• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Lord Of The Rings - The Best Edits

baldie2k12

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched all of Kerr's Book edits and was now wondering what "movie" length edits to watch. should I go for Sharkey's Purist Editions or The Feanor Editions. Suggestions welcome even recommending edits I haven't even mentioned. Thanks

My favorite is PJ's "Extended" editions.

I almost posted that but thought better of it. :p

I almost concurred but thought better of it. Can't say that I need a fanedit of the LOTR films. If I want the book version of the story, I'll read the books.

Hopefully someone who disagrees with us will chime in now and answer your question.

Where's Spelledaren when you need him?

I am biased. No comment. Plus mine isn't very popular. :cry:

So far, Kerr's are the definite best edit. The most important characteristic is the somewhat successful separation of the storylines according to how Tolkien set them up in the books. It adds particular resonance to scenes where Gandalf, Pippin, Aragorn are speculating as to the fate of the Ringbearer and the whole mechanic of misinformation and manipulation of the Enemy through the Palantir, ultimately paying off with the bleak Mouth of Sauron scene. In doing so, it automatically creates much more depth and tension as the viewer experiences the narrative concurrently with the POV of the characters on screen rather than assuming an omniscient position, knowing what is going on rather than speculating and feeling what the companions are.

Secondly, it removes a huge amount of misplaced, jarring comic-relief and storylines (Arwen's life tied to the ring? Really Jackson? Aragorn falling off the cliff, etc.) making for a tighter, more serious, and thrilling narrative.

Lastly, the edit tries to rectify or mitigate some of the awful characterization invented by the original screenwriters. Not particularly successful, but you have to consider the source material the editor had to work with.

The edit, however, has its particular flaws. The deus ex machina of the dead army is retained. Some stuff is awkward, the reworked scene of Frodo's dismissal of Sam didn't work too well, neither did their parting from Faramir. Some glaring, though possibly irremediable errors remain, such as the disappearance of the horses at the Black Gate. The 6 movies could be recut and resequenced into 5 for a superior cinematic experience, though it goes contrary to the other's "book cut" intent.

Kerr's edit represent a barebones, entry-level edit that attempts to make the Lord of the Rings movies more faithful to the books. However, I could not help but feel that there is SO MUCH more that could be done.

I have yet to see the Feanor edits, but they look promising, particularly some of the visual effects shots that I am quite interested in seeing (ex: Aragorn looking into the Palantir at Dunharrow). I don't have usenet, so I remain in the impossibility of viewing them at the moment. But I recommend you do and provide your own feedback!

i have both of the Feanor edits now as well as Kerr's edits. gonna be watching the Feanor edits soon. so there'll be feedback for that soon.

Kerr's edits thoguht were pretty well done as well. in the time that I wanna watch Lord of the Rings and don't necessarily have the patience or will to make it through the Extended Cuts, I usually turn to Kerr's edits.

I've been summoned!

So, I've been away for a while. Starting a thread like this is like talking about the devil or trolls or something.

I've seen every LotR edit posted to the site (including the Abridged version that was taken down for poor quality later). Obviously I've also been working on my own versions. I'm a Tolkien fan, if that need saying. I don't care if an edit brings the movie closer to the books or not, but I appriciate people making the effort to do so.

The Purist editions are nice, technically well done. I didn't find them quite as interesting in the editing as Kerr's versions, but with better quality.
Feanor editions, I like them very much. They do so much that I wanted done myself. The silly moments are gone, and they show great respect for the narrative, both the movie's and the book's. The RotK Feanor edition is the single best LotR edit anyone has produced so far. I still got a detailed review of that one coming...

Mukankakuna hasn't done Fellowship yet, but for the other two movies his versions are the best. Watch them.
For Fellowship you should watch my version, Fellowship: Remade! Not the best video, but the most improved character/villain stories. I'm also really pleased with the sound work... Of course I'm biased!

IMO Kerr's edits keep the suspense and momentum that the books had. Though they are mostly offline they are worth the effort to find.

Having now seen the Feanor edits, I must comment that the ROTK fanedit by mukankakuna is the best there is.

WyndorfDave said:
IMO Kerr's edits keep the suspense and momentum that the books had. Though they are mostly offline they are worth the effort to find.

They are all available via Mega. But now that FE.info is down, you'll need to send Kerr a PM to request the links.

kane1138 said:
They are all available via Mega. But now that FE.info is down, you'll need to send Kerr a PM to request the links.

I just got a PM back from Kerr and he said that he doesn't have the links because someone else uploaded them.

stretch009 said:
I just got a PM back from Kerr and he said that he doesn't have the links because someone else uploaded them.

You've got mail.

I like quite a few things in both the Redbook, Sharkey & Feanor editions. None of them are quite perfect to me though, and I find that I've edited together bits and pieces of the different ones to get an edit that I really enjoy.

I just wish that Frink would make a cutlist for all the different versions. ;)

All it takes is time and a bit of attention to detail - go for it!

Back
Top Bottom