• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Lost Redux

T-HOPE said:
[spoiler:w9vpav07]My biggest complaint is the question why would we ever be afraid of the MIB leaving the island, if he leaves it in human form and can easily be killed. Perhaps his way of leaving the island would have been different if he manages to kill all candidates, but since he gave up on that and just wanted to leave via destroying the island... weak.[/spoiler:w9vpav07]

[spoiler:w9vpav07]Jacob believed that if the MiB ever left the island then the world would be destroyed. Is he right? Who knows? And he wasn't easily killed. He was invulnerable until Desmond was able to remove the island's "cork" thus causing the island to self destruct. Who knows if the destruction would have stopped with the island? So I don't think the ending was weak.[/spoiler:w9vpav07]

T-HOPE said:
[spoiler:w9vpav07]The alternate timeline is some kind of afterlife where people can wait for they loved ones. Probably that's why Ben didn't go inside the church because he was still waiting for his loved ones (makes me wonder who because Alex and Rousseau was already dead).[/spoiler:w9vpav07]

[spoiler:w9vpav07]I don't think that's the case at all. Penny was there and she didn't die on the island or during the regular timeline. Hurley was there, and who knows how long he was protecting the island? This sideways timeline spans all time.

I think it's more likely that Ben was still punishing himself for his actions. Go back and listen to his conversation with Locke. It seems he hasn't forgiven himself and that's why he won't go into the church. He's punishing himself and refuses his ultimate ending until he can live with his actions.[/spoiler:w9vpav07]

T-HOPE said:
[spoiler:w9vpav07]However, why didn't they wait for all the people to die and then leave together to heaven or whatever? It's still a weird way of trying to put people on the wrong track in the beginning of the season and the ending it in a lame way.[/spoiler:w9vpav07]

[spoiler:w9vpav07]Why did they have to wait for everyone? These were the people that had the biggest impact on each other. Sayid and Shannon. Hurley and Libby. Jack and Kate. All these people were lost in their own way and found who or what they were looking for in life.[/spoiler:w9vpav07]

T-HOPE said:
[spoiler:w9vpav07]And still no explanation what the Christian Shephard off the island was. I mean, the Island timeline was real life (not the afterlife thingie) and he appeared off the island in that timeline.[/spoiler:w9vpav07]

[spoiler:w9vpav07]I don't remember him appearing dead in the island timeline anywhere off the island. He was always alive if I remember correctly.[/spoiler:w9vpav07]

thunderclap said:
T-HOPE said:
[spoiler:24hy6ncz]The alternate timeline is some kind of afterlife where people can wait for they loved ones. Probably that's why Ben didn't go inside the church because he was still waiting for his loved ones (makes me wonder who because Alex and Rousseau was already dead).[/spoiler:24hy6ncz]

[spoiler:24hy6ncz]I don't think that's the case at all. Penny was there and she didn't die on the island or during the regular timeline. Hurley was there, and who knows how long he was protecting the island? This sideways timeline spans all time.[/spoiler:24hy6ncz]

[spoiler:24hy6ncz]I'm only saying that the flash sideways was some kind of purgatory where they were waiting for each other. People who died off the island could even be there.[/spoiler:24hy6ncz]

thunderclap said:
T-HOPE said:
[spoiler:24hy6ncz]However, why didn't they wait for all the people to die and then leave together to heaven or whatever? It's still a weird way of trying to put people on the wrong track in the beginning of the season and the ending it in a lame way.[/spoiler:24hy6ncz]

[spoiler:24hy6ncz]Why did they have to wait for everyone? These were the people that had the biggest impact on each other. Sayid and Shannon. Hurley and Libby. Jack and Kate. All these people were lost in their own way and found who or what they were looking for in life.[/spoiler:24hy6ncz]
[spoiler:24hy6ncz]Why didn't Hurley wait for his parents? Locke for Helen perhaps? etc etc[/spoiler:24hy6ncz]

thunderclap said:
T-HOPE said:
[spoiler:24hy6ncz]And still no explanation what the Christian Shephard off the island was. I mean, the Island timeline was real life (not the afterlife thingie) and he appeared off the island in that timeline.[/spoiler:24hy6ncz]

[spoiler:24hy6ncz]I don't remember him appearing dead in the island timeline anywhere off the island. He was always alive if I remember correctly.[/spoiler:24hy6ncz]
[spoiler:24hy6ncz]He appeared to Michael on the freighter and twice to Jake after he left the Island.[/spoiler:24hy6ncz]

