• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Letterboxd

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welp, I watched all of the post-Hellbound Hellraiser sequels and reviewed them.
Here you can find my reviews and rankings:
https://boxd.it/8LICK

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
That's my last 5x5 list complete and it only took 7 weeks ( '5 Directors, 5 Films (Part V)' ).
The best ones by each Director are probably: The Conversation, Fitzcarraldo, The Wind Rises, Logan Lucky and Andrei Rublev.

I liked that you picked the best film out of each set of 5.  Would be interesting to see your 'best of 5' picks in the future.  Did you write a review on Letterboxd for The Wind Rises? I think you're the first person I've heard love it more than those others.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
TM2YC said:
That's my last 5x5 list complete and it only took 7 weeks ( '5 Directors, 5 Films (Part V)' ).
The best ones by each Director are probably: The Conversation, Fitzcarraldo, The Wind Rises, Logan Lucky and Andrei Rublev.

I liked that you picked the best film out of each set of 5.  Would be interesting to see your 'best of 5' picks in the future.  Did you write a review on Letterboxd for The Wind Rises? I think you're the first person I've heard love it more than those others.

Yes I did: https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/film/the-wind-rises/

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I created an account not too long ago. I populated it by going back through reviews I’ve posted here so I’m not sure how much it would be of interest to any of you. I’m not terribly active.

https://boxd.it/1D74d

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:

I've only ever seen the first movie. Is it even worth me watching the rest of the series?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
jrWHAG42 said:

I've only ever seen the first movie. Is it even worth me watching the rest of the series?

The second movie is worth watching. It's a direct sequel to the first, same actors and people behind it. Beyond that it's not really worth watching. If you were to watch one beyond the first two, 5 is the next best in my opinion.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With my review of 'Darling' done, it's taken me over 3-months to get through my last list of 25 films by 5 Directors.  I think picking 20 subtitled films was a bit too much.  I'm not always in the mood to concentrate that extra bit harder :D .

Céline Sciamma, Agnès Varda and John Schlesinger are now my new favourite directors.  It'll be no great surprise to many but Sciamma's 'Portrait of a Lady on Fire' is a modern masterpiece ('Tomboy' too). I loved everything by Varda but her 'Faces Places' and 'Vagabond' were my favourites.  Schlesinger's 'The Day of the Locust' blew my mind but 'Midnight Cowboy' and 'Marathon Man' are great too.  I didn't positively love anything from Mario Bava and Jean-Luc Godard but I suppose 'Blood and Black Lace' and 'Band of Outsiders' would be my picks from them.

For my 8th 5x5 list of films I've never seen before (https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/list/5-directors-5-films-part-viii/) I'm going with:

Stanley Kubrick - I've watched all his other films multiple times but never seen these three. Plus two sequels to Kubrick movies. I plan to watch Kubrick's early short docs as well.
- Fear and Desire 1953
- Killer’s Kiss 1955
- Lolita 1962
- 2010 1984
- Doctor Sleep 2019

John Carpenter - The last 5 John Carpenter films I've never seen (including one he wrote). Hopefully there are some good movies in there.
- Eyes of Laura Mars 1978
- Someone’s Watching Me! 1978
- Memoirs of an Invisible Man 1992
- Body Bags 1993
- The Ward 2010

Ingmar Bergman - A more or less random selection of his more famous/acclaimed films.
- Through a Glass Darkly 1961
- Winter Light 1963
- Persona 1966
- Hour of the Wolf 1968
- Cries and Whispers 1972

Darren Aronofsky - I only really caught onto his work with 'The Wrestler', so I missed out on these other 5, which completes his filmography for me.
- Pi 1998
- Requiem for a Dream 2000
- The Fountain 2006
- Black Swan 2010
- Noah 2014

