• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Lightworks (Oscar winning editor) going open source

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm doing Duel of the Fates with Vegas, as I feel like that one is so indepth that I need to feel comfortable with the program I'm using, but I think some of the smaller edits I'm planning to do on the side I might try out in LightWorks. I shall report back!

dark4181

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I downloaded this program and tried to use it, but it won't load ripped DVD video files, or the same files when converted into mpeg2 .m2v files :( Anyone know a program that can convert my DVD vid files into a format I can import into Lightworks?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dark4181 said:
I downloaded this program and tried to use it, but it won't load ripped DVD video files, or the same files when converted into mpeg2 .m2v files :( Anyone know a program that can convert my DVD vid files into a format I can import into Lightworks?

If you check this site http://fxhome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43944 and scroll through the thread some guy "DVStudios" has made a bunch of youtube tutorials for Lightworks. I haven't gotten a chance to look at them yet, but maybe they could be of some help.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dark, just convert it to Lagarith AVI. Pretty much every editing program worth a damn will input/output that, and if LightWorks doesn't it wouldn't be of much value to this community anyway.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found this off of the Lightworks Forums. Its a list of the compatible video formats for input:

To clarify this situation, the current codec / format support as of Lightworks 10.0.3 beta is:

Import
Quicktime DV / DVCAM
Quicktime DVCPRO
Quicktime DVCPRO 50
Quicktime DVCPRO HD
Quicktime H.264 (playback performance dependant on CPU – transcode recommended)
Quicktime AVCHD (playback performance dependant on CPU – transcode recommended)
Quicktime Photojpeg (playback performance dependant on CPU – transcode recommended)
MXF OpAtom DVCPRO (P2)
MXF OpAtom DVCPRO 50 (P2)
MXF OpAtom DVCPRO HD (P2)
MXF Op1a DV / DVCAM (XDCAM)
MXF Op1a MPEG-2 SD I-Frame (10Mb/s – 50Mb/s)
MXF Op1a MPEG-2 HD I-Frame (50Mb/s – 300Mb/s)
AVI DV / DVCAM
AVI DVCPRO
AVI DVCPRO 50
AVI DVCPRO HD
AVI Uncompressed SD
AVI Uncompressed HD
AVI MPEG-2 SD I-Frame
AVI MPEG-2 HD I-Frame
AVI MJPEG
Image Seqeuence (BMP, Targa, TIFF, JPEG, PNG – others still to be tested fully)

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hmm... that's what build in, but I wonder if it'll take Lagarith if it's installed on your system?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I was thinking that too. I sure hope so. So from that list, it doesn't input plain old dvd style mpeg2 right?

... Because i aint even heard of half of those formats so i don't know whats what :-o

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I was reading through some of the forums and they stress that Lightworks was a professional editing system so it was geared towards these non consumer friendly formats. And that because Lightworks has gone open source, a lot of the codecs and format types that people like to use, they can't use on Lightworks because of licensing fees etc. That was just the general gist that i got from perusing their forums.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
^ I was thinking that too. I sure hope so. So from that list, it doesn't input plain old dvd style mpeg2 right?

... Because i aint even heard of half of those formats so i don't know whats what :-o

most of these formats are editable formats. MPEG2 was never meant to be edited. Its a very compressed output format. Womble is the only software that properly handles it, and thats about all womble does. It would be too bad if lightworks didn't take lagarith videos, but I am not surprised that uncompressed AVI, and some MOV formats are mostly what it will handle at this point.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So last night I converted a 5 minute MPEG2 clip into uncompressed AVI. The file size ended up being something like 8 GB. I attempted to import it into Lightworks and the estimated time to import it was 30 minutes! Maybe thats just a result of my computer (my computer is a bit outdated and doesn't have the "horsepower" of the newer ones). Anyway, I'd need to invest in at least a 1TB HD to be able to work with Lightworks. I will still try to import that short clip and mess around with Lightworks and try to learn what I can. I'm still very intrigued by this software. So much to learn/edit/watch and so little time!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
import it was 30 minutes!

Yikes! The more i hear about this program the more i want to stay away from it...

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Yikes! The more i hear about this program the more i want to stay away from it...

Lol. I don't blame you for that sentiment. For some reason I am still intrigued by the program.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's taken me about 9 months or so to feel fully comfortable with Vegas, so I probably won't try Lightworks at the moment. I'm more likely to go onto Final Cut Pro when I get a mac.

However, if it's open source you can't really complain I suppose.

Asteroid-Man

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
cool, I wonder how robust its features are compared with the heavy hitters vegas/ulead/fcp
Well first of all, Lightworks isn't too big. Sure a handful of films were cut on it, but that's only a handful.

Secondly, Vegas and uLead are no where NEAR heavy hitters. They're unstable and glitchy. Final Cut Pro is a heavy hitter, but even then it's fallen off the horse. The only true industry standard for NLE is Avid's Media Composer. Lightworks going free will probably have no effect on FCP and especially MC, mostly because those who are trained to use these already have them or have access to them, so their customers wouldn't switch from NLE suites that have put forth countless Oscar winning films for a less popular NLE that has put out half-a-dozen Oscar nominated films.

It only serves as competition to Premiere and Vegas - and even then, Premiere is slowly reaching the level of FCP. I think in the coming years, we'll see the order of use come to this:

Media Composer (industry standard)
Premiere (intermediate)
Vegas (consumer)
Final Cut (casual)

Just where I've noticed the trends going.

Rogue-theX said:
Anyone know how many audio tracks you can have in this program?
To be honest, usually these programs can support multiple, but Editors almost never use too many because audio is normally managed in ProTools.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Resurrecting this old thread.

How does Lightworks hold up now?

Top Bottom