• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Light Sketch Into Cartoon

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, my mate has done a sketch for a project he's doing & asked me to bring his sketch to life for him. My issue is I don't seem able to bolden the lines properly. I've tried using Stroke in Photoshop & the standard image adjustment tools in Paint Shop Pro but I've still haven't come up with any satisfactory.

I think what's he's looking is nice thick bold black lines, like you get in cartoons & stuff. If anyone knows any cool techniques to transform this sketch into cartoon then please let me know.

Here's the pic.

Thanks

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In photoshop go to IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS>LEVELS then you can tweak how much black or white is in the image you want.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That works.
You can try also try the Accented Edges filter (under Brush Strokes)in Photoshop too.
You can fiddle with the settings for width, brightness and smoothness. I used settings of 3, 5, and 1 respectively for those settings and came out with the image below, using PS CS2 v9.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cheers guys. It's been so long since I've done anything like this I was just so rusty.

I eventually ended up using a variety of tools. In Photoshop I used all the Auto level stuff, then I reduced the brightness & contract to Zero, that made it grey so I selected all the lines & coloured them black, then I used the Stroke tool & set it to Outside at 3. I won't be finished with this until tomorrow & I'll post the results then.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom