• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Lone Ranger - The Movie (modernknife fanedit)

modernknife

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
loneranger-front-13-1387075866.jpg

Fanedit Name: Lone Ranger - The Movie
Faneditor Name: Modernknife
Genre: Action, Adventure, Western
Fanedit Type: FanFix

Original Release Date: 2013
Fanedit Release Date: December 2013
Original Running Time: 149 minutes
Fanedit Running Time: 102 minutes
Time Cut: 49 minutes
Time Added: 2.5 minutes

Brief Synopsis:

MODERNKNIFE PRESENTS... LONE RANGER THE MOVIE

Over 49 minutes cut, with 2.5 minutes added. New running time is now 102 minutes.

--No Old Tonto Framing Device.
--No Nature Out Of Balance.
--No Spirit Walker.
--No Helena Bonham Carter.
--No John Reid/Rebecca backstory.
--John Reid less naive and foolish.
--Fewer Tonto slapstick moments.

Intention:

After growing up with the original Lone Ranger television show and seeing the 1981 film in the theaters and being disappointed, I had some curious expectations with Gore Verbinski and company taking on the material. The final result contained some beautiful cinematography with dozens of nods to Western films of the past, sharp direction of action scenes and a faithful retelling of the John Reid origin story...mixed together with almost schizophrenic tone in action, comedy, drama, slapstick and historical tragedy. The running time of 149 minutes stretched the plot and story beyond any necessary requirements.

The challenge with this new edit was to produce a "100 minute" cut of the film out of the existing material.

Cuts and Additions:

IS THAT HELENA BONHAM CARTER?
--The entire Red Harrington subplot has been removed.
--However, Red does appear in a few crowd shots that could not be removed.

NOTE ON SILVER AND WILLIAM TELL OVERTURE
--The use of the Overture in the Bank Robbery scene has been removed.
--Silver jumping from the top of the barn out of the flames has been removed.
--Seeing Silver in action is held back for the final action scene with the first introduction of the William Tell Overture cue.

--Removed all Old Tonto Scenes.
--Added new 2m OPENING PROLOGUE w/ vintage Lone Ranger Radio & TV clips.
--Removed John looking at Rebecca's picture on train.
--Removed most of the slapstick banter between John and Tonto.
--Removed Tonto throwing henchman through train window.
--Removed shots of train wreck, including the flying metal spike.
--Removed Tonto dragging John in the dirt, various bantering and bickering.
--Removed backstory dialogue between John and Rebecca.
--Removed scarf moment between John and Rebecca.
--Removed Collins giving John flier for Red's.
--Removed John refusing gun from his brother.
--Removed some of Tonto's grave trading moments.
--Removed Nature of Out Balance Bunnies at campfire scene.
--Removed various lines of dialogue at campfire scene.
--Removed entire visit to Red's place and hijinks with townsfolk.
--Removed some lines between John and Tonto at Rebecca's home.
--Removed some lines and scenes from inside burning barn.
--Removed Super Silver moment jumping from barn in burning flames.

NOTE ON BARN ESCAPE:
--There are four sides to the barn, with only two sides covered by Butch's men.
--Although not seen, it is implied that Lone Ranger and Tonto escaped from one of the open sides.

--Removed some lines of uncertainty from John Reid before the shootout.
--Removed and Rearranged scenes in the desert with Reid and Tonto.
--Removed slapstick moments of John with Comanche tribe leader.
--Removed stampede moment with Tonto and Reid in the ground.
--Trimmed bickering between Reid and Tonto .
--Removed Reid hitting Butch multiple times. Now after one hit, a direct cut to dragging Butch in desert.
--Removed Reid knocking out Tonto.
--Removed Cole hitting Danny.
--Added scene of Lone Ranger and Tonto riding through town, robbing bank and finding nitro.

NOTE ON BANK ROBBERY SCENE:
Since the original scene had the William Tell Overture playing over the action, the entire scene has been
re-scored with new sound effects and music from the Hans Zimmer soundtrack.

--Moved up shot of bridge exploding.
--Removed the soldiers distracted by Red and the girls.
--Removed Red shooting the cart of explosives.

NOTE ON WHO SHOT THE EXPLOSIVES CART:
--Since Red is cut, we do not see who shot the cart.
--However, Lone Ranger is not yet seen in action, and he could have made this shot from on top of the buildings.