More questions:
[spoiler:24hy6ncz]- Was Hurley really the new protector? I mean Mother and Jacob both wishpered incantations, but Jack didn't. I thought he was fooling Hurley so Hurley would let Jack go on his suicide mission.
- Flash sideway question about Jack's son. Was he just made up? Even Locke commented that Jack did not have a son. If that life is a purgatory, what aws his purpose?[/spoiler:24hy6ncz]

T-HOPE said:
[spoiler:cej70pug]However, why didn't they wait for all the people to die and then leave together to heaven or whatever? It's still a weird way of trying to put people on the wrong track in the beginning of the season and the ending it in a lame way.[/spoiler:cej70pug]

[spoiler:cej70pug]Why didn't Hurley wait for his parents? Locke for Helen perhaps? etc etc[/spoiler:cej70pug]

[spoiler:cej70pug]The entire series was about finding oneself and love. While I'm sure Hurley loved his parents it was a different love then the love two people share when they marry. Helen left Locke so there was no mutual love there.[/spoiler:cej70pug]

[spoiler:cej70pug]- Was Hurley really the new protector? I mean Mother and Jacob both whispered incantations, but Jack didn't. I thought he was fooling Hurley so Hurley would let Jack go on his suicide mission.
- Flash sideway question about Jack's son. Was he just made up? Even Locke commented that Jack did not have a son. If that life is a purgatory, what aws his purpose?[/spoiler:cej70pug]

[spoiler:cej70pug]Hurley was the new protector because of the conversation outside the church with Ben. He tells Ben, "You were a great number two" to which Ben replies, "You were a great number one." (Not necessarily verbatim.) By this exchange it can be assumed that they worked together to protect the island for who knows how many years.

As to your second question I guess we're just going to have to accept that it's one of the unanswered questions of Lost. Not everything needs an explanation. But perhaps you'll like this explanation better of what the flash sideways is. Perhaps the sideways timeline was that of Jack's creation moments before his death? It is the way he wished their lives had turned out and intersected. (Granted, there are other questions about the flash sideways if we go this route.)[/spoiler:cej70pug]

On a side note must we continue with the spoiler tags? Can't we just state that this thread contains massive spoilers and that if you haven't seen the show you shouldn't read it? It would make things a lot easier to read and write. :)

I liked it too. So much so I woke up today thinking about it.
Of course this wouldn't be faneditforum.com if we didn't have a knit-pick:
[spoiler:1vur09pc]Jack tackles Locke. He straddles him as Locke reaches out and grabs a rock and knocks jack silly.
and then 5 minutes later...
Jack tackles Locke. He straddles him as Locke reaches out and grabs a knife and stabs Jack.
and then...
there's a shot and as Locke falls we reveal Kate!
and then Kate's got a final bon mot "saved you a bullet".
C - H - E - E - S - Y - ! pretty stale fromage. B level action movie stuff. expected better. don't think there's anything similar in the entire series. compare that to when Michael killed Libby and Ana Maria. so original it left me with my mouth open.[/spoiler:1vur09pc]
the things that I liked:
[spoiler:1vur09pc]the reunions. I cried like a woman. especially Sun and Yin and Sawyer and Juliette.
Found Sayid's reunion not as effective. But seeing boon was great.[/spoiler:1vur09pc]
and the unexplained:
[spoiler:1vur09pc]you can give childbirth in the afterlife? or get runover by a car?
Did anybody see Miles or Richard or Lapidus at the final meet 'n greet?
so when TMIB was shoved into the light by jacob, he didn't quite fall right into the light. he had to travel a bit. it actually seemed kinda hard to unconsiously fall into the pool of light. and since Jack ended up in the same pool of light... shouldn't he turn into a smoke creature too?
and another thing. from the outside the river looks like it's coming out of the light, but when you walk in it turns intoa waterfall going in. and then there's another exit were Jack ends up after he corks the island back up again?[/spoiler:1vur09pc]
and the fanedit opportunity:
[spoiler:1vur09pc]Jack: "how are you here?"
Christian: "how are you here?"
Jack: "Because I died."
CUT TO Jack walking into the church as everyone greets him.[/spoiler:1vur09pc]
But overall most satisfying. now get lost.

[spoiler:yizgy4ya]I found it emotionally touching.. the reunions and such.. especially Sawyer and Juliet.[/spoiler:yizgy4ya]
And yeah, I got a bit teary too.
I don't find it difficult to leave things unexplained, but this explanation of it all being about Jacob vs MIB makes the entire series fundamentally flawed.

