- Reaction score
- Trophy Points
Original title: King Kong, extended edition
New Title: KONG.
Original runtime: 200 min.
Amount of time cutted (including part of the credits): 94 min.
Amount of time added: 2 min.
New runtime: 108 min.
I am a huge fan of King Kong.
The 1933 original is one of the movies I surely saw more than 30 times in the early 80's. You know, all the children love to watch and rewatch the same thing again and again. For me it was King Kong (1933) and Star Wars.
When I saw the 2005 version I loved it. It was not too long for me and the DVD extended version (which I used for this edit) neither.
But I totaly understand people "complaining" about the lenght of this movie, the useless scenes and all.
Another usual complain was the choice of Jack Black as one of the lead actor. But franckly I did not know much about Jack Black when I first saw the movie (he was not that famous in france back then, at least not to me) and I found him good. The kind of character we like to hate.
So why editing KING KONG if I like it?
- Because I think a radical short version of this movie is needed. Several fanedits already exist but I wanted to match King Kong 2005 lenght to the 1933 version. So I tried to find the 2005 scenes that fit the purpose of the 1933 ones.
- I also think Peter Jackson has gone a bit berserk with all the creatures attacks. They, most of it, are still in my edit, but heavily trimmed.
- They arrive at Skull Island in about 20 minutes while it takes an eternity in the original.
- Driscoll now only share one or two lines of dialogue with Ann. And I think it still works well.
- I also added a minute of the original 1933 score somewhere in the movie.
- the 2 deleted scenes are not as good quality as the rest of the movie. Sorry for that. But they are only 1 minute each, and they are watchable.
This is not a grindhouse edit this time! No special effects added, no gags or twisted ending: this is Peter Jackson's King Kong fast-paced.
SL NTSC DVD
- Trailer 33'
- 2 minutes of fanediting.