Francois Truffaut - Time to explore more of my Truffaut blu-ray boxset, plus I fancy seeing that 'Hitchcock/Truffaut' doc.
- Shoot the Piano Player 1960
- Jules and Jim 1962
- Day for Night 1973
- The Last Metro 1980
- Hitchcock/Truffaut 2015

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Holy! Aronofsky used to be my favorite director, so I think you're in for a real treat! A solid run of 4 amazing films, until the very mixed "Noah". Some of his scripts are definitely more referential and challenging (I think most people didn't "get" The Fountain, for example) but the filmmaking is just phenomenal. Enjoy!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
With my review of 'Darling' done, it's taken me over 3-months to get through my last list of 25 films by 5 Directors.  I think picking 20 subtitled films was a bit too much.  I'm not always in the mood to concentrate that extra bit harder :D .

Céline Sciamma, Agnès Varda and John Schlesinger are now my new favourite directors.  It'll be no great surprise to many but Sciamma's 'Portrait of a Lady on Fire' is a modern masterpiece ('Tomboy' too). I loved everything by Varda but her 'Faces Places' and 'Vagabond' were my favourites.  Schlesinger's 'The Day of the Locust' blew my mind but 'Midnight Cowboy' and 'Marathon Man' are great too.  I didn't positively love anything from Mario Bava and Jean-Luc Godard but I suppose 'Blood and Black Lace' and 'Band of Outsiders' would be my picks from them.

For my 8th 5x5 list of films I've never seen before (https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/list/5-directors-5-films-part-viii/) I'm going with:

Stanley Kubrick - I've watched all his other films multiple times but never seen these three. Plus two sequels to Kubrick movies. I plan to watch Kubrick's early short docs as well.
- Fear and Desire 1953
- Killer’s Kiss 1955
- Lolita 1962
- 2010 1984
- Doctor Sleep 2019

John Carpenter - The last 5 John Carpenter films I've never seen (including one he wrote). Hopefully there are some good movies in there.
- Eyes of Laura Mars 1978
- Someone’s Watching Me! 1978
- Memoirs of an Invisible Man 1992
- Body Bags 1993
- The Ward 2010

Ingmar Bergman - A more or less random selection of his more famous/acclaimed films.
- Through a Glass Darkly 1961
- Winter Light 1963
- Persona 1966
- Hour of the Wolf 1968
- Cries and Whispers 1972

Darren Aronofsky - I only really caught onto his work with 'The Wrestler', so I missed out on these other 5, which completes his filmography for me.
- Pi 1998
- Requiem for a Dream 2000
- The Fountain 2006
- Black Swan 2010
- Noah 2014

Francois Truffaut - Time to explore more of my Truffaut blu-ray boxset, plus I fancy seeing that 'Hitchcock/Truffaut' doc.
- Shoot the Piano Player 1960
- Jules and Jim 1962
- Day for Night 1973
- The Last Metro 1980
- Hitchcock/Truffaut 2015

Just wanted to correct you, Kubrick didn’t do 2010. It was directed by Peter Hyams.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
TM2YC said:

- Fear and Desire 1953
- Killer’s Kiss 1955
- Lolita 1962
- 2010 1984
- Doctor Sleep 2019

Just wanted to correct you, Kubrick didn’t do 2010. It was directed by Peter Hyams.

I think he's including 2010, and Doctor Sleep, as the two sequels to Kubrick's films.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Q2 said:
TM2YC said:

- Fear and Desire 1953
- Killer’s Kiss 1955
- Lolita 1962
- 2010 1984
- Doctor Sleep 2019

I think he's including 2010, and Doctor Sleep, as the two sequels to Kubrick's films.

Oh yeah, I suppose if I’d actually read everything I would have known that. My bad.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Frantic Canadian said:
Q2 said:
TM2YC said:

- Fear and Desire 1953
- Killer’s Kiss 1955
- Lolita 1962
- 2010 1984
- Doctor Sleep 2019

Oh yeah, I suppose if I’d actually read everything I would have known that. My bad.