Basically, if the Others were doing Jacob's bidding the whole time (Richard, Ben, etc..) then why were they THE bad guys for so many seasons?
Shouldn't they have been helping the Candidates the whole time?

Oh I did come across an acceptable explanation for Juliet's
[spoiler:yizgy4ya]"It worked" comment when she was dying[/spoiler:yizgy4ya]
She had just experienced the [spoiler:yizgy4ya]candy machine scene. "It worked" was in regards to getting the candy out of the vending machine and also explains her comment about getting coffee just before she died.[/spoiler:yizgy4ya]

/now waiting for JasonN's rant...

wow

[spoiler:28gu6fsp]what a piece of sh1t[/spoiler:28gu6fsp]

LOL!

I liked it. Go figure. :)

[spoiler:16q7zmv0]I found the new Hugo/Ben team strangely touching too. I want a spinoff show. (Okay, not really.)[/spoiler:16q7zmv0]

but seriously guys:

[spoiler:26c0tpld]I'm betting right now that if we had come across the finale's description that the sideways were heaven/purgatory stuff and that they would meet each other through love in a church where they would hug their loved ones and christian would come and light would come in and illuminte everything - we would have laughed out loud about the big fanboy happy ending and told everyone who believed that this was the ending that lost wouldn't give us a twilight kitsch ending[/spoiler:26c0tpld]

I liked the ending. Tried to not nitpick it, and I fully accepted it as such.

Oh, and [spoiler:9f4rq5ux]Spoiler boxes are funny.[/spoiler:9f4rq5ux]

Here's a great article...

LOST'S BIG GNOSTIC WET FART ENDING

It's difficult to disagree with what this guy says...

For such an epic show, it deserved an epic ending... not one that says that "all those events over the years had meant nothing."

zeppelinrox said:

For such an epic show, it deserved an epic ending... not one that says that "all those events over the years had meant nothing."

I didn't read the whole thing since it was so long, but I read about half, and I'm not sure I saw one thing that I agreed with. The writer made it pretty obvious he didn't understand what the show was about.

zeppelinrox said:
God zep, it's like our souls wavelength are connected by the Red String of Fate or something. :p

For starters, I really wanted to shoot everyone at ABC for that damn 2 hour clip show: just give me the damn finale, dudes, I don't need to see a recap of a series that I've watched every episode to!
That and I really, REALLY can't stand watching Dalton and Cuse at this point - they are so damn smug and self-serving with their witty-clever heads so far stuck up their asses and every other word out of their mouths are either compliments for themselves or explaining in detail exactly what I'm watching on screen as if I was one of those blind deaf mutes (should sic the Laughing Man on their butts). :roll:

First the good:
[spoiler:1tr9d2bz]- everything involving Hurley in the finale made me smile: I loved his confidence and charisma in the Sideways world and his methods of handling both Sayid (his speech about believing that he was a good person, taking him the Shannon) and Charlie (shooting him with the tranq gun and chucking him over his shoulders got the biggest laugh from me in the entire Season); I knew that he'd receive the guardianship in the end, but it was still a satisfying moment; and his recruiting Ben as his "Second" and their final talk at the end of the Sideways world was one of the best moments in Season 6 for me.
(and I'm definitely super curious as to what their future history as Island protectors was like)

- Damn glad that Frank Lapidius turned out to be alive.

- Even though it was the afterlife, I was glad to see Charlie again and especially John Locke, the REAL John Locke, whom I've missed watching for the last 2 Seasons (and I enjoyed his last talk with Ben and forgiving him at the end).

- even though I've generally hated the character of Jack throughout most of the series, his final sacrifice to reseal the Light and his death out in the bamboo fields with Vincent at this side and closing his eye to the world was very touching and was a much better end note to the story than the cast fading into white light in the Sideways reality.[/spoiler:1tr9d2bz]

And now the rant:
[spoiler:1tr9d2bz]- Well, the alterative universe of the Sideways world was every much the damn "cast reunion" as I feared it would be, but it also turned out to be much worse. I say that because, in the end, the Sideways universe had a single message that seriously pissed me the hell off: Nothing that occurred really mattered after all, because in the end everyone got to meet again in the afterlife. Every Sideways flash throughout this entire Season has proven to have nothing to do with the Island, the Jacob/MIB war, the Source of Light, the Candidates, or anything that was brought up in the current or previous seasons, etc.... it's all about a group of dead friends meeting together in a type of "Purgatory"-type afterlife and moving on to the next existence (heaven, nirvana, take your pick). It also makes the entire "time travel" and "H-Bomb" subplots of the previous Season 5 entirely pointless and a waste of time (unless the Sideways world was in fact the bomb's creation, as the rumor mill has been circulating in the last few days, and that the Purgatory-type story was in fact rewritten only a few episodes before the finale).

