• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Laptop problem

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A while ago, the display on my laptop,  broke.  Ever since, I've had it plugged into an external monitor and it has worked that way since.  But today, my laptop started to act strange. Programs would work slow then stop responding.  I tried to open the taskmaster, it wouldn't open.  I tried alt control delete, that wouldn't work. I tried restarting, that wouldn't  work.  Eventually, I was forced to hit the power button.  But now, it won't get to a point where it will boot windows 10.  The thing is, the external monitor won't kick in until windows boots.  So right now, it won't boot windows and I can't see what the computer is displaying.  Any advice would be helpful.

It's not a ton of information to work from. When you say the display broke, do you mean it's physically damaged, or did the screen just stop displaying picture? Had you noticed this sort of non-responsiveness before the display problems cropped up?

Minus the display issue, it sounds like hard drive failure to me, which there's not much of a fix for beyond backing everything up as soon as you can get it running again, then replacing the hard drive with a new one, reinstalling the operating system and restoring your backup.

But like I said, it's not a ton of information to work from.

Try holding down whichever of the F keys will take you into your bootmenu and select safe mode (F1, F12, F2???). Try unplugging any all peripherals.

What make and model of laptop?

Do you get a blinking code near the power button? If so, what is the sequence?

Sounds like one of a few things:
Bios issue
Boot disk error
Bad update
GPU failure
Hard Drive failure
Ram failure

ChainsawAsh said:
It's not a ton of information to work from. When you say the display broke, do you mean it's physically damaged, or did the screen just stop displaying picture? Had you noticed this sort of non-responsiveness before the display problems cropped up?

Minus the display issue, it sounds like hard drive failure to me, which there's not much of a fix for beyond backing everything up as soon as you can get it running again, then replacing the hard drive with a new one, reinstalling the operating system and restoring your backup.

But like I said, it's not a ton of information to work from.

The display is physically damaged.  Like I said, I’ve had it plugged into an external monitor.  The problem, the external monitor only kicks in when it boots windows, and it is not getting to the point of booting windows.

TM2YC said:
Try holding down whichever of the F keys will take you into your bootmenu and select safe mode (F1, F12, F2???). Try unplugging any all peripherals.

I don’t which f key that would be.  Even if I did, I can’t select safe mode because I don’t have display until windows boots.

DigModiFicaTion said:
What make and model of laptop?

Do you get a blinking code near the power button? If so, what is the sequence?

Sounds like one of a few things:
Bios issue
Boot disk error
Bad update
GPU failure
Hard Drive failure
Ram failure

It is an HP, I don’t know the model number.  There is no blinking code.

Warbler said:
TM2YC said:

I don’t which f key that would be.  Even if I did, I can’t select safe mode because I don’t have display until windows boots.

You could google it, or just use trial and elimination. Start with F2. Hold down F2 and then click the power button and keep holding F2 until it loads up a menu, or it's been 60 seconds-ish. The menu may well bring on your monitor. It wouldn't hurt to try?

In my experience old VGA monitors (pre HDMI) and pre-USB input devices will work instantly on boot (the newer devices often wait til windows has loaded to begin functioning), so if you have any of those lying around (and ports for them on your laptop), try them instead.

Also, is your laptop HDMI? If so could plug it into an HDMI TV, if you have one. That would eliminate the possibility that the problem isn't just your monitor.

The problem isn’t the monitor, the problem is getting the computer to a point where the external will kick in.  It connected to the laptop via hdmi cable.

Now the computer seems to be turning itself off.

I've had a number of HP computers and they seem susceptible to GPU failures due to poor heat sink and ventilation engineering. My GPU literally floated off the board because the unit got so hot it unsoldered the connection. Can you hear the hard drive moving (assuming you aren't using an ssd)? Sounds like an issue on your board to me.

I think I can feel some motion around where the hard drive is, and a quiet hum.

Well, my laptop problem is solved.  I got a new one for Christmas.   :)

Back
Top Bottom