• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Kotor2 trouble shooting

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For some reason, I decided to try and install my old CD-rom version of Kotor2 (Knights of the Old Republic 2).

Apparently, it is very difficult to get the game to work with Windows 10.   I have tried everything.   I've adjusted the config file, disabled movies, ran it in compatibility mode for Windows XP.  Nothing.  It always crashes at the same point.  I run the game, it gets to the screen where I can select new game or load game or options, etc.   I select a new game and create a new character, the opening crawl plays and then it crashes.  Its like when it tries to switch from movie mode to play mode, it has trouble and crashes.  Not sure what else to do, nothing seems to work.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.  Thanks in advance.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I had this problem with the Steam version. I believe you have to do something to disable the cutscenes. I forget exactly, you may be better off googling it.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried that, it didn't work.  I'm beginning to think it just won't run on my computer.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It won't.

Go to GOG.com and buy the game from them. It'll come as a DRM-free .exe file that's patched to run on modern operating systems. And now you'll have an .exe installer you can keep forever and use on as many PCs as you like.

If you're not a gamer that might sound sketchy, but it isn't - GOG is owned by CDProjektRed, the developers of the Witcher games.

Don't buy it from Steam, that doesn't have the patches GOG's version has, and almost certainly has DRM so you're locked into using it with Steam on your Steam account.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
It won't.

Go to GOG.com and buy the game from them. It'll come as a DRM-free .exe file that's patched to run on modern operating systems. And now you'll have an .exe installer you can keep forever and use on as many PCs as you like.

If you're not a gamer that might sound sketchy, but it isn't - GOG is owned by CDProjektRed, the developers of the Witcher games.

Don't buy it from Steam, that doesn't have the patches GOG's version has, and almost certainly has DRM so you're locked into using it with Steam on your Steam account.

Do you know if The Sith Lord Restoration Content mod still work with the GOG version?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
ChainsawAsh said:
It won't.

Do you know if The Sith Lord Restoration Content mod still work with the GOG version?

I'm not familiar with the game, but some cursory googling brought this up, instructions seem to indicate it works with the GOG version. 
https://deadlystream.com/files/file/578-tsl-restored-content-mod/

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
It won't.

So I have buy a game I already bought years ago.    Does GOG.com have the legal rights to sell the game?  For that matter does Steam?   I will have to see how much the GOG.com version costs.  I am not made of money at the moment.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like it costs $10.00 on GOG.com.  I will consider it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GOG are awesome generally. It never ceases to surprise me how they've got away with giving consumers what they want, how they want it, everything they want and for a price they want, totally DRM free. Surely there must be laws to prevent their kind of behavior :D .

If you don't want to spend $10 and can stand to wait. Sign up for GOG and stick Kotor2 on your wishlist. If/when GOG have a sale, or a discount that includes your wishlisted item(s), they'll automatically send you an email to let you know. I got Kotor2 from GOG for $2 in a sale in 2015 (I've not even got round to playing it ;) ). In fact I got most every 90s/00s classic SW game in a big bundle for $60. They are always having sales and always doing discounts and offers, maybe you'll get lucky and Kotor2 will be included in one soon.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I may have to look into GOG more, sounds amazing.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:
So I have buy a game I already bought years ago.

Yep. Welcome to trying to get older games to run on modern equipment.

Does GOG.com have the legal rights to sell the game?

Of course they do. That's why I made it a point to mention who owns GOG.

For that matter does Steam?

What? Of course Steam does. Both of those are like asking if iTunes and Amazon have the legal rights to sell or rent out movies.

I will have to see how much the GOG.com version costs.  I am not made of money at the moment.

Understandable, but as you've already discovered, GOG is usually very reasonable price-wise, especially if you use the wishlist feature and wait out a sale. Pretty sure I got KOTOR1 and KOTOR2 from GOG for $2.50 each a while back on a sale.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, it is just that I would expect to see mouse ears on anywebsite that has the right legal right to sell a Star Wars game.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Again, iTunes and Amazon sell plenty of Disney and Star Wars related stuff and it's perfectly legal for them, too.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, GOG's price went down to $3 and I got it.  Installed it, started it up, it crashed again, same exact spot.   :(

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was able to find a patch file and now the game works!  yay! :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Continuing from the discussion earlier in this thread, virtually all the old classic Star Wars games are 75% off (and totally DRM free as usual) on GOG.com for the next two days: https://www.gog.com/promo/star_wars_sale

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Continuing from the discussion earlier in this thread, virtually all the old classic Star Wars games are 75% off (and totally DRM free as usual) on GOG.com for the next two days: https://www.gog.com/promo/star_wars_sale

Oooh! I tried installing KotOR 1 on my Windows 10 a few weeks ago to no avail. This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Thanks so much!  :)

Top Bottom