Yes, it's an emotional and "happily ever after" ending that's uplifting and moving for the characters... But at the same time it rings so hollow and phony and false, because of how much of the plot that proceed it from the beginning of the story was discarded and rendered immaterial.

(And I literally dropped my jaw later at the end credits when I remember Desmond's "None of this matters" speech to Jack, as if the writers are directly acknowledging that none of this entire plot matters in the end due to the Sideways afterlife universe)

- Still no explanation at all on Eloise Hawking and her "Time Cop" dealings with Desmond. Sighs, that a bitter pill to swallow....

- Jack to Kate: "The Island's all I got left"
Yep, still a complete d*ck. I can see why Jacob liked him.

- Why oh why did they feel the need to bring back Rose and Bernard? I thought they had a decent enough sendoff last Season, did they really need to be brought back into the current timeline? (especially since they really don't give a sh*t about anyone else anymore and want nothing to do with the other Lostees)

- God, can Kate get Claire out of her head for five damn minutes?
"Miles, is that Claire?" "Miles, what's happen to Claire?" "Claire, is she all right?"

- So Jack really had no big secret plan on saving the Island... absolutely jack nothing. He was making up sh*t as he went along thinking he was completely and totally right (as usual) and it ended up biting him on the ass as he was proven wrong (as usual).

- So the Cork wasn't a figurative metaphor from Jacob to Richard, the Light is really kept at bay with a stone cork. Uh huh...

- So let me get this straight: Nadia, the love of Sayid's life, was not his "soul connection" in the Sideways world, but was in fact Shannon, a pathetic, shallow girl who had a brief fling with him after Boon died and hasn't factored into this entire show in the last 4 seasons???

- Knew that Juliet would be Jack's ex-wife, but.... Who or what is their son, David? Is he a former soul? Is he a construct designed solely for this alternative universe?

- Kate should just change her occupation to midwife and be done with it

- Jack "Did the Jump Punch".
So what... now he's Jason Borne or something?

- God, did MIB go out like a pansy-ass punk... anyone who actually can get shot shot by f*cking Kate of all people deserves to die, but then add in a couple of movie-like one-liners and then kicked off a cliff by a wounded Jack? Lame as all hell.
(and I really wanted to see the Smoke Monster one more time)

- Did I mention that I wanted to see the Smoke Monster again in the finale?

- Ok, did the editors just FORGET that Ben was trapped under an unmovable tree or what? I mean, I didn't blink for five minutes and end up missing an entire scene, did I?

- Am I the only one who no longer believes Jacob about the fate of the world in the event of MIB being freed or the Light going out in the heart of the Island? I can see how destroying the Light would destroy the Island, but the whole world? And just how would MIB be capable of destroying the world? Evidently, his supposed "tainting" of people as claimed by Dogen and Jacob proved to be total BS, plus even if he destroyed the Island's Light how could he do anything to the rest of the world since apparently destroying the Light makes him mortal and unSmoked.

- Ummm... what the hell ever happened to Mother's warning of not touching the Light, as it's "A fate worse than death"? The last time someone touched the Source, the MIB transformed into the Smoke Monster. But Desmond touched the Light and nothing happened (though that's part of Desmond's electromagnetism specialness coming into play) and then Jack touched the Light and he died normally in the forest.

- Maybe the writers were trying to be clever with the church windows using symbols of various major religions, but to me, it came off as pretentious and misguided as the religious symbols and icons in the two Matrix sequels.

- Do you remember how everyone complained about how cliched and uninspired the little girl making a technicolored rainbow at the end of Matrix Revolutions?
That's exactly how I feel with everyone sitting in a church and fading into white light as the end of Lost[/spoiler:1tr9d2bz]

Overall, it was an OK ending to Season 6, but as the finale episode to the entire Lost series?
... No, no damn way. :|

Kevinicus said:
zeppelinrox said:

I didn't read the whole thing since it was so long, but I read about half, and I'm not sure I saw one thing that I agreed with. The writer made it pretty obvious he didn't understand what the show was about.
LOL WUT?
I think that you couldn't understand what he was talking about so you gave up half way through.. here are the last 3 paragraphs:

To spend six years with these characters, in these increasingly bizarre scenarios, going through pain with them, examining the most basic aspects of good and evil... just to suddenly say 'What really matters is that they were important to one another' is whiplash inducing. Over six years the show kept widening the canvas, pulling back to show us more of the picture. Then at the last moment it slams to the most simplistic, trite place it could end up. The better ending would have been pulling back on the canvas to show that it was all fractal - 'As above, so below' - that the larger picture was the smaller picture. Instead the show dumped this for an easy, lazily metaphysical ending.

