• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

KONG by The Man Behind The Mask

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Xvid is uploading. Should be avalaible today or tomorrow if no error.
Quality is quite good I believe.

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Xvid is uploading. Should be avalaible today or tomorrow if no error.
Quality is quite good I believe.

Awesome. Thanks man.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Joelio said:
TV's Frink said:
<public service announcement>if you're now stuck with free RS, try jdownloader</public service announcement>
I use JDownloader. But it's still not letting me do them simultaneously.
I don't understand why that would be a problem:
joebshmoe said:
yeah with jdownloader and free RS i still DL ~4GB a day...
Just sayin'

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Joelio said:
[quote="TV']<public service announcement>if you're now stuck with free RS, try jdownloader</public service announcement>
I use JDownloader. But it's still not letting me do them simultaneously.
I don't understand why that would be a problem:
joebshmoe said:
yeah with jdownloader and free RS i still DL ~4GB a day...
Just sayin'[/quote:eek:db4z2w1]

Because my computer is crap and it crashes spontaneously about three times a day :p

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
***The following is a PARTIAL REVIEW, as I stopped watching when the crew leaves Skull Island.***

I saw PJ's King Kong when it came out, but only recently watched the original for the first time. And, to be honest, I don't really enjoy either version all that much. Sure, the first one is a great film and a classic, but apart from its iconic concepts and effects, it's a lot of action without much heart. I really enjoyed the Ann/Kong relationship in PJ's version, but hated the over-the-top action like the Rex battle and Brontosaurus stampede.

So... onto KONG.

While I missed the Jolson intro, TMBTM's first act to the movie is terrific. It moves along nice and quickly, cuts lots of flab, and gets us to Skull Island with admirable speed.

Then comes that damned slo-mo battle. What was PJ thinking? It may have been trimmed here, but felt just as agonizingly long as in the theatrical. I would have liked far fewer slo-mo shots, and could also have done with a bare minimum of "the natives are quasi-inhuman" cutaways. I'm not one to make big deals out of this sort of thing, but PJ's natives are at the very least borderline offensive, much more so than in the original.

After that, it's pretty good, still cutting lots of flab, though a good deal of ridiculousness survives. Those unfamiliar with the theatrical may find certain elements confusing and/or abrupt, such as the revelation that Kyle Chandler is an action hero rather than any old actor.

I think it was a mistake to cut the Ann/Kong daytime bonding scene, though. Without it, even with the Rex rescue and the sunset, her grief at his capture just doesn't convince. TMBTM's stated goal is to make this as much like the '33 original as possible, but the difference in the Anns' attitudes towards Kong is massive, and it shows.

Finally, I did skip to the ending to see if it had been changed. I think it would have been best to end the picture during the shot of Kong falling. The '33 ending notwithstanding, I just can't take that bloodless, clean corpse at all seriously; it darn near ruins the experience for me.

Technically, this is a terrific edit, and, since it cuts so much of PJ's flab, I feel comfortable calling it the best cut of any Kong yet produced. I'd much rather watch it than the theatrical again, but to really replace PJ's cut, I think the Ann/Kong bonding scenes would have to be restored.

('Course, I'd use intertitles to cover up the deletion of monstrosities such as the still-terrible stampede sequence, but that's just moi! :wink: )

I won't rate this edit because I didn't watch the whole thing, so there you go. Good work, and thanks for the xvid preview!

----------
Since this is a partial review, not sure whether to post it on fanedit.org or not, even with the disclaimer...

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank for the feedback Gaith! :)

Gaith said:
While I missed the Jolson intro, TMBTM's first act to the movie is terrific. It moves along nice and quickly, cuts lots of flab, and gets us to Skull Island with admirable speed.
Thanks

Then comes that damned slo-mo battle. What was PJ thinking? It may have been trimmed here, but felt just as agonizingly long as in the theatrical.
I did not cut that scene as far as I remember. I don't like the slow-mo style much either. But I think I like that scene in its "apocalypto" kind of way. I wanted to cut the native kid scene but the damn rain starts to fall at that moment so I needed to keep it for continuity.