--Removed a few hijinks in the train sequence (Tonto knocking out Rebecca, Tonto catching grape from kid).
--Removed various dialogue from Lone Ranger.
--Added quick flashback images in sync with the music as Cole remembers the "Bad trade".
--Removed Lone Ranger on platform to accept the watch.
--Removed Tonto's "Don't do that again" line at end.
--Added sequence from beginning of Lone Ranger and Tonto looking out over valley.
--Added freeze-frame of Lone Ranger and Silver in pose.
--Added additional footage from Deleted Scene of Lone Ranger and Tonto riding toward next adventure.
--Added additional credit
--Added Lone Ranger mask over clip from the closing moments of the radio show.

Other Sources:

--Original clips from The Lone Ranger radio episodes.
--Clips from The Lone Ranger TV show.
--Clips from The Lone Ranger Animated TV Show.

Release Information
NTSC DVD-5

I absolutely HATED the theatrical release, feeling it was both a mess and an insult to Lone Ranger fans, and beyond redemption.
But after reading your cut list, I find myself very curious and cautiously hopeful.
I will definitely check this one out.

^ Now when bionicbob hates a pulp-based movie, you know it has to be unbearably awful!

When The Lone Ranger apparently dies about 30 minutes in, do you roll credits there? That's my fanedit.

But seriously, I hope everyone loves your edit. i wont be able to see it though, as I just can't bring myself to buy the dvd.

Dwight Fry said:
^ Now when bionicbob hates a pulp-based movie, you know it has to be unbearably awful!

The Lone Ranger Strikes! :)

Most of the reviews I read said it was a lot of fun but 45mins too long so this edit sounds about right (49 minutes cut). btw that cover is nicely understated and classy...

modernknife said:

Modern, you beautiful bastard. I finally watched The Lone Ranger today, and couldn't help doing a lot of mental fan editing as I went. As soon as the movie was over I checked the IFDb to see if anyone had already done one...bam! I see your cutlist which not only covers everything I thought while watching it, you went above and beyond with a bunch of other stuff. I love that feeling of having your taste in synch with someone else. (Someone else who did all the hard work. ;) )

its an awesome edit, i left a review on IFDb. you all have to see it.

I watched this one with great anticipation and hope. I have made no secret of my disgust for the theatrical version, so when Modernknife posted his cutlist, I felt the flames of potential redemption rekindle in me.

I think Knife has cut everything that can be cut from this movie without it losing a cohesive narrative. His editing is strong and his audio work is very good too. It is technically a good piece of fan editing.

But unfortunately for me, all these smart cuts could not save this movie for me.

I really enjoyed his new prologue and epilogue. It is a nice homage to Superman The Movie. Though for me, his homage only highlights how SUPERIOR the older versions of the Lone Ranger are to this modern mess. Even 1980's Legend of the Lone Ranger, which is a very bad movie, is better than this newest version because at the very least it stays true to the spirit of the source material.

No matter how many clever cuts, trims and rearranged scenes Knife made, he is still stuck with the performances of the actors involved. Hammer still plays the character as clumsy buffoon rather than earnest hero and Depp is still a wack job.

I applaud Modernknife's attempt to save this movie. It is a valiant effort and should definitely be viewed for all his hard work.
But in the end, for my personal tastes, this is still not the Lone Ranger I grew up watching and reading.

Thank the Pulp Gods, I still have Clayton Moore on dvd and Fran Striker on my bookshelf. :lol:

Not having grown up with the B&W Lone Ranger I find myself with little point of reference other than post 1970s westerns. Specifically I came of age with "Silverado". I gather from the discussion that a lot of the salvage in the edit is about removing ridiculousness. Is the resulting edit more in line with the earnest but generally fun tone of "Silverado", or more gritty like "Unforgiven" and "3:10 to Yuma"?

While sorting through my fanedit collection I re-watched the final act of this edit. It is sooooo good :). When an overly long and botched movie contains something as thrilling and audacious as that final train chase, I'm glad there are fanedits like this to rescue the rest of it.

I just wish this was in HD and that a colour re-grade had been done because the sickly green hue doesn't look nice in a western. Hope modernknife (Or someone else) does a version2 someday.

Back
Top Bottom