• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

lighting effect bleeding into black bars

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hello all -
I have been working w/ a regular avi in vegas and have added a few lighting effects to some scenes they looked fine until last night when I replaced the videofile w/ a lagarith avi to get a better final render and now the effects bleed over the black bars very noticeably. any ideas why?
vlcsnap-34460.png

also, i have a few different sources here and before (original avi) the A/R matched and after inserting the lag avi they seem to be off? nothing looks squished though. due to time I might have to go w/ my original (slightly lower quality) render :x
thanks.

well if you use a external encoder you can crop the black bars and add new bars in vdub.

elbarto1 said:
now the effects bleed over the black bars very noticeably. any ideas why?
Because they are part of the image. The effect doesn't ignore the bars like an audience is supposed to. ;)

well they werent effected in the first avi I was using... only the lagarith.
I ended up cropping the shots in vegas to remedy the issues but it was odd.
its like the first avi I was using had no bars and vegas added them, but the lagarith had the bars hardcoded in.
oh well, just another thing to toss in my book of "stuff I learned while fanediting" :)

ThrowgnCpr said:
another way to handle this is add new black bars over the effect. There is a plugin for Vegas that you can add as an effect on top of your plugin chain: http://zenote.com/product/letterbox.asp

I know you have told me about that before but I had forgotten.
I will add this to my arsenal for future battles against nonsense.
thanks.

Uncanny Antman said:
Was the other thing you were editing in 1:85:1?
I dont believe so. It was the same footage. I initially started w small avi's as I didnt have the room on my HDD for multiple lagarith films. once completed (editing) I replaced the main film avi w a lagarith avi of the same source and thats when I had the issues of the light effects crossing the borders.

I tend to crop the letterboxing when I'm editing 2.35:1, and adjust the project's aspect to fit. When exporting the letterboxing is automatically added but importantly, the effects don't bleed out into the letterbox area.

Back
Top Bottom