• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Light Saber Colors

Perhaps I'm wrong, but aren't red lightsabers only used by the Sith?

TV's Frink said:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but aren't red lightsabers only used by the Sith?

In the game Knights of the Old Republic it was shown that the color of your saber was representative of your class of Jedi.

Which I think is why JasonN changed both Yoda and Dooku to purple. But regardless, if the movies stand on their own (i.e. no EU, as I believe they should), then a red saber = Sith, and Dooku's saber has to be changed.

yeah i guess you could just make up whatever you'd like it to be (it's a fanedit, right?). but really... it's all made up (in addition to it being, like, fiction :) )

the idea that it is tied to the crystal color is the most supported (and why darth vader's saber is not red on mustafar). also, they just flippantly changed saber colors during the movies, so imposing meaning seems to be counter-intuitive.

Vader's isn't red on Mustafar because it's the same one he had when he was a Jedi at that point.

The crystal color is something that comes from outside the movies, and someone watching a Star Wars movie with no knowledge of the EU would probably not know this (unless it's in the crawl).

Watching the OT, Vader's saber is Red. Then in TPM, Maul's saber is red. In ROTS, Palps is red (as is Dooku's). Therefore, lacking any other information (contained within the movies), it's not making something up to say red = sith. It's a logical conclusion, not something made up.

At any rate, I'm fairly certain that was JasonN's logic in changing Dooku's saber color, and I think it makes perfect sense.

L8wrtr said:
** on a side note: i noticed jasonn rotoscoped dooku and yoda's lightsabers purple. I kept them the way they are. I do applaud him because when i saw that, i was thinking to
myself how seamless that looked. Good job, but i feel entirely unnecessary.**
It was ENTIRELY necessary for my edits, because Dooku was no longer a Sith in my Prequels story, but was still a Jedi Knight (as TV Frink pointed out).

As for why I made both Dooku's and Yoda's sabers purple? Well, let's put it this way: if George Lucas had NEVER introduced a purple lightsaber with the Mace Windu character, I probably would've rotoscoped Dooku's lightsaber to be blue or somthing and kept Yoda's lightsaber green, but of course, that didn't happen (because Lucas was too stupid to understand visual continuity and was more focused on pleasing his big star Samuel Jackson by letting him picking his own lightsaber color...). I wasn't going to go around rotoscoping Mace's saber (it took a damn long time just to do Dooku's), so I decided that for select "Grand Masters" in the Jedi Order, a purple lightsaber would act as a visual representation of being the highest in the order. Doing that also added to the character of Dooku who went rogue and rebeled against the Republic, despite being so high in the Order.

(also, I really don't give a sh*t about "crystal colors" or any of the explanations in the EU as to why Mace had a purple lightsaber... my interest is solely in the films themselves and what is or isn't introduced through them)

yeah, like i said - do what you want... its a fanedit. what we "know" regarding this subject is totally made up AFTER the fact.

in EP4 there is only blue and red (red being sith) so sure, that makes sense. but in RotJ they change the saber color to green for aesthetic reasons. mace's lightsaber is purple because sam jackson likes the color. everyone elses lightsaber in the PT are random. the younglings have different color sabers. obi wan has a blue (not green) saber so the mastery scale still makes no sense.

like JasonN said - George just made shit up along the way. there isn't any importance to the colors. any importance is just an after thought.

and its all made up :)

Jedi and Padawan learners may have all the colors then want in the movies indeed, exept red.
If you only care about the movies and not the EU (my case) you can see red as a possible "taboo" color among the Jedi,
because red is only used by Sith.

Look what I did to this thread. :wink:

TV's Frink said:
Look what I did to this thread. :wink:
Damn, you're right... Sorry, I think my SW geeky attitude has stepped over my moderator status.

NO MORE lightsabers colors talking you all, okay?! :twisted:

:razz:

it's alright :) i expected to split the thread when i replied the first time ;)

the "red is taboo" idea is a good one and well supported by the EU. in the EU - in addition to red crystals being super rare, you can essentially only make a red crystal through the force, which adds the maker's influence to the color.

that's "how" luke's saber is green in VI and how darth sidious/vader/maul are red.

sith = red is almost completely true (other than those rare crystals spoken of above), but all other colors are totally random (except blue and green, which are more common simply because they are more abundant).

the EU is actually pretty expansive on this subject.

Back
Top Bottom