• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Losslessly converting a 3D-Blu-Ray rip to a standard avi?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got a raw lossless rip of a 3D Blu-Ray *.M2TS file on my hardrive, great ready to edit I thought.

But no because when I drop it into Vegas the file loads as 47.952fps, which is double that of standard 2D Blu-Ray 23.976fps (Although VLC reads it as 23.976fps and plays it fine?). When Vegas is set to 47.952fps it all looks as it should be with a normal ammount of motion blur on quick panning shots like this...

but when I change it to standard 23.976fps in my timeline, or when I render out it looks like this...

(^ Click images to see full resolution versions)

It seems to be overlaying two frames on top of each other which isn't too noticeable when the camera and actors are still but is painful to watch at all other times.

So I want to know how to get a normal 23.976fps LagarithAvi out of this thing that I can then edit as normal. I'm guessing I could convert it in VirtualDub by chopping out every other frame, but I can't work out how to make VDub open an *.M2TS file. Does anybody know how to resolve these issues, or even understand the problem I'm having?

Thanks in advance y'all :).

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I understand your problem.
Basically there are 2 real frames for each conceived frame, VLC understands that it is 3d and reports every 2 frames as 1 frame, it seams Vegas does not understand that and reports the actual number of frames.
How to resolve these issues depends on what you want the outcome to be, if you want the outcome as 2D then you are better off converting the 3D source to 2D; check out this thread on videohelp forum:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/329541-How-to-encode-3D-STEREOSCOPIC-to-2D
and
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/333755-3D-MKV-to-2D-MKV
also check out this
http://www.ufuware.com/convert-3d-videos-to-2d-with-3d-to-2d-converter/
You can also try Handbrake or XMedia Recode, both free and available from videohelp.com
If you decide to convert, I would suggest that you try a short 5 minutes clip and see the results first.
If you want the output as 3D then a 3D capable NLE is your better option, EDIUS Pro 7 has a 30 day trial, you can get it here: http://www.grassvalley.com/products/edius_pro_7
The other alternatives that I know can handle 3D are Kdenlive (Linux with a Mac port) and Cinelerra (Linux).
Kdenlive is a very versatile app, and you can create profiles with any combination of resolutions and frame rates to suite your source.
Cinelerra is supposed to be a very capable NLE but it is a bitch to use ( most un-user friendly) I tried it once and gave up after a couple of hours, there is a reasonably good tutorial for it here: http://www.calcmaster.net/cinelerra/forgotten-guide/
If you are not a Linux user, you can always try Kdenlive and Cinelerra from a live DVD or USB without installing anything.
Hope this is of some use.
All the best and have a Merry Christmas

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Use eac3to (via the HdBrStreamExtractor GUI) to extract the left-eye stream. Then convert to Lagarith and edit as normal.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lots of promising suggestions so far. Thanks :)

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Lots of promising suggestions so far. Thanks :)
Edit:
I just figured out that your video if Frame Sequential or Frame Packing, not SBS or OU, this makes the post entirely non relevant to your question :-(.
I am still keeping the original post, it might be hopefully useful for someone.
--------------------------
Original post

I decided to test the concept of working with 3D, so I downloaded some 3D movie previews from youtube and did some testing, the files I downloaded were either SBS or OU, here is the conclusion;
You can covert 3D to 2D in Avidemux using crop and resize filters and encode the file as 2D.
I thought a better idea would be to do the cropping and resizing in NLE to avoid double encoding, so I tested this in available freeware and open source NLEs.
This was easily done in Kdenlive, and a bit more complicated but done in VideoPad.
I also tested working with the files as 3D, so I did some testing with that as well ( basic cut, join, transitions and effects)
All the apps I tested had no problem with editing and encoding a 3D file, all recognized the correct frame rate and resolutions.
The apps tested are; VideoPad and Lightworks on Windows, and Kdenlive, open shot, and shotcut on linux.
Here are some of the results:

Original clip:

AviDemux 3D to 2D

Kdenlive 3D to 2D

VideoPad 3D to 2D

Videopad 3D edit

Note: The videos are low res but they serve to show the concept

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Use eac3to (via the HdBrStreamExtractor GUI) to extract the left-eye stream. Then convert to Lagarith and edit as normal.

Getting back onto this one now I'm starting to freeup some HD space.

I've opened this program as you suggest and it all looks pretty simple but I see no options for extracting left or right eye streams?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's odd. You should see this.

zn785w.png

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Thanks for the reply.

100% not seeing those options, under streams, just one video stream. Hmm, maybe there is a problem with my file at the ripping stage (Don't see how as I just copied right off the disc). I'll try again and see what happens. Then again there clearly are two video streams in the file that Vegas is detecting?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Try ripping the whole disc and directing the GUI to the BDMV folder.

Top Bottom