I almost missed it myself. Was going to correct him about Doctor Sleep.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:

Yep, just widening the net a little. Unless I'm mistaken, those two are the only sequels to Kubrick movies?  I've also listed a doc about Truffaut, rather than one he shot himself.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Some good ones there. I'm going to be caretaking my sister for the next couple weeks after she has surgery, and will be taking full advantage of her Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime accounts.  On your list, squint real hard (or not at all) and see if you can spot from which film Tarantino stole "was a little influenced by" the overall structure (and much else) for Kill Bill.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
^Some good ones there. I'm going to be caretaking my sister for the next couple weeks after she has surgery, and will be taking full advantage of her Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime accounts.  On your list, squint real hard (or not at all) and see if you can spot from which film Tarantino stole "was a little influenced by" the overall structure (and much else) for Kill Bill.

I need to re-watch Kill Bill 1&2 so I might as well compare them :) .

<hr style="border: 1px solid white;" />

That's my last 5x5 list completed, in only 5 weeks.  A 2nd national Covid lockdown was great for move watching... bad for everything else :( .

Of the last 5 Kubrick related films I watched, I think 'Killer's Kiss' was the only one I'd recommend ('2010' was fun too).  The last 5 John Carpenter movies were better than I thought they'd be, 'Someone’s Watching Me!', or 'Eyes of Laura Mars' would be my pick.  The 5 Bergman films were a chore, I don't think I like his mopey films generally but I suppose 'Persona' and 'Hour of the Wolf' were the more tolerable ones.  The final 5 Darren Aronofsky films were a mixed bag, from the sublime ('Pi') to the ridiculous ('The Fountain') with the other three being memorable but flawed to a greater or lesser degree.  I enjoyed Francois Truffaut's 5 the most, 'Day for Night' is a total masterpiece, with 'The Last Metro' a close second.

For my next and 9th 5x5 list I'm challenging myself to watch these 25 movies:

Luis Bunuel - 4 of Bunuel's most celebrated films and the 2018 animated biopic.
- The Young One 1960
- Viridiana 1961
- Tristana 1970
- The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 1972
- Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles 2018

Steve McQueen - The 5 films comprising McQueen's new BBC/Amazon "Small Axe" anthology.
- Mangrove 2020
- Lovers Rock 2020
- Red, White and Blue 2020
- Alex Wheatle 2020
- Education 2020

David Fincher - These 5 films complete his filmography for me, including his latest.
- The Game 1997
- Panic Room 2002
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 2008
- Gone Girl 2014
- Mank 2020

Sofia Coppola - Time to crack open my SC DVD boxset and see her new film too.
- Marie Antoinette 2006
- The Bling Ring 2013
- A Very Murray Christmas 2015
- The Beguiled 2017
- On the Rocks 2020

Miyazaki(s) - The last 3 films I've yet to see by Hayao Miyazaki, plus his son Goro's two films for Studio Ghibli.
- Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro 1979
- Castle in the Sky 1986
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 1984
- Tales from Earthsea 2006
- From Up on Poppy Hill 2011

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
According to Letterboxd I watched 554 films in 2020.  Lockdown time was good for something.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
According to Letterboxd, I logged 399 films last year, albeit that includes shorts, miniseries, and such. Excluding those, as well as rewatches...

After many grueling hours over the past couple days, I've listed and ranked all 217 films that I first watched in 2020. All but a couple I've also reviewed, if that interests anyone (forewarning: the early ones are rough).

Doubt I'll outdo myself in 2021 (let's hope we never have this much free time - at least under these circumstances - again...), but I'm looking forward to tackling whatever fraction of the 1,000+ films in my Watchlist, which I've already started doing with La La Land!

And I've been planning a similar thing, Scrib, so I will take you up on that. My list only contains unwatched BRs for now, but I think I'll also add some films that I've just been meaning to get around to for a while. Good luck to us both!

Top Bottom