• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Live Free or Die Hard - The Bailey Cut

Bailey

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Live Free or Die Hard is my second favorite Die Hard movie (behind the original, of course). For most it is probably Die Hard - With A Vengeance, which I also love, but I have always enjoyed Live Free (except for one scene, more on that later in this post).

For me it goes;
  1. Die Hard – A nearly perfect movie.
  2. Live Free – Slightly flawed, but I enjoy.
  3. With a Vengeance – Nearly perfect.
  4. Die Hard 2 – A good (but not great) action movie, with no glaring flaw that can be fixed by an edit and doesn’t necessarily need it anyway.
  5. A Good Day to – Very flawed and just not a good movie at all. I already did an edit of it, trying to make it at least tolerable as part of a rewatch.
But back to the point of this post, Live Free or Die Hard. This edit uses the unrated version as the base and adds back in most of (if not all) that was removed from the theatrical to make the unrated version. The only things that were not added back are the lines that were directly replaced with a new line. And the biggest changes are to the F35 scene near the end.

Changes;

Added FE intro

Added my B-Movie intro

13:03 -
Added line – “That’ll wake the neighbors.” McClane

26:02 - Added line “We’re under attack.” Bowman

28:12 - Added line "All those nickels and dimes they saved had meaning. 'Useful idiots', as Lenin would say." Gabriel

30:13 - Added the hackers sending the video package.

38:06 - Added line "...you're a Timex watch in a digital age." Gabriel

49:49 - Added line "I don't know. It's not responding." Casper

1:01:32 - Added subtle line "I'm not that guy." Matt

1:35:41 - This whole scene between Bowman and DHS is reworked, combining both the theatrical and unrated cuts.

1:53:00 - Then the scene with the most changes, the scene with the F35 jet chasing and shooting at McClane in the truck. This scene has always bothered me, it is the reason for this edit, it is the flaw that I mentioned earlier. It is so over the top. It’s a little too unbelievable, even for a Die Hard movie. It is heavily trimmed.

Far less crumbling highway. There is still some, but far less.

Far less of the F35 shooting at the truck and missing.

F35 no longer plays chicken with the truck.

The truck no longer nearly tips over and McClane saves it by turning the wheel.

When McClane falls onto the F35, he no longer rides it for nearly a minute and jumps off. He falls and lands on it, it spins around, and he falls off. It all happens quickly and is a tad more believable.

And more.

The 5 1/2 min scene is trimmed to about 4 min.

Theatrical is 2:08:44 with credits

Unrated is 2:08:36 with credits

Edit is 2:08:28 with credits

Last edited:
I totally agree with this sentiment. Live Free or Die Hard definitely had promise and felt like a natural continuation of the story (despite making John McClain a super-hero, as Michael Scott once said). A Good Day to Die Hard was SO bad I never even finished it.

I'd love to check this edit out!

Good idea, good to see that you're a fan of Die Hard 4.0 (it's the one I have the most nostalgia for, more so than the original actually) and cool to combine the theatrical and unrated cuts together. It'll feel the most like I'm watching the complete film. Yes 4.0 is OTT and you're right to cut down some of it, but it's still fundamentally a Die Hard film. Look forward to previewing it.

Thanks Artisdead for adding the poster and reviewing!

For most it is probably Die Hard - With A Vengeance
I just dont understand why people like DH3 so much. Every time I try to watch it, end up being bored by second half of it.
Is it McTiernan's name or what? :)

The only true DH sequel for me is DH2 - it is true to the spirit of the original, with great replay value and atmosphere. The rest feels just like some random Bruce Willis action movies - for example, Last Boy Scout, Hostage or even 16 Blocks feels just as DH as these sequels.
But I still prefer Live Free over 3.

Years ago I've watched an edit that completely eliminated F35 scene and it worked quite well.

Last edited:
The rest feels just like some random Bruce Willis action movies - for example, Last Boy Scout, Hostage or even 16 Blocks feels just as DH as these sequels.
I can't even disagree with that, but I still like them.

Maybe there was a misunderstanding or mistake made but I will be watching this Sunday evening and if I have notes I'll let you know! Look forward to watching. I liked this Die Hard actually.

Last edited:
Finally got to be able to watch it thoroughly. This is a great edit. Video quality is very good. Audio is solid. Video editing is solid. It's quite well done. I like the trims to the end third of the film.

Back
Top Bottom