• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

LOGAN GOTHIC (Preview available)

dannydangle

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Currently cutting a version of Logan that emphasizes its Southern Gothic elements.

• Using the black-and-white Logan Noir version
  • Almost completely rescoring it with Country/Folk/Americana music (here's a playlist with some stuff that inspired me)
  • Removing much of Laura's dialogue
  • Removing a lot of redundant exposition
  • Seeing if I can cut down the action just a bit
  • Re-implementing some footage from the deleted scenes (also plan to use some footage from the Sunseeker trailer)
  • Experimenting with reframing it to a 1.85 aspect-ratio 
Basically the goal is to achieve a Logan that's (1) more moody and atmospheric, (2) more grotesque rather than actiony (Logan's doppelganger, for example, works much better as a gothic grotesquerie than as a proper cinematic antagonist), (3) focused more on the personal Southern Gothic themes and less on the narrative, (4) musically closer in tone to that of the trailer.

VKQwJPd.png

EDIT:
Tracklist:
  • Johnny Cash - The Vanishing Race
  • Johnny Cash - I Corinthians, 15:55
  • Tom Waits - The Earth Died Screaming
  • Blind Willie McTell - Motherless Children Have A Hard Time
  • Neil Young - Guitar Solo No. 4
  • Charles Laughton, Walter Schumann - Pearl's Dream
  • Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage
  • Tom Waits - Chocolate Jesus
  • Johnny Cash - Thirteen
  • Blind Willie McTell - You Got to Die
  • Johnny Cash - The Beast In Me
  • Johnny Cash - Hurt
  • Johnny Cash - I Don't Hurt Anymore
  • Johnny Cash - Redemption
Cutlist:
(timestamps refer to original unedited film)
  • Completely rescored
  • Shortened opening fight
  • Removed dialogue of Logan saying "I don't like guns" (28:36)
  • Removed unrealistic gun "cocking" when bad guys attack Logan (34:35)
  • Removed dialogue of nurse saying Laura is Logan's child (51:53)
  • Shortened shot of Laura's medical record so it's not explicit that Logan is the DNA host (56:04)
  • Shortened scene of Laura in Munson boy's room (1:18:37)
  • Removed Laura's first speaking scene (1:37:46)
  • Lessened Laura's dialogue (1:41:35)
  • Lessened Laura's dialogue (1:44:24)
  • Removed child dialogue (1:45:54)
  • Added footage of stars
  • Lessened Laura's dialogue (1:51:28)
  • Removed Laura's line "then I'll be fine" (1:53:45)
  • Trimmed some footage and dialogue from the border crossing scene 
  • Removed cut to children during Logan's death scene (2:08:40)
Removed: 4 minutes
Added: 16 seconds

See what you did there...

The-Night-of-the-Hunter-movie-poster-1955-picture-MOV_e10d6fad_b.jpg

Good choice.

Nice. It's finally going on.  :D

But it would also be nice if you included color version on dvd to choose as well (with added grain maybe) - in that way we would have more western-drama movie rather than b&w grotesque.

Very nice.  I'm looking forward to it.  I forward what Zagadka said, though.  Also: did you consider having Donald Pierce die during Caliban's "sacrifice".

I've thought about killing off Pierce early on but it may be tricky given his appearance at the end. I'll see though.

Update: Added cutlist and tracklist plus a snippet from the edit. The edit is basically complete, if anyone wants to preview it before I submit it and give some feedback that'd be much appreciated!

EDIT:
Tracklist:
  • Johnny Cash - The Vanishing Race
  • Johnny Cash - I Corinthians, 15:55
  • Tom Waits - The Earth Died Screaming
  • Blind Willie McTell - Motherless Children Have A Hard Time
  • Neil Young - Guitar Solo No. 4
  • Charles Laughton, Walter Schumann - Pearl's Dream
  • Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage
  • Tom Waits - Chocolate Jesus
  • Johnny Cash - Thirteen
  • Blind Willie McTell - You Got to Die
  • Johnny Cash - The Beast In Me
  • Johnny Cash - Hurt
  • Johnny Cash - I Don't Hurt Anymore
  • Johnny Cash - Redemption
Cutlist:
(timestamps refer to original unedited film)
  • Completely rescored
  • Shortened opening fight
  • Removed dialogue of Logan saying "I don't like guns" (28:36)
  • Removed unrealistic gun "cocking" when bad guys attack Logan (34:35)
  • Removed dialogue of nurse saying Laura is Logan's child (51:53)
  • Shortened shot of Laura's medical record so it's not explicit that Logan is the DNA host (56:04)
  • Shortened scene of Laura in Munson boy's room (1:18:37)
  • Removed Laura's first speaking scene (1:37:46)
  • Lessened Laura's dialogue (1:41:35)
  • Lessened Laura's dialogue (1:44:24)
  • Removed child dialogue (1:45:54)
  • Added footage of stars
  • Lessened Laura's dialogue (1:51:28)
  • Removed Laura's line "then I'll be fine" (1:53:45)
  • Trimmed some footage and dialogue from the border crossing scene 
  • Removed cut to children during Logan's death scene (2:08:40)
Removed: 4 minutes
Added: 16 seconds

Thread moved to pending until this can be Academy Reviewed.

I had the pleasure of reviewing this edit for the Academy/IFDB.

An outstanding edit. Honestly one of the best I've seen. The rescoring is excellent, and I'm a sucker for Johnny Cash. I didn't have any problems with this movie initially, but after reading your cutlist I think the removal of Laura's dialogue and exposition was a good choice.

If I were to list what I liked about this edit, I would just be listing the cutlist so I think that's unnecessary...

The only technical issue I noticed was at 1:37:00, when Logan and Laura are getting back in the car, coming from the clinic. I believe you cut out dialogue here, so when you switch from the uncut in-car shot to the "post-dialogue" in-car shot (the one actually at 1:37:00), there's a very jarring shift in audio and motion, the shot is also less than a second in length which throws off the pacing a bit. I'd try just removing that shot, and going straight from the in-car shot of Logan to the shot of the car driving away. But, if you're keen on keeping it, I think even messing with audio levels a bit and turning the volume of the "post-dialogue" shot down would do the trick.

macmilln said:
I had the pleasure of reviewing this edit for the Academy/IFDB.

An outstanding edit. Honestly one of the best I've seen. The rescoring is excellent, and I'm a sucker for Johnny Cash. I didn't have any problems with this movie initially, but after reading your cutlist I think the removal of Laura's dialogue and exposition was a good choice.

If I were to list what I liked about this edit, I would just be listing the cutlist so I think that's unnecessary...

The only technical issue I noticed was at 1:37:00, when Logan and Laura are getting back in the car, coming from the clinic. I believe you cut out dialogue here, so when you switch from the uncut in-car shot to the "post-dialogue" in-car shot (the one actually at 1:37:00), there's a very jarring shift in audio and motion, the shot is also less than a second in length which throws off the pacing a bit. I'd try just removing that shot, and going straight from the in-car shot of Logan to the shot of the car driving away. But, if you're keen on keeping it, I think even messing with audio levels a bit and turning the volume of the "post-dialogue" shot down would do the trick.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words! I’ll definitely take a look at that shot.

If anyone else is interested in seeing this and giving feedback just shoot me a PM!

This edit is approved! Congratulations @“dannydangle”!

Back
Top Bottom