• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Lightworks (Oscar winning editor) going open source

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cool, I wonder how robust its features are compared with the heavy hitters vegas/ulead/fcp

ab5tract

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The interface certainly looks nice.

scr_lightworks.png

Quite a difference from, say, Cinellera

cinelera-fedora-vm.png

Granted, image isn't everything. But if the only polished the GUI after the system was already significantly capable (like they should), then this could definitely be a good editor.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm confused. Is an industry-standard editing suite actually being made available for free? What's the rationale behind this? Driving Premiere, Vegas, Womble, Final Cut Express and all midrange software out of business? Or do they just want people to switch so people will want to buy their storage solutions?

This is potentially a big thing. But I have a hard time cutting through the thick fog of self-hype in the press release.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just now I heard the news that this software is set to be released for Linux until late 2011!

That much time to wait is such a let down for me, I would really like to have this kind of tool available on my preferred OS... oh well.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
havok1977 said:
Just now I heard the news that this software is set to be released for Linux until late 2011!

That much time to wait is such a let down for me, I would really like to have this kind of tool available on my preferred OS... oh well.

Same thing for Mac. But for those of you who use Windows, looks like November 29th is your lucky day.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
Same thing for Mac. But for those of you who use Windows, looks like November 29th is your lucky day.

Indeed heb, perhaps the best hope for us *nix based OS users is Lumiera though it's still quite early in its development, so for now no choice but to wait or make do with the constantly improving Kdenlive...

But then again I guess all you Mac dudes are happy with what Steve's evil minions release :p

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone know how many audio tracks you can have in this program?

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is really amazing. Very curious to see how good this program is. Could really open up editing to the average Joe.

Rogue-theX said:
Anyone know how many audio tracks you can have in this program?

I would have to assume that it would have enough.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just so i know, and sorry in advance for this perhaps rediculous question, but does open source mean free?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Just so i know, and sorry in advance for this perhaps rediculous question, but does open source mean free?

Yes. It also means (generally) the source code will be made available of others to tweak and improve upon.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
havok1977 said:
But then again I guess all you Mac dudes are happy with what Steve's evil minions release :p

Yeah, that must be why I use After Effects, and mocha, and SoundSoap, and Audacity, and...oh, wait ;-)

/don't own an iPod; I'm clumsy and would break it
/don't need an iPhone; I just want a cellphone with a ringtone that sounds like, you know, a phone
/don't want an iPad; I prefer my internet unmediated, thanks all the same

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just downloaded Lightworks and will probably take a look at it/mess around with it after I finish my first fanedit. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it out yet.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just installed it. It looks really slick and easy to use. I didn't have time to play with it as I had to go to work, but I tried importing an mpeg2 and it froze, haha. Most editors don't like that, so it's probably fine. I'll play with it more tonight.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm going to play with it later today. I'm looking for a better NLE for Windows since Premiere is more work than it needs to be.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agreed, and I'm getting really sick of Vegas as well.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anybody get a chance to play with this yet? I haven't had time with this ROTJ edit going on. I'm really curious about it though.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got a chance to look through some tutorials and read some articles and Lightworks seem really awesome. Im looking forward to playing around with it. Im even debating pushing my fanedit release back and starting from scratch and making the fanedit in Lightworks.

Quick FYI: Lightworks has a one click Auto-Sync feature, that resyncs audio after youve done any kind of cut or edit. I have no idea how it works, but sounds pretty handy and could avoid a lot of headaches.

Top Bottom