• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

KONG by The Man Behind The Mask

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
kongcoverforum.jpg

Original title: King Kong, extended edition
New Title: KONG.

Original runtime: 200 min.
Amount of time cutted (including part of the credits): 94 min.
Amount of time added: 2 min.
New runtime: 108 min.

I am a huge fan of King Kong.
The 1933 original is one of the movies I surely saw more than 30 times in the early 80's. You know, all the children love to watch and rewatch the same thing again and again. For me it was King Kong (1933) and Star Wars.
When I saw the 2005 version I loved it. It was not too long for me and the DVD extended version (which I used for this edit) neither.
But I totaly understand people "complaining" about the lenght of this movie, the useless scenes and all.
Another usual complain was the choice of Jack Black as one of the lead actor. But franckly I did not know much about Jack Black when I first saw the movie (he was not that famous in france back then, at least not to me) and I found him good. The kind of character we like to hate.

So why editing KING KONG if I like it?

- Because I think a radical short version of this movie is needed. Several fanedits already exist but I wanted to match King Kong 2005 lenght to the 1933 version. So I tried to find the 2005 scenes that fit the purpose of the 1933 ones.
- I also think Peter Jackson has gone a bit berserk with all the creatures attacks. They, most of it, are still in my edit, but heavily trimmed.
- They arrive at Skull Island in about 20 minutes while it takes an eternity in the original.
- Driscoll now only share one or two lines of dialogue with Ann. And I think it still works well.
- I also added a minute of the original 1933 score somewhere in the movie.
- the 2 deleted scenes are not as good quality as the rest of the movie. Sorry for that. But they are only 1 minute each, and they are watchable.

This is not a grindhouse edit this time! No special effects added, no gags or twisted ending: this is Peter Jackson's King Kong fast-paced.

SL NTSC DVD
Bonus:
- Trailer
- Trailer 33'
- 2 minutes of fanediting.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
EDITED:
- I also added a minute of the original 1933 score somewhere in the movie.
- the 2 deleted scenes are not as good quality as the rest of the movie. Sorry for that. But they are only 1 minute each, and they are watchable.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice job.
My son and I will really enjoy watching this.
He's 7 yrs old and loved the Jaws and SW grindhouse edits.
I told him that "the same guy" was working on KK so I know he's really looking forward to this as well.

btw, is that awesome cover included on the DVD?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zeppelinrox said:
Nice job.
My son and I will really enjoy watching this.
He's 7 yrs old and loved the Jaws and SW grindhouse edits.
I told him that "the same guy" was working on KK so I know he's really looking forward to this as well.

btw, is that awesome cover included on the DVD?

You can download it on the fanedit page when it's out. Yes.
Thank you for your interest, but tell your son that it is not a fun grindhouse edit this time. ;)

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh he knows.
He's real happy that it won't take donkey(kong?)'s years to get to the island :smile:

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loving the edit so far, but a big ol' continuity error (or so it looks like to me) is that Choi dies twice. He gets eaten by the giant sea monster and falls into a giant pit. Or am I incorrect on this?

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh my god. I am so pumped to watch this.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldiablosuizo said:
Loving the edit so far, but a big ol' continuity error (or so it looks like to me) is that Choi dies twice. He gets eaten by the giant sea monster and falls into a giant pit. Or am I incorrect on this?

No he's not eaten by the monster fish. Andy "Gollum" Serkis saves his ass in the next couple of shots.
Choi can't swim that's why we see him disappear into the water.
I did not cut any more explicative shots about what happen to Choi. It's all there.
I only cutted underwater shots about other characters.

Glad you like the edit so far anyway :)

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow. I missed that part (obviously).

Really, really, really great edit, Mr. TMBTM, sir. Flawless editing. While I would have preferred more character, it's not my edit, and you made something that was almost invisible in terms of cuts (the deleted scenes, but you said you did the best).

Really great work. Really. Really great. Really great work. Did I say how great this was?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ha ha, thank you eldiablosuizo.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also forgot to thanks Boon for his GREAT technical help on this fanedit.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You don't mention any "other format" release (xvid or h264) in the original post, so I have to ask, will there be one?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emphatic said:
You don't mention any "other format" release (xvid or h264) in the original post, so I have to ask, will there be one?
I can make an Xvid, sure.
Probably via megaupload, just as the new Xvid of my JAWS edit.
But I don't want my Xvid to be more than 1G (for relatively short movie), so the quality should be good but not amazing.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
But I don't want my Xvid to be more than 1G (for relatively short movie), so the quality should be good but not amazing.

Much obliged. If possible, use the PAL format, so it's shorter? Or will you simply convert your completed NTSC-DVD? If so, then I'll just get the DVD instead, unless there's a huge demand from the community for you to upload it. Thanks a lot, looking forward to seeing this.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emphatic said:
Much obliged. If possible, use the PAL format, so it's shorter? Or will you simply convert your completed NTSC-DVD? If so, then I'll just get the DVD instead, unless there's a huge demand from the community for you to upload it. Thanks a lot, looking forward to seeing this.
I'm actualy encoding the NTSC version to Xvid already.
I know I said I could make it PAL but I think most of the people would prefer the NTSC lenght with no "high pitched" sound.
Plus a PAL version would requierd new big encoding (I made a lossless NTSC encoding directely from premiere pro to VirtualDub via a frame server, so I don't have a lossless PAL AVI, nor a PAL mepg2 in store.)
I could make it but I'm not sure it worths it (?)

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I'm actualy encoding the NTSC version to Xvid already.
I know I said I could make it PAL but I think most of the people would prefer the NTSC lenght with no "high pitched" sound.
Plus a PAL version would requierd new big encoding (I made a lossless NTSC encoding directely from premiere pro to VirtualDub via a frame server, so I don't have a lossless PAL AVI, nor a PAL mepg2 in store.)
I could make it but I'm not sure it worths it (?)

Ah, okay. Thanks a lot!

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:

I would really appreciate that too, I don't need the quality to be amazing - in fact, if you did it less than 1gb and put it on megaupload, you could do it in a single link, which'd be great as my rapidshare account has expired.

How long do you think it'll be to get it up?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Joelio said:
in fact, if you did it less than 1gb and put it on megaupload, you could do it in a single link, which'd be great as my rapidshare account has expired.
<public service announcement>if you're now stuck with free RS, try jdownloader</public service announcement>

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
<public service announcement>if you're now stuck with free RS, try jdownloader</public service announcement>

I use JDownloader. But it's still not letting me do them simultaneously.

Top Bottom