• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Large format cinema

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A subject that has long interested me but has been near-extinct (with regards to celluloid) in my time: would be interested to hear other people's opinions and experiences, here are a few suggested talking points.
  • What experiences have you had watching large format films (e.g. made in 65mm and/or projected in 70 mm) at the cinema?
  • Do you notice a difference in digitally-shot films when larger sensors (e.g. Alexa LF) are used?
  • Do you appreciate any differences when watching at home with Full HD or 4K setups?
  • What are your favourite large format fan-edits?
The prompt for all this? Realised that today is the 70th anniversary of the premiere of the film that started it all, wonder what it must have been like for audiences way back in 1952.

I watched The Dark Knight Rises on a large form screen (dome). The visual screen surrounded the audience and went to the edges of peripheral view. The image on the sides was a bit blurry, but that opening scene with the airplane felt like I was floating in the air. It was wild. Sadly they've since renovated the theater and it's now just a huge flat IMAX screen.....
810fe6879c2fc730f4a2ba3cafbd4a99.jpg

omnimax-14*1200xx2000-1125-0-104.jpg

omni.jpg

How I envy you, that auditorium looks amazing, shame it's been changed, 15/70 IMAX perchance?

I would have imagined that digital cinema would make unusual screen shapes easier to handle, the National Media Museum in Bradford uses a single 4K projector most of the time at their Cinerama theatre. The prints are only broken out for special occasions, wish I had the chance to attend the upcoming Widescreen Weekend, might have time next year.

The most "special" experience I've had so far was seeing a 50th anniversary screening of 2001, the 70 mm "unrestored" version, but while the picture was great the seats were not!

Back
Top Bottom