• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last Action Hero - a youngy94 edit

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tTygmoD.jpg

Fanedit Title: Last Action Hero - a youngy94 edit
Faneditor Name: youngy94
Tagline: "The Big Ticket Of '93."
Original Movie Title: Last Action Hero
Genre: Action
Fanedit Type: FanFix
Original Release Date: 1993
Original Running Time: 130
Fanedit Running Time: 110
Time Cut: 20

Brief Synopsis:
Danny Madigan is a huge fan of Jack Slater, an action hero played by Arnold Schwarzenegger. When his best friend, Nick the projectionist, gives him a magic ticket to the newest Jack Slater movie, Danny is transported into Slater's world, his number one hero where the good guys always win. It's a dream come true for Danny, but things take a turn for the worse when one of Slater's enemies, Benedict the hit man, gets a hold of the ticket and ends up in Danny's world. Slater and Danny must join forces to stop him at all costs before it'll be the end of Jack Slater.

Intention:
To remove all the unnecessary dialogue, silly attempt at humour and all scenes where Danny tries to convince Slater he's in a movie. So it will be like how you'd expect having a dream with your favourite action star would go, Danny will be along for the ride and will work with Slater to solve the case using his knowledge and enjoy all the action that comes along with it.

Cut dialogue between Danny & Nick
Trimmed car chase
Cut dialogue between Danny & Slater
Trimmed Danny & Slater walking into the police station
Cut Slater on the phone to his ex wife
Cut dialogue between Dekker & Slater
Cut Danny & Slater in the garage
Cut Danny & Slater at the video store
Cut dog's stacking on each other
Cut Danny & Slater walking up to Slater's house
Cut Danny talking to himself
Cut dialogue between Slater & Whitney
Cut Slater's "don't give up your day job"
Cut Slater's "got to catch the red eye"
Cut Danny on his bike & crashing
Rearranged scenes - Benedict at his house & explosion at Slater's
Trimmed Slater getting fired
Trimmed dialogue between Danny & Slater at the house
Cut Slater telling Danny to stay in the car
Trimmed Danny talking when he has the gun
Cut Slater talking about his hand
Cut Danny & Slater's dialogue while playing chicken
Trimmed dialogue between Nick & Slater
Trimmed dialogue between Slater, Danny & his mum
Trimmed Arnold talking to the press
Cut multiple actors talking to the press

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is my 5th favorite Arnold movie, and would hate to see a single moment get the axe. However, I completely understand people's qualms with it. So it'll be interesting to see what you plan to do with it. FWIW, I didn't find that kid nearly as annoying as a certain other kid in another Arnold movie where Arnold plays a surrogate father to the boy.

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tylerdurden389 said:
This is my 5th favorite Arnold movie, and would hate to see a single moment get the axe. However, I completely understand people's qualms with it. So it'll be interesting to see what you plan to do with it. FWIW, I didn't find that kid nearly as annoying as a certain other kid in another Arnold movie where Arnold plays a surrogate father to the boy.

I personally didn't mind this movie either, but it got a lot of bad reviews which I'm surprised about so I'm going to fix what was complained about and see how it looks after all the edits I make

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is an edit I made to the opening of the movie, the movie now starts with Danny running in the rain which cuts the run time of the movie a good amount. This opening is not guaranteed as it depends on how long the movie goes after I finish editing, I will add back in some of the opening if the run time is not long enough

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tylerdurden389 said:
... and would hate to see a single moment get the axe

I'm sure Jack Slater agrees with you, but let's see what Ripper has to say about it.

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
By cutting out everything before this scene, we lose a lot of important stuff. How Jack lost his son, setting up the Ripper as a past villain, Danny losing his father and living with his mom in a shoebox apartment, Danny's love the for Slater franchise, and his friendship with Nick the projectionist. How he got the key to get out of the handcuffs later on (his altercation with the burglar).

And of course Arnold as Hamlet.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
youngy94 said:
Here is an edit I made to the opening of the movie, the movie now starts with Danny running in the rain which cuts the run time of the movie a good amount.

I can only second @"tylerdurden389".

Your stated aim is to remove unnecessary dialogue and for me far too much of what you've cut serves to establish narrative beats later in the film. Since you said this reduces the runtime I can only assume you wouldn't be incorporating the cut footage later on as a flashback.

I'm excited by this project but this didn't work for me I'm afraid.

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it  :)

I will reinstate the cut footage which I was thinking I was going to have to do anyways as I have cut a bit from the rest of the movie where I'm up to and still have more to do which would have made the movie to short, so putting this back in would have made the run time a good amount

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is another 3 cuts I've made, the first one I cut when Nick gives Danny the ticket and tells him it's his then cuts to Danny in the cinema ready to watch the movie, the second one cuts from Slater saying is line to him and Danny in the car, the third one cuts out Slater giving his badge to Danny and his whole dialogue so now he just drives straight into the driveway

youngy94

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am now officially finishing up this movie and will be taking a hiatus from editing until early October, I have decided this is something I need to do as I am currently feeling burnt out from doing so many movies in such a short period of time. As of finishing this movie I have now done 6 movies in 3 months and I have unfortunately lost the some of the drive and passion to edit from feeling burnt out, I knew I should have taken time away after my Kruger edit as I was feeling it towards the end of that but I kept on editing and moved onto to Doom which I wasn't really into it and it unfortunately showed.

So I will be doing my last few edits today and then this movie is done, I have currently cut out about 20mins through several scenes being either cut or trimmed. So by the end of today I will be uploading my movie so if anyone is interested in seeing my edit feel free to PM me for the link, I would also appreciate any feedback to help improve my edit if I ever do a version 2 in the future.

I also want to say thank you to everyone that has helped me with feedback on any of my movies over the past 3 months, it helped me improve my editing and I also learned a few techniques to use in future edits. So thank you everyone and I will see you all in 6 weeks  :)

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry , i'm a late comer to the chat...I personally always loved Danny trying to convince Jack he was in a movie  :)

Enjoy your rest...i have often taken little breaks from editing certain projects...(see my still incomplete Mandy edit)...its good to go and refuel and sometimes your edits always end up better because you have had time to reflect on the process and narrative to see if an edit really works or not...we can all get scene blinded.

hoihoi8

Reaction score
Trophy Points
One of my fav movies growing up. Now enjoy it more for nostalgia. The pacing in this movie is way off. The climax at the funeral and the tone of the second half being in dark NY really almost make this feel like two different movies. Hoping someday someone can smooth out this movie better with editing. Interesting in watching yours!

Top Bottom