• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Laptop advice

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My old (maybe 10 years old/more?) Asus laptop has finally given up the ghost. The battery went first a while back, and even with a replacement, it still failed to hold a charge and had to be plugged in constantly. Then it stopped connecting wirelessly, so had to be tethered to the router full-time. Now it just won't turn on. Farewell, good and faithful servant.

My daughter has a Chromebook given to her by her school. She'll be off to college in August and I don't think she wants it. I don't know much about Chromebooks and have never used hers so have a few quick questions from any available helpful posters.

Basically, I need for a laptop to connect to my WD My Cloud Home, and for it to be able to run a Plex server. I need to be able to access mini SD cards and I would prefer a DVD drive. I don't game online nor do anything else that requires super-fast speeds or amazing graphics.

To keep things cheap, I was wondering whether my best bet would be to buy her Chromecast and add an external SD reader (if it doesn't have one) and external DVD drive. If she's not willing to sell, would it still make more sense to get a low-end laptop and add these separately? Looks like DVD drives are rare on laptops these days.

We're currently doing up our house to sell it next year, so my budget is way low, as the laptop is low priority (I can live without it, I just don't want to). All-in would be about $300 tops. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Buy used. Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp, Craigslist, Ebay. I have two 4th Gen i7 quad core laptops that combined are slightly more than your budget. If you are patient you can find a good computer for super cheap. A decent i5 laptop with a dvd drive can be had for under $200 easily. My advice, stay away from chromebooks.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
My advice, stay away from chromebooks.

Thanks. Even though I'm considering buying my daughter's old Chromebook, I hadn't thought about looking around for other 2nd hand stuff. Cheers.

BTW, why do suggest steering clear of Chromebooks?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
BTW, why do suggest steering clear of Chromebooks?

They're basically a large phone with arguably less power and usability. If everything you do is in the cloud you could get away with it. Processors are super slow stop no multitasking. If you've used an i3 laptop with a standard hd that's the speed you can expect, even with the chromebook ssd.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You'd be better off connecting yourself to the computer (using the usb slot of your choice) and doing the processing with your own brain.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
0oqATGn.gif

obertmart

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A little story about chromebook in college. All our class got them. Free. And no one have used them. Everybody had to but a personal one 

Top Bottom