Those unfamiliar with the theatrical may find certain elements confusing and/or abrupt, such as the revelation that Kyle Chandler is an action hero rather than any old actor.
Well, it plays rather like in the theatrical to me. We learn he's an actor, then learn he's a "coward", then learn he can be a hero. I wanted to keep that character story arc.

I think it was a mistake to cut the Ann/Kong daytime bonding scene, though. Without it, even with the Rex rescue and the sunset, her grief at his capture just doesn't convince. TMBTM's stated goal is to make this as much like the '33 original as possible, but the difference in the Anns' attitudes towards Kong is massive, and it shows.
I cutted some Ann's crying when Kong is captured, because it indeed feels a bit too much for my edit, but I could not cut much more without it to be too obvious to my taste. But I agree she don't spend enough time with Kong in my edit to be THAT sad when he's captured. But well, you know, actors and actress are sensitive persons...lol

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I cut (not 'cutted'; wouldn't normally point this out but I think I've seen you use it before :) ) some Ann's crying when Kong is captured, because it indeed feels a bit too much for my edit, but I could not cut much more without it to be too obvious to my taste.
There was more?! :razz: :)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
There was more?! :razz: :)
Just a bit more, yes.
And at the end of the movie. Just before Kong's fall, I also cut some crying and stuffs.

PS: thanks about "cutted", yes I use it quite often. Will try to pay attention to it now.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kong by The Man Behind The Mask

review by boon23

Prologue:
I am a bit late to the party, wanted to watch it last month, but just never felt the necessary motivation to do so. Why? Because it's a King Kong fanedit. I don't love that movie. It is bloated, superficial, has a lot of the "Emmerich Godzilla" effect and simply just tells the plot from the wrong point of view IMO. Other than that it has some truly great moments and a wonderful finale. More was possible, more did not happen. Now I really like TMBTM personally and I think he is a super talented faneditor, so of course I wanted to watch his new fanedit - even though it was King Kong. My expectations were mixed, because I simply could not imagine this movie suddenly being good, when there is still Jack Black in it.

As for all my reviews: this is just my personal opinion of this fanedit. I cannot tell anybody else, if he or she will experience it in the same way or the opposite. So my review is not objective and does not reflect the opinion of fanedit.org.

!!!!This review contains heavy spoilers!!!

The edit:
We get a wonderfully condensed version of the movie. Nothing is missing even though almost half the movie was deleted, which is a truly incredible achievement and just shows how bloated the original was. Gone are all the tedious moments in the beginning, where the characters get introduced for a long time without getting anywhere close to Skull Island, because that's where we want to be. Well, not exactly, there are still too many dinosaurs and too many victims to rescue one person. The reasons for the actions of the people are as odd as they are in the original. But at least we are getting to Kong and Anne quickly, which is nice, because it is just there, where the movie starts to build an emotional atmosphere. What TMBTM took away from these moments was for the truly greater good, without losing one bit of impact. Kong saves Anne from certain death, he is protecting her and taking care of her. While his fascination in an ant-like creature can never be really understood, her reasons to like him are way more obvious. They shared the sunset.
The hunch for Anne is still not great, most of all because I still don't know what I am actually watching. Is it a monster action movie? Is it a love story? Is it an adventure? The scenes are not bad, but what is missing in both the original and the fanedit is the emotional impact. I don't think anything can be done about that, so I just thank TMBTM for making it all shorter.
The part of Denham gets the biggest improvement (by cutting a lot of his scenes). The part of Driscoll loses most of what it had and makes his reasons to do anythign for Anne very obscure. The part of Bruce Baxter almost does not happen anymore.
The New York finale is very well done and absolutely the highlight if this fanedit, except for the "it was beauty that killed the beast" line. I will always hate it and I still do.

editing: 10 of 10 (great editing decisions, no hard cuts, perfect plot even though half the movie is gone.)
entertainment: 7 of 10 (I enjoyed it a lot more than the original, but it's still not a great movie and I hope I will never have to watch it again - the original got a 5 of 10 from me on imdb )

