• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Lightscribe

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi.

I've recently got a new PC with a Lightscribe DVD-RW & I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

I'm guessing it burns a picture into the label face of the disc like a writer burns a film into the data side of the disc. Correct?

Considering fanediting is an expensive hobby for both the fan & editor, might it be a good idea to produce Lightscribe DVD artwork? This should save people money on ink for printers & labels for discs.

Just a thought. :)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That would be awesome for people who have lightscribe. Do many people have it?

DawgLB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i recently recieved a lightscribe disk in a case as trade and i must say it looks a hell of a lot more professional than any label my printer can make for me, i never even use my printer to make labels any more cause the damn label would ruin the dvd quite often after sticking it on, atleast my method wasnt working for me.

i doubt lightscribe has the capability to burn in colors but that would be even sweeter, i would definately burn all my dvd's with lightscribe if i could, even if its only black and white.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nothing beats my epson r220 for a beautiful disc, but man ink is expensive.

DawgLB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Nothing beats my epson r220 for a beautiful disc, but man ink is expensive.

what program do you use to set up your labels for printing? im using a memorex labelmaker program and paper that i bought from walmart quite a few years back. maybe i need a new program or maybe even better label paper since i dont really like the label paper i currently have.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
labels are definitely bad. I have ruined several discs from making labels a while ago. I think either get discs and a printer that you can print directly on. these can be nice, or go the lightscribe route

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
so FatherMerrin, you got any piccies of the results?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ghostcut said:
so FatherMerrin, you got any piccies of the results?

yeah, I would love to see a picture of what it looks like on the disc compared to your original artwork. I havent actually seen any lightscribe discs, and I'm curious

mfj5000

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have made some lightscribe dvds and i really like them, if i knew how to take a pic of them and upload it i would show you all. You can get any jpg pic and fit it to the cover on the disc, it takes about 30 mins to do, you really need to use the darkest setting to see the pic very well. I would love to do all my dvds like this once I saw how them came out, but the discs tend to be like a dollar a disc at the cheapest i have found. I think they look great and if you can afford the discs they do really come out looking great. Black and white but still great.

Sprug's decapitated head

Reaction score
Trophy Points

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's the four I've made. I didn't burn V & VI because I'm waiting for Adywan's versions. :)

I'm pretty happy with them, they look a bit faint here cause they're scans. But, next time I make Lightscribe DVD artwork I'll use colours that are bolder.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They are smart...ive just ordered a lightscribe burner.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks AvP. I think it's definitely something more people at Fanedit.org should consider. I mean apart from the money you'd save in the long term, I think Lightscribe DVDs are in the same spirit of Fanedits. What I mean by that is the we all know a lot of edits will never reach perfection, but we all to our best to come close to it.

For me Lightscribe encapsulates that, it's not perfect but it's the next best thing. :)

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i've had a lightscribe drive for a while and it really is nothing more than a novelty. If you burn massive amounts of disc's obviously the discs would cost you a fortune but for those few special discs you love it is worth it. When i get home I will snap some pics of fanedits i've burnt with lightscribe discs.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just bought some LS discs and they were about the same price has normal printable discs.

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
most of the stores around here charge roughly 20 - 25 cents per disc for printable and 75 cents to a buck for lightscribe discs.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you pay that much for LS discs!

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NexPhr3ak0r said:
most of the stores around here charge roughly 20 - 25 cents per disc for printable and 75 cents to a buck for lightscribe discs.

:eek: That's unbelievable.

Below is what I paid for them.

Datasafe DVD-R 16x Lightscribe V1.2 - 50pk Spindle
Qty: 1Cost: £8.41

Datasafe CD-R 700MB 80min 52x Lightscribe V 1.2 - 50 pack spindle
Qty: 1Cost: £7.63

NexPhr3ak0r, I'm looking forward to seeing your Lightsribe stuff. :)

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:shock:

...um, Nex, do you reckon it would be economical for you to send some out to us poor ripped-off Brits?

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My lightscribe burner came today...so ive done my 1st disc,they do look smart!

Top Bottom