Let's put it this way: any ending for a show like Lost that feels like it could more or less be used to end any other TV show in history is probably an oversimplified ending. The sappy afterlife stuff is an epilogue, not an ending, and it's an epilogue we didn't need. We didn't need to know what happens to the characters after they die, and finding out adds nothing to them or their stories.

Lost created a Gordian knot of ethical, moral, and philosophical questions and then cut through it with gooey sentimentality and maudlin faux-spirituality. There could have been no more disappointing ending.

Nice rant, JasonN ;)

Since you mention the Matrix, It rememinded me of another tidbit from the Wet Fart article:

Lost was six seasons leading us to the end of the first act of The Matrix, a movie that traded in much of the same references and religions.

Let's look at it this way. Was season 6 without the sideways an apt ending to the series?. [spoiler:3kdr69mg]i would have to say yes.
It answered questions. there was a showdown and a final flight off the island and a coda for the future with ben and hugo, ending with a heroic, poetic death, worthy of a viking.
was the sideways nesessary? sorta. we couldn't flash forward or back. i just wish they had been a little straighter and not lead us into believing something that was never meant to happen. that the island and the sideways would meet or could affect each other.[/spoiler:3kdr69mg]
and can we stop using spoiler code? anybody second the motion?

You have to admit, these girls do make a very valid point: :p

[youtubewide:sg6sgnq5]

And on a few more thoughts:

- Dalton and Cuse were full of sh*t saying that Walt was going to somehow factor into the finale in some manner.

- David's existence in the Sideways world is still puzzling as all hell to me and the more I think about it, the more I wonder if the writers rewrote the nature of the Sideways world sometime mid-season.

- WTF was with the underwater Island in the first episode of Season 6? Just a meaningless red herring???

- The explaination of the Whispers a few episodes back is still total horsecrap, as it disregards everything the audience knew and learned about them since Season 1 (that they were related directly to the Others arrival, not caused by Island ghosts).

- No Mr Eko in the Sideways world? That's disappointing.

- If MIB can't travel off the Island (save for tiny Hydra Island of the coast), how the hell did he appear to Michael on the Widmore's freighter as Christian Sheperd?
(then again, I don't think the writers had it planned that "MIB=Christian" when they wrote the Season 4 finale)

- No explaination on how Jacob left the Island in order to visit the Candidates (or Illana and Widmore...).

- When I first saw the Season 5 finale, I was really taken back by Jacob's "What about you?" line to Ben - to me, it came across as the final words of a man who knew that he was about to die.
After Season 6.... now those words come comes across as the words of an uncaring d*ckhead.

- I"ll probably still pick the Season 4 DVD set (I have Seasons 1-3 already), but as for Seasons 5 and 6?
Not gonna happen, dudes. :|

killbillme said:
and can we stop using spoiler code? anybody second the motion?

I second thus making this thread now spoiler code free. HA!

Irked 'Lost' fan re-edits final season without sideways

From The Hollywood Reporter:

If "Lost" were "Star Wars," season six would be its "Phantom Menace." And if that's true, the sideways flashbacks are arguably Jar Jar Binks.

So, like the guy who posted "The Phantom Edit" erasing all sign of a certain Rastafarian alien from George Lucas' movie, some anonymous fan is going through the entire sixth season of "Lost" and posting versions of each episode without the purgatory sideways flashes.

"A lot of people invested a lot of time and energy in following 'Lost' over the years," he explains. "I was one of those people. A lot of people were satisfied with the way the series ended. I was not one of those people."

"Ultimately, the sideways world was a gimmick. It was a way to give a happy ending to characters who didn't actually get a happy ending. It was a way to give an emotional sendoff to the series by tugging at our heartstrings, rather than addressing the numerous hanging threads left over by the plot."

Hmm, his complaints sound familiar...

Anyway, he just posted episode two, with episode three on the way.

"A lot of people invested a lot of time and energy in following 'Lost' over the years," he explains. "I was one of those people. A lot of people were satisfied with the way the series ended. I was not one of those people."

Yeah I invested too much time in this series, but I'm not going to waste any more time watching edits of it.

Lost deserves to die from uninterest.

The only thing I would watch would be something drastic which only involves the smoke monster vs jacob.
But even that is stupid.

Back
Top Bottom