• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Legend Beyond the Pines

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am currently working on an edit of The Place Beyond the Pines which intercuts the 1st and 3rd acts. I've mostly preserved Luke Glanton's arc whilst keeping about 1/2 of Jason's part, and cutting Avery Cross' arc entirely. The edit starts off with Jason finding out who his father is, and scenes from both Luke & Jason which resemble one another are played back-to-back.

Changes/new order (spoilers for TPBPT and this edit):
  • Film starts with a cut-down version of the scene with Jason & AJ in the park. All previous Jason scenes are removed.
  • Next is Jason asking Kofi about his father, and googling him. Cut Jason scenes in between.
  • Then the opening with Luke plays out the same, along with the following scenes (meeting Rowena, finding out he has a son, Church scene, meeting Robin).
  • Jason meets Robin. Sees pictures of father and Avery Cross.
  • Luke's first bank robbery. Cut the dog.
  • AJ invites Jason to a party. Cut down to remove references to a failed drug purchase (which I cut). Previous Jason scenes (following googling his father) are cut. Jason robs a drug store.
  • Luke scenes (second bank robbery, attacks Kofi, imprisoned). Cut Luke & Rowena in bed. Moved the scene with the baby and the photo to the end.
  • Jason arrives at the party. Trimmed party. Sees picture of Avery Cross, attacks AJ, is beaten.
  • Luke scenes (pays back Robin for bailing him out, gives money to Rowena, Robin dismantles Luke's bike).
  • Jason in hospital calls his mother a liar, then disappears.
  • Luke threatens Robin, takes his bike, fails his robbery, is killed.
  • Jason buys a gun, attacks AJ, abducts Avery, takes his wallet, and leaves with Avery's car. Sends his mother a picture from Avery's wallet.
  • Cut to scene with Jason, Rowena, and baby Jason taking the picture.
  • Jason buys a motorbike and rides off.

A first draft of the edit is largely done, just need to render. Current run-time is 1hr 13mins, down from 2hrs 16mins (both excluding credits).
First two minutes (downloads disabled): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vhyjYV6C97NMTQ5-BbEd4412XREWeYNB/view

Poster:
Pines legend poster 4.png

Once I'm done with this one, I'm considering rescoring this edit with Outrun/Synthwave music, similar to Drive.

Update, 15 June 2021: Edit is now complete.

Last edited:

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting. On-the-whole, I loved this movie, but found the last act to be almost unbearable due to the new characters. Wonder if interweaving them throughout the runtime, as opposed to having the final 30-40 minutes play with them non-stop, would help with my tolerance. Coincidentally I recently bought the movie off eBay, and it just arrived today! Looking forward to checking this edit out.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting. On-the-whole, I loved this movie, but found the last act to be almost unbearable due to the new characters. Wonder if interweaving them throughout the runtime, as opposed to having the final 30-40 minutes play with them non-stop, would help with my tolerance. Coincidentally I recently bought the movie off eBay, and it just arrived today! Looking forward to checking this edit out.
I agree that the 2nd and 3rd acts were a lot slower than the 1st. I think you'll like this edit as there are fewer characters introduced from the 3rd act (Jason, AJ, and Avery at the end). In total, there are 13mins from the 3rd act scattered throughout Luke's arc, and then 10mins at the end of Luke's arc to wrap things up. So in total, the 3rd act is reduced from 44mins to ~24mins.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The second act was actually my favourite, strangely enough. Not that the first was at all lacking, I guess I just like Bradley Cooper and the procedural stuff marginally more than Ryan Gosling and the criminal stuff in this instance. As for the third act, Dane DeHaan wasn't great either, but Emory Cohen - with that accent and all his 'quirks' - was honestly one of the most insufferable characters I've ever seen in a film. Twenty minutes being cut from that final stretch seems like it would do the trick!

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The second act was actually my favourite, strangely enough. Not that the first was at all lacking, I guess I just like Bradley Cooper and the procedural stuff marginally more than Ryan Gosling and the criminal stuff in this instance. As for the third act, Dane DeHaan wasn't great either, but Emory Cohen - with that accent and all his 'quirks' - was honestly one of the most insufferable characters I've ever seen in a film. Twenty minutes being cut from that final stretch seems like it would do the trick!
I felt that the 2nd act was strong on its own, and Cooper was great throughout this film, it's just that the arc felt a little disjointed from the rest of the film. Yeah Emory/AJ was incredibly irritating, I worked hard to cut him as much as possible. Rest assured, he barely speaks in this edit.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched a first draft of this today, was pretty happy with it. Made a few minor audio adjustments & cuts. This edit is done, however I'm having problems with stuttering in the rendered video, not sure how to fix this. Vegas thinks the video is 25fps, but MediaInfo says 23.976fps, which seems more likely since it's an American film. I've tried many different render settings but have been unable the stuttering. If I can fix this, I'll upload a final render and submit to the IFDb.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This might sound obvious but have you added any other video (stock footage, title cards etc) to the project? Could that have tricked it into think the whole edit was a different FPS? I had this issue with lightworks when I added some stock footage to my Driver edit.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
in my case no, the first thing I added was the rip. Vegas is adamant it is in 25fps. I did some reading around and got some advice, and realised the issue is that the BR rip was VFR and not CFR, which confuses Vegas and causes the stuttering. So I'm going to convert the video to CFR and replace the existing file in the timeline, that should fix things.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is now complete and submitted. DM me for the link.

Top Bottom