that kind of game.

Last edited:

Hamiltron

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not even a good bad movie.
But I won't deny that cut content from it intrigues me.
A longer cut tho? Ehhhh not as much.

Elby

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was never bad it was just -different- but people seem to forget at thew time all they had to work with was just the NES Mario... that is not a ton of story to work off of, so they made up their own thing and ran with it. (Unsure if there was any Japanese early lore but even that had to be in it's infancy)

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some would say they ran with it and didn’t look to see where they were going.

There was that Mario Bros anime movie that could’ve been tapped into.

Edit: Here it is!

Last edited:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The movie came out in 93, filmed in the late spring to summer of 92. They had the first six games including SNES and Game Boy (but not including like Donkey Kong arcade games), the anime that was mentioned, the Mario Bros Super Show.

I don't think the movie is unwatchable, but I do think most positivity you can garner for it is based either in nostalgia or appreciating the risk taken with the changes in the story. It's worth looking into the behind the scenes story, apparently the husband+wife director duo were the equivalent of a train wreck.

I just can't believe there are glimmers of things in there, like a photorealistic animatronic dinosaur as Yoshi, or Toad being turned into a Goomba (even though it's human-looking Toad being turned into reptile-man Goomba), like that's a cool Mario idea, mushroom kingdom people being turned into goombas. Some of those things in the right hands, could have been amazing, artful even. The cars are all electric, presumably because the dinosaurs remaining dominant results in limited quantity of fossil fuels. Little things. Can't hate the movie even if it's not technically good. It's too weird and interesting.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am not a fan of the movie - been playing the games since I was tiny and paid to see it at the cinema on release, and even That One Kid knew that it was, at best, a confused mess of a movie.

My GF, however, likes it. So we stuck on this extended VHS the other day. She thought it was interesting to see the extra stuff but it was right to cut it from the original film.

Me, I'm stunned at how anyone can look at the first few games (Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3, Super Mario Land and then Super Mario World) and conclude from them that what the film needs is:
a) to be set on Earth initially,
b) to have a cod science explanation for all of the creatures who show up,
c) to have Koopa as human,
d) to have some clunky political nonsense crowbarred in with Koopa, and
e) to have the game worlds actually a dystopian sci-fi future a la Blade Runner or Johnny Mnemonic.

Like, it's not so much that it's a bad film (although it is undoubtedly a bad film IMO), so much as I am baffled at what possible combination of exotic intoxicants would be required for someone to look at the games and come up with that list as the most obvious route for an adaptation. Particularly since Robert De Niro's cameo in Brazil already gives a perfect example of how to take a premise like the Mario games and make a film around it.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dennis Hopper Koopa is the greatest thing ever.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Like, it's not so much that it's a bad film (although it is undoubtedly a bad film IMO), so much as I am baffled at what possible combination of exotic intoxicants would be required for someone to look at the games and come up with that list as the most obvious route for an adaptation. Particularly since Robert De Niro's cameo in Brazil already gives a perfect example of how to take a premise like the Mario games and make a film around it.
I agree 100%. Every single choice they made was baffling.

Top Bottom