Image and video quality:
Perfect.
Video quality: 10 of 10

Audio editing and audio quality:
audio quality was perfect.
audio editing: 10 of 10
sound quality: 10 of 10
resulting in a 10 of 10 for overall audio

presentation:
The fanedit comes with about everything a good presentation needs. Cool title, self made credits (although not really informative for the changes, they just give us the name of tmbtm), cover art, trailer, a bonus feature (which could have been longer), nice menus.
Great!
9 of 10 for overall presentation

Final result: 8 of 10 (because I stick to my opinion of not rating a movie more than 1 star higher than the overall entertainment was for me.
It's not a great movie now, but truly an improvement over the original. It's a fast paced and entertaining watch and I can recommend this version to anyone who has the need to watch King Kong again. This is the best version there is.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for the review, boon :)
- About Driscoll: I kept some scenes with no dialogue between him and Ann at the begining to show that he feels something for her.
So, yes, they don't talk, they don't kiss, but still I feel it shows that he is in love somehow.
- Yes, the bonus feature could have been longer (it's only two minutes of movie extracts, showing the cuts with few subtitles explaining some things). I did rush it a bit. Will try to make a longer one on my next edit.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The DVD version of this fanedit is now available at Mega.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review [MENTION=17386]Vultural[/MENTION]

Side note;
You said:
Audio - Robust 2-channel. Editing was excellent. I kept listening for the Max Steiner clip but missed it.
The moment where I used the original score is a bit subtle, it's when the boat is approaching Skull Island in the fog, it do not stand long. And I think I mixed it with the music of Jackson's movie cause it blended well. So no wonder you did not catch it.
At 15:18 you hear it quite well.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you.
To others, this is an older edit, but I cannot recommend it enough.
Jackson's version of King Kong was overlong, but TMBTM cut it heavily.
His narrative is tight, and lot of fun.
Well worth seeking out.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This fanedit (released back in 2010) is now at Vimeo.
Check my blog if interested.

IFDB PAGE for more info on it.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally got around to seeing this gem of an edit.  TMBTM you have truly made Jackson's KONG finally roar.  A brilliant edit, and I've left a review on IFDB.  

PS:  We miss you - please come back and start doing more edits :)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Finally got around to seeing this gem of an edit.  TMBTM you have truly made Jackson's KONG finally roar.  A brilliant edit, and I've left a review on IFDB.  

Thanks a lot for the detailed review and for the nice words, man.
I think the few scenes with stuttering frames are deleted scenes put back in the movie. I think I remember having trouble with those.

PS: The thing about making more fanedits is that right now I'm having good fun in making graphic designs for T-shirts, mugs, posters and things like that (sold on print on demand sites). That's pretty all I do in my sparetimes now as it has become a growing passion as strong as making fanedits was. I'd still like to continue my Silent Star Wars fanedits but I don't know when I'll have the time (or when I'll want to take the time!)
Shameless plug: my Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/tmbtm_tshirt.designs/?hl=en

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
LastSurvivor said:

Thanks a lot for the detailed review and for the nice words, man.
I think the few scenes with stuttering frames are deleted scenes put back in the movie. I think I remember having trouble with those.

PS: The thing about making more fanedits is that right now I'm having good fun in making graphic designs for T-shirts, mugs, posters and things like that (sold on print on demand sites). That's pretty all I do in my sparetimes now as it has become a growing passion as strong as making fanedits was. I'd still like to continue my Silent Star Wars fanedits but I don't know when I'll have the time (or when I'll want to take the time!)
Shameless plug: my Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/tmbtm_tshirt.designs/?hl=en

Hey, no problem at all... I had no idea you were putting your creative talents to other uses, so that's great to hear.  I checked out your instagram account and I must say I'm mighty impressed.  Something tells me I might be ordering a poster or t-shirt sometime soon ;)

Yeah, well the good thing is there are still some edits of yours I haven't seen, so expect a PM soon ;)

Top Bottom